main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Mask of Duty - AU - guess what? A POST!!! 12-21-04!! :D

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arldetta, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Can you believe this??? Here I was last night just surfin' the boards real quick before getting ready for bed. While I was looking around I remembered my wonderful Beta, Shan told me that she updated the PB thread listing all the adopted bunnies and their caretakers. As I scrolled down I saw one of her posts thinking it was the list but NO it was another PB. Lo and behold, it spotted me and attacked with vicious fervor. I managed to stave it off for the night. I thought I was in the clear. And then BAM! This morning it found me and beat me into submission. So here I am, getting in even further over my head with yet another fic! :_|

I didn't need or want another PB, but sometimes I feel we just can't avoid them. If scene come flooding into your brain you can do little else than write them down. I know I still have much to concentrate on FnB, and don't worry I'm not giving up on that at all, just had a small bout with DWB but I'll hopefully have a new post on that by the end of this week. I will be forcing myself to go "easy" on this and not get nearly as detailed as I am with FnB. So I am planning(key word here is *planning*) for this to be a "short" fic. We'll just have to see if that holds true. Anyway, I guess I should just get on with this. I hope you all like it. And as always thanks for reading! :D

Title: Mask of Duty

Author: Arldetta/Knight MysAri

Spoliers: Maybe some JA books, I think 7-8 (whichever ones are about Melida/Daan)

Summary: Qui is sent on a mission to retrieve a Padawan. (I'm sure you can guess who it is.)

Author's Note: I think I said enough before. But for formatting italics mean thoughts/emphasis, {spoken through bond} Um, can't think of much else right now. I'll edit if I need to. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------

?So?? she asked, ?Have you decided??

?Decided what?? Her companion countered.

Putting her utensil down, she looked at him directly. She knew he was being coy and she wasn?t about to let him get away with it. ?I know the Council has been pressuring you and I was wondering if you decided on a Padawan yet??

?No, I still have no intention of taking on a Padawan. I am quite content being by myself.? He took another bite of his late morning meal ? or maybe he should just call it early lunch.

Shrugging, she decided to weed out more information by approaching the subject differently, ?You don?t know what you?re missing.?

?Oh yes, I do.? His tone a little harsher than he intended. He had long ago released his frustration over the disaster that his last Padawan turned out to be, but he would never forget the lesson he learned. To pointedly remind her about that dark period of his life, he added, ?Lest we forget Xanatos.?

?But that was ages ago, Qui. He is but a memory. You have focused too much on the bad moments with that boy and forgotten the many joys a young one can bring in to your life. I thought I could do everything on my own and then I found Bant. My life has been enriched ever since. That is what you are missing.?

?You sound like the troll.? Quietly, he resumed his meal. She followed suit picking up another bite.

?You shouldn?t call him that, you know how he dislikes it,? she jibed.

?I know, that is precisely why I call him that. I am hoping it will deter his companionship. I tire of hearing the same arguments over and over.? His voice once again took on a light tone, simply enjoying his time with her. They had known each other for too long ? since their days in the crèche ? that he always appreciated her company. She was a light in his life and managed to bring out the best in him. At times, like this one, he felt like they were first year Padawans again. He paused and watched her for a moment. Where had the years gone? He wondered. But it didn?t matter to him, she was still as beautiful as ever.

She seemed not to notice his attention.

2. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    One of Shan's fantastic plot bunnies written by you Arldetta, what a treat! :)

I loved the beginning and I can't wait to see where you take us with this one. :D

3. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    OMGoodness!! I'm in shock :) I never come to the saga board just to peruse. I have obi_ew's and Shaindl's fics bookmarked so I don't get tempted by the many other wonderful fics floating around. I just happened to pop over here and what do I see at the top of the list? A new fic by Arldetta, utilizing my latest PB no less? What a wonderful surprise! :)

You are just full of surprises Ari, and off to an amazing start. I'm already enjoying the comfortable banter between Tahl and Qui. This looks to be so promising - and I can see how this would be a nice distraction from what has turned into your Forsaken novel :D

Any fic by you has the potential to be great, and I love the little details that you add that are so clearly arldetta-esque - you have your own unique style that i'm sure i'd recognize anywhere :D

Looking forward to when Qui and Obi meet for the first time and to seeing how the Melida/Dann situation differs - if at all from the JA books. Good Luck, i'll be looking for more when you can.

