main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph MARVEL CIVIL WAR

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi_Will_Kenobi, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonestar52

Lonestar52 Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2005
    As an aside...which side are you all on? I'm absolutely pro-registration.

2. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    MAJOR Civil War #2 spoilers: So Joey Q goes on and on about putting genies back into bottles and what do they do? Have Peter Parker reveal his identity publically. The hell?! (And I can confirm this as I have read T-bolts #103 and that's shown in the background). That's a pretty big bottle opened there and a bad move, IMO.

3. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I love the move. I think it is a great alternative to Joey Q's other want: Making Spidey single again. He's gone on saying Spidey isn't interesting married. Well, this is a way to make him more interesting and still keep Mary Jane. So I like it.

Anyway: Answer to whose side I'm on. I'm anti-registration. I agree whole heartedly with Cap. I don't want to be told who the supervillains are. And, as of Civil War #2 Cable is seen with the resistance. And it's being helped by Fury. And Cloak and Dagger are there. And then the Runaways will probably join the resistance. So...Yeah. My current favorites are all anti-registration.

~*!~-~DOCTOR BEAR~-~!*~

4. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Can somebody explain what the deal is with Civil War: Frontline to me? If I just want the core stuff (and the X-Men arc), will I want this as well?

5. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    Frontline has three stories, as far as I can tell.

All are side stories. One is about two reporters who have differing views on the registration act and how they deal with what's going on and what to report. The second story is about the only survivor of the Stamford tragedy and them going through survivor guilt and exploring their life after the incident. The other story differs each week. But it always centers on a metaphor between a war correspondence from history to what is happening in the Marvel Universe.

~*!~-~DOCTOR BEAR~-~!*~

6. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Ehh...I don't need it.

And weren't there 10 issues planned?

7. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    Yes, there will be 10. Each issue contains three individual stories without ads.

~*!~-~DOCTOR BEAR~-~!*~

8. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Oh now I've got it.

Still don't think I'll be buying it, however.

9. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    What an amazing series this has been with just two issues. I had read ASM #532 before this, so I knew about Peter's decision, but it was still a shocking moment. I can't wait to see how this changes Spider-Man's life.

And btw, I'm totally on Cap's side, even though Iron Man is one of my favorite characters. Cap has been such a badass in these two issues, something that we haven't seen in the entire 19 issue run of New Avengers.

10. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Aaaaah! God I hope I can get to the comic store soon! But it just seems silly when I only want two others out this week, and I should probably be there early for Astonishing X-Men next week. Still...I think I'll be giving in.

11. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    My store had tons of copies of issue #2. Even if it sells out this week (and it will), the issue is simply too important for it to remain unavailable for long. Just stay away from all spoilers if you don't manage to get a copy soon.

12. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    Even though, as far as Marvel comics go, I really only follow New/Astonishing X-Men, Ultimate X-Men, and Ultimates 1&2, Civil War definitely looks interesting. Some great food for thought as well as wonderfully tense situations. Everything a great comic/series should have.

Seeing as how I'll probably only be picking up Civil War and Frontline (I've already read CW 1, CW2, and Frontline 1), how much am I missing as far as storyline goes? And remember, I don't usually follow this particular Marvel universe...

13. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    I'll go ahead and spoiler tag my explination of what you are missing. I tried to be as ambiguous as possible, but some didn't allow for that.

You're missing, so far, the dual personality dilemma facing She-Hulk (She-Hulk #8) as well as the plight of the former New Warriors (She-Hulk #8). You're also missing the full extent of how Spidey made his decision (Amazing Spider-Man #532). You're also missing Wolverine's hunting down of Nitro because no one else is (Wolverine #42). You're also missing out on how the Thunderbolts are involving themselves (Thunderbolts #103). And each issue gives you a greater scope of who is on what side. In the Thunderbolts there is a large screen showing several pictures of people who are anti-registration.

~*!~-~DOCTOR BEAR~-~!*~

14. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    With those two you should have the most important things covered. Still, picking up Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four wouldn't hurt. Those two titles look to be affected the most by what transpires in Civil War.

15. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    The point here is I shouldn't have to get 100 tie in issues to understand the main story in Civil War. I shouldn't have to buy Amazing Spider-Man #532 to find out why he decides to unmask publically. I shouldn't have to buy Wolverine #42 to see him take out the main cause of all the problems in #1. I should be able to buy Civil War and be fine with just that. This is one thing I dislike about crossovers, how the publishers try to milk us for every penny we have with cries of "YOU NEED THIS TO UNDERSTAND THE STORY!!!!!!!!!"

Granted, this was an amazing issue in terms of what it means for the Marvel universe for many years to come. Pick it up for its historical significance if anything else.

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    You can definetly get the core story by only reading the main title. I've read most of the extra stuff myself but none of it seems nessecary to get the core story.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    My opinion...They're going to kill Mary Jane off so that they can have Peter change his mind about being outted. Or someone like Doc Strange and/or Charles Xavier will have to wipe this from their memories. Mark Millar, at least, acknowledges that Peter Parker is not a young man. Having him say that he's been Spider-Man for 15 years, which takes all year long jumps as well as the natrual progress of aging.

18. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Thank God. I'm such a completist and I can't stand having 1 issue of FF hanging around somewhere. I certainly won't be buying anything but the core arc. The jury's still out on Frontline.

I haven't even bought Civil War #1 yet, but my comic shop seems to have extras of everything on the planet. I'll bet Action Comics #1 is floating somewhere in there.:D

19. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I woried about spidey and his family.

Does anyone else find it a little ironic that captain america, who's identity is public, is fighting to keep the identities of the other hero's secret.

20. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    No. Because this isn't just about revealing their identities. Supposedly, at least in the original act, the idents wouldn't be public domain even after registering. This isn't about that. This is about the government encroaching upon the civil liberties of its citizens. And Cap doesn't fight for the Gov, he fights for the ideals this country was founded on. So, no. Cap being against registration is far from ironic.

~*!~-~DOCTOR BEAR~-~!*~

21. Lonestar52

Jun 30, 2005
    Do you really think if we could conjure up James Madison and Thomas Jefferson they would say "Yep...letting crazies run around in masks without being kept an eye on by the authorities is what we were all about." o_O

That's like people who think the Constitution covered abortion.

22. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Of course not. That's why the Constitution was written vaguely, and that's why we even have more than one political party: the Constitution is open to interpretation of the framers' intent. This means that they could never have imagined "superheroes" (I know, it sounds silly, but) so it is up to us to interpret this. The fact is that these people need to be granted the same civil liberties and rights as other US citizens. That's what Cap is standing up for.

23. Lonestar52

Jun 30, 2005
    What? We register Sex offenders, why not loons who run around beating each other up and causing property damage in the name of "The Public Good"?

24. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Because it can't be argued that they have hurt anyone themselves. Think about it. They have freedom of expression except for the clauses of Clear and Present Danger and such involving intent of violent governmental overthrow. So technically Dr. Doom and the Fantastic Four could go to jail if people get hurt during a fight, right? Wrong. In the Marvel Universe, these superheroes are government-sanctioned. Now, with the X-Men seeing government involvement as well, it's likely that any superhero involvement and/or harm involving normal people could be construed as the fault of someone else, namely the villain.

The fact is that these heroes are trusted or were sanctioned by the government.

25. Lonestar52

Jun 30, 2005
    What about the 600-odd dead in the Stamford incident? What about the misc. deaths just from fights over the years? Spider-man, whose actions/inaction with regards to people like Carnage have resulted in the deaths of hundreds?

Superheroes like Spider-man were NOT Goverment sanctioned, that's the whole point of the registration. Even the Avengers, whihc was "official", was backed financially by Tony Stark.

If a Gang member puts on his gang colors and goes and beats up another gang member for "The Public Good" would that hold up in court? No, of course not. Why should we changed the goalposts just because he is wearing spandex and has superpowers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.