main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

March Madness 2010 - Live Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DarthIntegral, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    UCLA was probably a once-in-the-history-of-basketball phenomenon. I can't see it happening again, with an increased parity in college athletics.

2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Darth McClain, you're absolutely right, it's the Husky's seventh overall. It's a back-to-back championship. I got a little carried away, I guess.

But great job for a great team.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I agree completely. Its so tough right now just to get two basketball titles back to back (06-07 Florida was the first since Duke of 91-92)

Then again, there isn't nearly so much parity in women's college basketball. There are a few great teams, and then everybody else (UConn, Tennessee, Stanford, Duke, UNC, and a handful of others)

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, the Penn State Lady Lions were pretty good there, for a while. :p Don't forget about them.

This probably isn't the thread for it, but I do wonder why the talent gets spread out more amongst the men than the women. [face_thinking]

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Money and publicity. There you go :p

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Pretty much, R...J. If I go to UConn as a top flight player in girl's hoops in high school and I'm the seventh- or eigth-best player on that team, I'm gonna win a title or two and graduate and go do something other than basketball.

If I'm a similar male, I want to go to a school where I can showcase my talents and get a chance to go to the NBA. Hence, I need to go where I can get exposure.

Plus, you don't have (at least I don't think you have) college coaches making deals with AAU and High School coaches on the lady's side to drive players to them. You have that all the time on the men's side.

Although, keep in mind, prior to Auriemma arriving, UConn was nothing in women's hoops. It wouldn't take much for another program to do the same. Baylor could be heading there. A title a few years back, and now that mammoth freshman.

And, I can't believe I'm posting deep thoughts about Women's college basketball ...

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_laugh]

That's probably true...the NBA is a lot more alluring than the WNBA.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    And that is an understatement :p

I can't believe I'm just talking this much about women's basketball. That's rare enough for me :p

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah.

Let's switch to the early prediction for next year's champion.

Before everyone declares for the NBA. :p

If everyone wasn't leaving Kentucky, they'd probably be an early favorite.

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    If. But yeah, bye bye Patterson, Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, AND Orton. At the moment, Kentucky doesn't have that much committed for next season... but they do have several top-notch recruits still looking at them who haven't decided but will probably end up going to Kentucky.

Unless Calipari bolts for the Nets... that would be awesome :D

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That'd be fine with me. :p

I know that Carolina has a good recruiting class coming in. Who else does?

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Duke has Kyrie Irving and some other guys coming in... if Singler and Smith come back, Duke should be set to contend again :)

South Carolina actually has a pretty good class coming in... one of the best here in quite a while. I'm looking forward to it!

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Looks like Ohio State has some pretty good players coming in, and Pitt has some lower, but still good, recruits. At least, that's what Scout.com is telling me. :p

14. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Calipari jumping to the Nets would make sense. He's barely a college coach now anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.