--shan

EDIT: The Melida/Dann story was books 5 and 6 I believe - just fyi :) And . . . i'm not going to push my luck here, but I just had to mention - - don't you have a bounty hunter fic started ??? Like just a post or two?? From an older plot bunny? I know you can only have so much on your plate at one time, however - I just wanted you to know I hadn't forgotten about that one ;) I'll shut up now :)

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I saw this and I immediately had two thoughts. Firstly, a great, long sigh of relief because this plot bunny was calling me big time! and then another great sigh of relief that you took it. I know you will do both characters justice and you've not disappointed me so far! (Just don't forget F&B please).

Great job. I liked the banter between Tahl and Qui-Gon. I think you've captured them both very well. I liked that you had the whole rescue aimed at Melida/Daan. Wonderful as always!!!!

Looking forward to more. Tomorrow?

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    ?I know, that is precisely why I call him that. I am hoping it will deter his companionship. I tire of hearing the same arguments over and over.?

There was so much good dialogue in here it was hard to pick just one, but this was a favorite for some reason. Simply wonderful! It was funny and sweet and a tiny bit sad all at the same time. I can't wait to see updates on this one!

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    **pats PB on the head.** Good little bunny, you chased Arldetta and showed her who's boss, didn't you? ;)

7. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    Great start!
    Did Obi-Wan abandon the Jedi at Melida/Daan ? It would bee a very difficult task for Qui-Gon to bring him back, because he is not Obi-Wan's Master in your story.
    Anyway, please don't forget FB. :)

8. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Hey this is a nifty twist! And I as well enjoyed the little take with Tahl & Qui! Great work!

9. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Ooh! Methinks melikes this plot bunny, and how you infuse this with life. :) Excellent interaction.

I look forward to more.

Thanks for sharing this.

10. The_Hutt

The_Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2004
    Oooh! Another thread by Arldetta! Here I was, having fits because FnB was seeming to be neglected, but hey, I'm happy to have another good thread out there by a good writer. And this one is so intrigueing! Obi-Wan, with another master? How odd...but this is going to make for an interesting meeting between Obi-Wan and Qui-gon. Did Qui-Gon still reject Obi-Wan in his past, or did that not occur in this AU? Woohoo! And also, thanks Shan for the great bunny!

11. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002

Wow, thank you all soooooooooooooo much. :D I wasn't expecting much of a response so to see you all here was quite a treat. :)

So thanks Sheila, Shan, dianeTHX, VaderLVR64, Padawan Kitara, jeday, Kynstar, Lurkalidth, and The Hutt!!!! You have made a girl very happy. ;)

First, I will not forget Forsaken and Begotten. That story is my life(since it will probably take me as long to finish out the entire story which should end at Epi 1 at least if not beyond. [face_shocked] Yeah, I know, tell me about it.)

Second, I told you I will not be going as in depth as some of my other stories, so bare with me. Thanks. :) So I'll try and give you guys bits and pieces as often asn I can. Oh and this is NOT Beta'd so you'll have to forgive typos and bad flow. I do write in the midst of work - mostly - and sometimes my train of thought gets interrupted.

Anyway, here's a little scene for you for today, yes Diane I managed to get you something today. :p I hope you all like.

?She?s gone,? the young man wept as he said the words over and over. ?She?s gone. She?s dead.?

The sheer pain and anguish of the loss overpowered the room. And as much as his heart echoed the same emotions, he stood calmly, not even a hint of the sorrow in his face. He couldn?t find the words to console his companion, so he waited for the tears to abate. His mind focused on the events that had occurred trying to find a way he could have done something different. But every scenario he came up with reaped the same results. Cerasi, a beautiful young woman with an inner strength that surpassed almost everyone he knew, had been murdered. In the short time he knew her, he admired her and in many ways even loved her.

