main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mankind Being Exterminated, Time to Kick Some Butt: The Halo 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Miin_Bodenna, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    A new patch has been released for Halo 2 via Xbox Live.

I downloaded it last night and the servers have been greatly improved. In what used to take 5 min to find some games, it takes at the most 30 secs to find a matchmaking game.

Also noticed a new map :D

2. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I am very disappointed in this game!! It is awesome, yes, but I waited 2 years for something I beat in less than a week! :mad: I just can't believe it!

darth_nemisis

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Try beating it on Legendary. That oughta take you about a year then since the setting is simply insanely difficult. I do think that the Normal and Heroic games were made far more easier than they should've been. :p

Keep in mind that the main draw of the game is the Xbox Live! play. I think that's what most Xbox owners cared about the sequel. The first night I had the game a ton of people in my Friends list I hadn't seen logged in in ages were all playing Halo 2 online.

4. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    I'll have to sign back to XBOX Live, I only stopped it due to limited games to play (MotoGP).

Nemesis, as Invidious said "Legendary" is where its at. I am going to complete that, if its the last thing I do.

Halo 3 is coming, it has to be.

5. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    I cant get X-box live :( :_|

6. -The_Chosen_One-

-The_Chosen_One- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2004
    I'm holding off on Live because
    a-I only have Halo 2 and Battlefront, plus KOTOR
    b-I'm short on cash
    c-the setuop supposedly sucks and it won't be changed whatsoever

All my friends are getting on my back because they want me to get it, too, and I don't feel like it at all. I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone with what I'm about to say...

My friends are all rich bastards who have their parents purchase everything for them. They spend zilch of their own dough. That straight up pisses me off because I recently went on a ridiculous shopping spree in which I spent nearly $1,000 (iPod, new guitar, few new videogames, etc.) and they don't understand that I'm trying to gain back the money I lost, and that would include not spending the money on live. But as of right now they just don't understand that.

7. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    Hey, I have started a Halo rpg in the role playing forum if any one wants to join :)

Halo

8. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Halo 3 better be coming!!

darth_nemisis

9. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Last night me and seven other people played Halo 2. We hooked up two Xboxes together, so one team could be on one tv and the other team on the other tv. All we did was play team slayer the whole time. Halo 2's multiplayer is definatley improved. I like using the sword.

10. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Just beat the game tonight, must say it was a "great journey." I had to read the past four or five pages here to catch up cause I've been enthralled with this game. All this talk about a sucky ending got me bummed, but I thought it was fitting. We all know there will be a Halo 3 now, and like some of you have stated I thought we'd be defending Earth the entire game, too. Hopefully we'll do that next.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    ...I thought we'd be defending Earth the entire game, too.

Bungie had long maintained that you'd only be on Earth during the first few levels(the EGM cover story on it from Nov 02 says as much).

12. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    what did they do with all the cool trailers from the commercials and stuff? I wanted them! oh well still a <*~GREAT~*> game. :p

13. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    If there's anyway for the Master Chief to die, it's sacrifcing himself. Perhaps activating another Halo or some such due to the Flood.

And if the Master Chief dies, the Arbiter has to die before him. It would make perfect sense. The role of the Aribter is pretty much a guaranteed matryr.

It would be really cool if the Arbiter sacrificed himself for the Master Chief.

Perhaps something along the lines the both of them on the last mission or so, and then a huge amount of enemies come after them. The corridor that leads to the MC's objective is close. And then the Arbiter would tell the Master Chief he would stay and buy him time. And it could be a dramatic cutscene where they shake hands or something.

And...and...and...

Halo 3, baby.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    what did they do with all the cool trailers from the commercials and stuff?

Bungie wanted to eliminate loading times during the game, so the awesome-looking FMVs were scrapped. :(

15. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Full-motion video. Basically people use the term to refer to prerendered CG story sequences in games that are better-looking than the gameplay(see: Final Fantasy since FFVII).

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok folks, I am getting an Xbox for Christmas. Hopefully it will be the Halo Version which comes with the first Halo game.

If not, I certainly intend to get Halo2. Should I skip the first Halo? Is it really important that I play the first to enjoy the second one more?

18. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    PLAY THE FIRST!

if you can't buy it at least rent it.

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think you should skip the first Halo; you don't necessarily need it to enjoy the second game, but it certainly helps a lot.

Oh yeah, it's also a damn good game by itself. ;)

20. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Eh, get em both! The original is only 20 bucks anyway.

It's better to be introduced to everything in the first game before you play the second, so you're not totally lost.

21. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    Should you get Halo 1? Absolutely. If you're going to have an Xbox, you NEED a copy a copy of Halo.

Halo is to Xbox as Super Mario Bros. is to NES.

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm holding off on Live because
    a-I only have Halo 2 and Battlefront, plus KOTOR
    b-I'm short on cash
    c-the setuop supposedly sucks and it won't be changed whatsoever

-The_Chosen_One-: Seeing that you have two games that were made to be played on Live!, I think you're missing out. Surely your copy of Halo2 and Battlefront brought a free two-month trial card from MS. If you have a broadband internet connection (DSL/Cable/ISDN or better), all you have to do is to jack the network cable directly to your Xbox or by using a router that will create a small network between your PC and console, call your ISP provider if some ports need to be opened and you're set. Try it out for those two months and if you think the $60 yearly fee is worth it (and with regards toHalo 2, oh yeah baby, it's worth it!) just subscribe. I think it is truly a pittance for over a thousand hours of potential good times.

Now...if you only have a dial-up connection...then I can see why it could be more costly for you. Regardless what is being offered right now, broadband is still is not as cheap as it should. And trying to justify its cost just for the sake of playing online (turns embarrassed face to the ground and points to self) is probably an issue to you or your folks if they end up footing the bill. In the end it's your choice. Get online if you think you can afford it. If you don't, well, there's still plenty of offline games you can rent or purchase. Of course, if you have buddies you plan System Link play with, you might as well go for that too. :)

23. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    While it's certainly fun to get online and run around a game map shooting other players up, I think it's a damned shame when the single-player portion of a game is given the short end of the stick for the sake of the multiplayer portion, particularly on something with as much potential as Halo has.

As much as I loved the first Halo, I think I'm going to save my cash on this new one, and maybe pick it up down the road when the price comes down.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Alrighty, right now I have a wireless connection that runs at 56k speeds. Verizon has/will upgrade my area to a "broadband" speed of 384k. Is that fast enough for Xbox live?

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Is that fast enough for Xbox live?

Should be plenty fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.