main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY Meeting #15 - 11/16/03

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by StarFromIHJ, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teras_Kasi_Master

Teras_Kasi_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2003
    Ok Dave and Busters definetly is not age restricted. Maybe their is like a bar area that is, but thats it. Dave and Busters has a video game arcade in the back for kids. I've been their before and it's really nice.

2. Trooper-C

Trooper-C Jedi Master star 1

Oct 14, 2003
    Hey,everybody,
    How about the Barnes&Noble on Rte.110 next to Tower Records in Melville?Or the Border's book store next to Jillian's in Farmingdale?They both have a discussion area for reading groups and guest speakers.I don't know offhand if you have to rent them.I could try to find out today or tomorrow evening.If these locations have already been discussed and disqualified,then as Gilda Radner's SNL character Emily Latella would say,"Never mind."

3. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    From The Dave & Buster's Website:
    A Reminder About House Policies.
    Dave & Buster?s welcomes all our guests. We respectfully remind you that Dave & Buster?s is primarily an adult establishment. We have long-standing house policies relating to the admission, conduct and safety of all guests. Please read and respect the policies listed below. Some stores may have additional guidelines - please contact your location for these additional guidelines.

Guests under the age of 21 (legal drinking age) must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (a person 25 years of age or older who agrees to be responsible for the conduct and safety of the underage guests). Our N. Bethesda and Philadelphia locations enforce a year-round 11 p.m. curfew for guests under the age of 21.
    One parent or guardian can accompany up to a maximum of four underage guests.
    Underage guests must remain with their parent or guardian. Our other guests appreciate this and our insurance carrier requires it.

Guests must behave courteously.
    Loud and/or abusive language will not be tolerated.
    No pipe or cigar smoking. No snuff or chewing tobacco.
    Smoking permitted in designated areas only.
    We will not admit anyone who is obviously intoxicated. We will gladly arrange taxi service for our guests.
    Loitering or solicitation is prohibited.

Please observe the following dress code:
    Appropriate, clean attire required.

If we do have it at Dave & Buster's do you think we should make a policy that all parents of anyone under 21 must attend? Or would people rather that they take responsibility for anyone under 21?

Maybe I'm just reading the rules wrong. Anyone else have a different interpretation?

Chris, those are both great suggestions! Can you look into getting either of those spaces for us next week at noon? Thank you!

Edited To Add:

The meeting location MUST meet the following guidelines:

1. Be within walking distance of a railroad and/or some other form of public transportation.

2. A public location, e.g., a restaurant, diner, park. Houses will not be allowed as a location for security reasons (I would not want a stranger in my house).

3. Be relatively inexpensive.

4. Be able to hold at least ten (10) people. This number will change as the club grows in size.

5. Be relatively quiet. The noise level must be low so everybody can hear.

6. Be able to seat all of us together.

7. Be family friendly. Children are allowed in. We do not have an age limit on our club, so make sure the place you are choosing does not either.

8. They must not mind us sitting there for two (2) hours or more.

4. RnRJedi007

RnRJedi007 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2003
    well, I plan going there wed. nite.
    Didn't there there were rules.
    The rules are listed on www.daveandbusters.com
    Here they are -under policies

<<Guests under the age of 21 (legal drinking age) must be accompanied by a parent or guardian (a person 25 years of age or older who agrees to be responsible for the conduct and safety of the underage guests). Our N. Bethesda and Philadelphia locations enforce a year-round 11 p.m. curfew for guests under the age of 21.
    One parent or guardian can accompany up to a maximum of four underage guests.
    Underage guests must remain with their parent or guardian. Our other guests appreciate this and our insurance carrier requires it. >>

hope this helps.
    Rob Of Ronkonkoma

5. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    Ok,I have another idea. Sports Plus
    next to Smith Hall Mall.Buses always
    go to the mall. It's across from Toys
    R Us. http://www.sportsplusny.com/

Sports Plus Entertainment Center
    110 New Moriches Road - Lake Grove,
    New York 11755
    Phone: 631.737.2100 ? Fax: 631.737.8704

They have- LaserTron and more
    Plus Kids are welcome there. There is Resturant/bar upstairs too.
    Hope this is more helpful.