Only the night before, they were sitting up talking. But it was her words that were spoken just before their goodnight wishes that haunted him most. ?Your heart is in shadows, Obi. All you have to do is turn the light on and you?ll see a whole new world.? He wanted to ask her about what she meant exactly but that moment never came. Now he would never know. He wondered again what she saw in him. There must have been something she could see that he himself was unaware of. A sharp pain flared in his chest at the loss of such a brilliant spirit.

Softening sobs still reverberated around the room. Gazing at his companion, Obi said, ?Nield, I know you are hurting, but you must be strong. The Young needs you, needs your strength and guidance. Their immediate reaction will be that of revenge. That is something we cannot allow.?

?Why not? Revenge would be justice for what the Elders have done.?

?But we cannot be sure that the Elders are the ones to blame.?

?Are you accusing me?? If anyone?s to blame here it would be you!?

The words sliced into his soul. There was so much hate and pain. But his Master would have only told him that the boy?s outburst was due to his own feelings of guilt and that they held no truth. The only problem was that his Master was dead, and Obi-Wan had already felt he had failed her. So the harsh words merely doubled his troubled heart. Still, he kept to his Master?s teachings. ?You only say that because you feel guilty yourself. I did not shoot her. And neither did you.?

?Then it must have been Wehutti.?

?It was not.?

?How can you be so certain? All the Elders ever wanted was war.?

?Wehutti loved his daughter as much as you loved her. He lowered his blaster when she emerged from the fountain. Someone else wanted war. Who ever that person is, is the one who caused Cerasi?s death. Perhaps she was not meant to die but that matters little now.? His voice trailed off as he mulled over the possibilities.

?I don?t understand, if I didn?t shoot and Wehutti didn?t shoot, then who did??

?That is what we must find out. I noticed a glint of light on one of the rooftops. From there someo

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thank you, Ari!!!! I can't believe how quickly you've written the first two chapters! I envy you that very much.

It was very interesting how Jedi-stoic Obi-Wan was in front of Nield. Very different from JA and yet the major events are the same. I wonder if the Jedi would be more approving of this Obi-Wan's manners in front of non-Jedi than in the books. Of course, he was hurting inside but Nield didn't know that. I like your interpretation here. I will be patient for another chapter...... okay, you finished yet??? LOL.

Great job but you know how much I love your work. Keep up the excellent work.

13. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    *looks up* Hey, I always see seem to see the same people around here. We must like the same kind of stories. :D

This looks like a really great start. One of the things I really enjoy about your writing is the pacing. You don't rush a fic, but you don't drag it out unnecessarily either.

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Instantly, he sought the wall for support and groaned at the agony that poured over him. Clenching his eyes closed, he took deep breaths until the nausea came back down to a manageable level. His back was on fire and he could feel a slight tingling at his fingertips. His façade of being the perfect Jedi, as his Master taught him, was draining his reserves beyond their limit. He had been running so long with out his Master?s support, he just didn?t know how much longer he could hold out.

Wow! Great chapter! I loved all of the Jedi Apprentice books (and the Quest books, too) so it was nice to see some familiar faces. Looking forward to an update.

15. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    **looks at the story**

Now Arldetta...you told me on the phone that you had picked up this little plot bunny..and I come over here to look at it and what do I see...

AN EVIL START ALREADY!!!

YOU GO GIRL!!

But i do expect to see an update each day ok?

--PT

16. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    This is a great start :)

17. Captain_Observant

Captain_Observant Jedi Master star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    EEEEKKK!!

A new Arldetta story! And she is promising me more Obi angst!!

:D

18. purplebabbit

purplebabbit Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    Yay, another Arldetta fanfic :) This is great, love Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan stories, can't wait for them to meet.

19. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Yes, you can definately take arldetta-esque as a compliment :)

Wonderful start here, and I love that you are using Melida/Dann. Oh, our Obi is being so stoic. I can't wait to see how he and Qui react to each other. Nice place to start too, with Cerasi dying.

Keep up the good work, and i'll get to that next chap of FnB as soon as I can :) Later.

--shan

20. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002

Here ye, here ye!! I gots anudder post fer ya. ;) It's a good thing I can talk English real good. :p

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the replies!!! I love replies. They make me very happy and are great motivational tools as well. The more the merrier I always say. :)

Gratzi to you all: dianeTHX, Opal, VaderLVR64, PT, PadawanKitara, Captain Observant, purplebabbit, and the ever beautiful Shan! ;) :D

So, on with the post......

