main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Maul's Finally Meets His Maker

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth JSlom, Sep 12, 2012.

?

If Maul Is Finally Finished Off, Who Will Be Responsible?

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi

29.6%
  2. Anakin Skywalker [The Chosen One]

14.8%
  3. Count Dooku

9.3%
  4. Darth Sidious

63.0%
  5. General Grevious

3.7%
  6. Asajj Ventress

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ahsoka Tano

5.6%
  8. Mace Windu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Yoda

1.9%
  10. Other

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Right. Which is why he went completely insane instead of "surviving" in any true sense of the term.

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Maybe he's just a manifestation of the growing dark side in the galaxy.. I mean, if midi-chlorians can make life..

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    This would be way more interesting than anything they'll come up with.

Back in the day I remember some crazy debates about the Will of the Force, Living Force vs. Unifying Force, etc.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    He didn't need to come back. Maul didn't do anything prominent enough to really warrant an exploration of who he is so far removed from his initial appearance, both in and out of universe. If the show were set pre-TPM and Maul somehow figured into it, that would be one thing. But it's just weird for Lucas to say "I regret not doing anything with Maul, so how about we just bring him back 10-13 years later in universe (and out), and use him in a story/situation that isn't conducive to fleshing out a character that had zero prior development during a time period in which he's a fish out of water."

It would be like if Lucas was familiar with Darth Revan and decided that he wanted to explore that character more, and so decided to write a plot in which he's been in carbonite for thousands of years and gets thawed out during the Clone Wars. It would just be so... forced. If Lucas wanted to play around with Revan, then write a show taking place in the appropriate time period or just sent notes to LFL to get some influence on the character that way. But don't force it, especially when the story doesn't warrant it in any way. IMO it's similar with Maul. He "died," and even using TCW's own logic, it was acknowledged that Maul was pretty much completely insane for 10 years. Yet we only got to see that play out for one episode, until Talzin's ridiculously convenient spells both restore his brain and give him prosthetic legs. 10 years of hell is undone in 10 seconds of bull crap spells so that we can begin to get to know Maul over a decade later when he should be completely lost and unsure of what has transpired. For all he knew Kenobi could have died in the war.

So Maul's upset that Obi-Wan defeated him because it robbed him of his position as Sidious' apprentice, yet he doesn't seem to have any interest in being Sidious' apprentice any more; he tries to kill Obi-Wan, fails; Says he is counting on the Jedi hunting him; proceeds to go on a rampage, seemingly without a plan; then the plan he forms is to unite a handful of criminal groups to oppose the Republic and CIS, each under the indirect control of Sidious, both with fleets, and massive armies, and Maul is going to challenge them with Deathwatch and Black Sun...? Not only that but he's not even being subtle when he's going out on a rampage, and did he not realize that broadcasting a challenge to Obi-Wan and the Jedi would likely be brought to Palpatine's attention?

What does he think he's going to accomplish here? We keep hearing about how intelligent he is. And he might be intelligent enough to conquer Black Sun and Death Watch, but it just seems stupid to do so. If he considers Sidious his enemy, and if he considers the Jedi his enemies... he has knowledge to turn the two against each other. He essentially has the knowledge to screw up everything Dooku and Sidious have spent a decade working toward, and he keeps his mouth shut? I see no reason for him to stay quiet other than continuity issues if he were to speak up. A dilemma that could have been avoided if they just kept him dead.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Stop making sense.

6. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think one of the main reasons I don't mind Maul's return is because I honestly have no expectations. That's one of the better things about his supposed death: he has no obligation to check off any specific story points. It's been said that since we know Dooku and Obi-Wan survive the series that nothing Maul can do will have any sort of impact. On the one hand, I see the general logic of that, but on the other, with the fixed end already known, the same can be said of the entire show, the prequels themselves, or, if we're feeling a bit nihilistically philosophical, life.

When it comes to fiction, especially a franchise like Star Wars where different works pop up almost at random across a multi-millennia-spanning timeline, I tend to favor the "journey over the destination" approach. Though he may not succeed in his goals to kill Obi-Wan and unseat Dooku from the mantle of Sith apprentice, Maul will be doing things, and even if they don't have enormously rippling outcomes, there will be visible consequences. I'm interested to see the level of involvement he has in the downfall of the New Mandalorians. Will his actions in relation to Black Sun help or hinder the rise of Xizor? He's doing to disrupt good ol' Hondo's business, as well, so I'm certainly interested in seeing what progression Maul's presence has on Hondo. And as I've said before, there's no definite death or known end for the character, leaving the resolution to his plot somewhat of a mystery. Will Sidious actually kill him in their fight? Or does he send him after Dooku as a Sith test of worth? Or does he slink away to hunt Obi-Wan to Tatooine, via Old Wounds?

LawJedi and Togruta like this.
  7. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    TaradosGon, =D= Maul was more-or-less a nobody before, and he was disposed of as such. You make some good points Mia but I would rather TCW focus more on TCW and make better use of the show's original characters instead of brining back ones who don't matter in the least. I would be slightly less annoyed by his resurrection if he wasn't magically restored in mind and body. The way it was handled could've been covered in a newsreel. Now that he's back he'll probably just get dragged around until he suddenly just disappears with the help of Talzin.

8. aldrestjedimaster

aldrestjedimaster Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    I think either Dooku or Sidious will kill him Maul seems to want to kill Dooku (the sith pretender) so why not have a duel between the two and Maul most likely dies (unless Dooku runs like always) But Anakin would be reasonable since Maul killed Qui-Gon but I don't see Tano getting the kill.

9. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Sidious should kill him. It makes much more sense. It's much more logical. Maul still knows things about Sids. By killing Maul, SIDS ties up loose ends. But Maul isn't even talking about reclaiming Sith apprenticeship. I found that odd.

But no, I hope they don't go the stupid predictably route of having OB1 kill Maul. That would b stupid.

10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I'll be really disappointed and annoyed with them bringing him back if he has a quick and meaningless death. I was less then thrilled that he came back. I think it would be more interested if somehow Sidious turned Maul and Savage against one another and then they battled to the death. Now that could be an interesting storyline and worth following. Just no Mace Windu death that is all I ask, if you are going to bring the guy back from the dead at least prove it is worth it to the story telling of the show and not placating the fan base.

11. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Totally Sidious, but I doubt he'll die in the show.

12. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Thus is the great problem with having a Series that MUST ULTIMATELY OBEY ESTABLISHED CANON.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.