Rob Of Ronkonkoma

6. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    Did anyone have any success yet?

7. Teras_Kasi_Master

Oct 16, 2003
    Sports plus sounds like an excellent idea to me. Its perfect.

8. Trooper-C

Oct 14, 2003
    Hey,folks
    I just got home from visiting Barnes&Noble in Melville and Border's bookstore in Farmingdale and inquired at both about holding our meeting and got business cards from both.They both said to call tomorrow to talk to their respective managers.The problem is I will be working alot of O.T. this week and won't be able to talk to them.Maybe one of the club officers could call and speak directly to either store if at all possible.If so,here's the info:
    Borders Books
    231 Airport Plaza
    Farmingdale,NY 11735
    (631)752-0194
    Ken Butcher,General Manager

Barnes&Noble Booksellers
    380 Walt Whitman Rd.
    Huntington Station,NY 11746
    Debra Gaynor,Community Manager

9. MasterSifo-Dyas

MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Sounds like we have a lead on a few potentialy good places. I guess Dave & Busters is too risky on their rules.
    I like the idea of both Rob's "Sports Plus" and Chris's "Barnes and Noble."
    Wel, what do you think we start with this: Rob and Teras; can you make it to the meetings if we do it at Sports Plus this Sunday Nov. 16 ?
    If not, we will try Barnes and Noble this month and next time we'll try Sports Plus if thats closer to you guys.
    What do you think? --Billy

10. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    Billy, I cant make it Sunday. I'm working 9-5 on sunday. My hrs change every week. Well, it pays the never ending sea of bills. LOL!!!
    Hopefully I can make the next one.

Rob Of Ronkonkoma

11. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Okay Rob, We'll look forward to meeting you sometime.
    Okay, Dana was has been very busy so I called the book stores to ask about their discussion areas.
    I was told that any group meeting would have to center around a book reading or a discussion about a particular book, in order for them to allow us the time.
    That might be too confining for us. It might be a good idea for a one time event, if we have someone in the group who wants to lead a discussion or reading of a particular Star Wars novel. It might be a good way of recruiting new members because the store will promote it a little on their calander of events.
    But for now, I think that idea is out.

I suggest we give the Walt Whitman mall food court try. Its in Suffolk and everybody knows where it is.
    Is this fine with everyone else?

We really have to nail down a location in Suffolk so we can regularly hold meetings in a familiar location.
    Okay? --Billy

12. Teras_Kasi_Master

Oct 16, 2003
    Walt Whitman is fine with me.

13. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    So, The Walt Whitman Mall it is?

14. coold1

coold1 Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2003
    I think Walt Whitman would be a good idea. I don't think its a good idea to always have it in the same place, people definitely might get mad with that. Being that Walt Whitman is kind of a smaller, calmer not as crazy mall as say Roosevelt Field or something like that it may be a good idea, although I don't exactly remember what the food court was like there, still it sounds like a solid idea and a place everyone can find without much trouble. Also, we might also want to try the Source Mall too as a fall back spot when we meet in Nassau, although I don't know how much quiet would would get there. Anyway, great ideas people.

15. Trooper-C

Oct 14, 2003
    Walt Whitman mall sounds great to me.

16. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Alright were ready to go. See ya all there on Sunday. --Billy

17. Moorglade

Moorglade Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
  18. Teras_Kasi_Master

Oct 16, 2003
    Where in the food court will you all be? Or should I just look for a bunch of geeks with star wars shirts on? :) Just joking.

19. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    My boyfriend will have his lightsaber.

20. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Well have some very distinctly Star Wars stuff on the table. You wont be able to miss us. Oh yeah well have a real wookie with us. Weve been keeping that a secret.
    No Only kidding. . . No wookie. --Billy

21. KenDeep

KenDeep Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2002
    Walt Whitman sounds good. What time Sunday??

22. Teras_Kasi_Master

Oct 16, 2003
    It starts at 12, and i think it ends at 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.