Qui-Gon landed just outside the city of Zehava in a patch of forest to the east. It didn?t take him long to hide the ship and reach the outer wall. He was searching for a way in when he felt a nudge in the Force. Startled, he looked up to find a rope being dropped. Wary of the possible threat Qui-Gon clasped it and scaled the wall. The Council had warned him that there was a possibility that Obi-Wan had been killed in the interim but he had to find out for sure. If Obi-Wan had been killed then he no longer had any friends in the city. But he needed a way in and if this was a trap it would still get the results he sought.

As he reached the top a thin hand shot out over the edge offering help. Clasping it, he was pulled over and landed on the roof of a building. Automatically, he turned around to collect the rope and quietly expressed his thanks. When the Knight turned around to hand the cord to its owner, he froze in shock.

Before him stood a frail figure, in his mind. A young man in the tattered garb of the Jedi waited. Ginger spikes topped a pale face making the colour even more intense. The young man?s face revealed nothing - no surprise, no grief, no joy - just nothing as dull blue eyes gazed up at him. The gangly youth looked as if he could snap in half at any moment and Qui-Gon couldn?t imagine the wiry form capable of movement. Despite his appearance, Qui-Gon could feel the Force flowing through the youth. Could it be that he had found his quarry so quickly? After the initial shock melted away, the Knight found his voice, ?Obi-Wan Kenobi, I presume.?

?Yes.?

Something stirred in the Knight although he could not name it. One question managed to push its way to the forefront. He wondered if the young man?s appearance was due to time spent on Melida/Daan or under the tutelage of Garg Klp. Klp was from a desert tribe on Sorrus. His people were used to living days, sometimes weeks on end without food or water. And that part of his heritage found its way in to his every day life. It was another one of the differences between them. Still, it was a concern for a later time. His years of service and training kicked in and he began, ?My name is Qui-Gon Jinn. The Council has sent me here to find you.?

?I was beginning to think that my message was not received.?

?The transmission we did receive was not whole and we were not able to discern much. It seemed that the mission had failed and since you were sending the message Master Klp was wounded or worse.? He tried to ease the blow of a Master?s death, too often Padawans that lost their mentors would fall into a state of shock and depression. But the young man?s words revealed neither.

?My Master is dead.? Obi-Wan?s voice was unnaturally steady. ?However, the mission has not failed because it is not finished yet.?

?According to the Council it is. I was sent here to retrieve you and Master Klp and take you back to the Temple.?

?I have already performed the Ritual of Passing. His body has been burned on the pyre and committed to the land. I am all that is left here. I appreciate their concern but I have a mission that I must finish, I cannot leave until it is done.?

?The Council says you are finished.?

?Master, you do not know what is going on here. If I were to leave now, war would continue to ravish this world. I have one last chance to bring peace. I could not, in good conscience, abandon these people. My Master always be

21. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Woman, you are just a writing machine!!!!!! I really like how you've made Obi-Wan so stoic and seemingly unemotional and Qui-Gon much more emotional and Living Force oriented. Great job with the set-up and the meeting of the two. I liked how Qui-Gon recognized that Obi might need a soul healer after his Master's died.

Great job but then you always do!

22. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    You're too kind. :) I was really looking forward to a continuation of this...and to find you're up to three?! Wow!

It's interesting that poor Obi-Wan has apparently wound up w/ a Master who was even more dysfunctional than Qui-Gon. ! It's interesting as well that Qui-Gon's willing to play along w/ Obi-Wan here when O-W isn't his padawan, as opposed to what happens in canon. This opens up an intriguing interpretation of Q-G's motivation in the canon literature.

Thanks for writing this. :D

23. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    I like the fact that Qui-Gon is willing to work with Obi-Wan on this even though the Council didn't give their permission.

24. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
  25. Captain_Observant

Captain_Observant Jedi Master star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    Interesting characterization of both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. I quite enjoyed it.

I am curious to see where this story goes! Keep it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.