main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA Meeting in Seattle?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by gimli_dwarf, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimli_dwarf

gimli_dwarf Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2004
    Hi all,

I´m a SW fan of the first hour residing in Vienna, Austria. I´ll be in Seattle sometime in August or September - there is still some flexibility with booking the flight - and would find it extremely cewl, if I could meet up with some SW fans in the area.

Is the a regular meeting there (just to chat, I´m not buying or selling stuff) where fans meet? If there is one, I´d appreciate some contact info and the date as soon as possible.

If there isn´t then I am planning to visit the new SF museum in Seattle in any case, maybe some of you would like to meet there.

In any case, I´d also appreciate any tips on SW related sights in the area.

greetings and
    MtFbwY
    Christian
    (no I´m not - my mom is)

2. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Greetings.

There really aren't any regular meetings anymore. The most active Star Wars groups in Seattle are now the costuming groups associated with the 501st and Rebel Legion.

Alpha Base, the Rebel Legion costume group, has tentatively planned a visit (in costume) to Children's Hospital on 21 August. However, we're still waiting for confirmation on that date.

Hopefully, you're not coming to Seattle BECAUSE of the new SF museum. I've not been yet but from what I've read from those who have, it's not worth coming to Seattle just to see it. If you're travelling here anyway, then definitely go to the museum.

3. gimli_dwarf

Jul 5, 2004
    I´m just going through Seattle on my way to Yellowstone NP. If Yellowstone sucks then that is a bummer - Seattle and it´s SF museum is just a bonus.
    I´m pretty sure that I won´t be able to bring a costume because my rebeltrooper helmet is a little to frail and too big for travelling around.
    I also had a cewl costume as a Stardestroyer (about 5 feet long with the head as bridge, but I had to trash it a couple years back : (

so, no costumes and no prob if the SF museum sucks, what else is there for a warsie to see?

MtFbwY
    Christian

4. DarthNoll

DarthNoll Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2002
    Christian! I'd love to meet a fellow SW fan while you are here! Our Regional FanForce person (Mara_Jade_Fan) made a link to this thread to the Everett FanForce folks... They usually have a monthly get-together that I'm sure they'd love to have you drop in while you're here.

Keep us posted on the dates you'll be here and I'm sure there'll be something going on while you're here! If not, I'd be happy to plan some type of get-together in your honor. ;) If we have a costumed event it would still be great to have you along as fellow SW person!

5. gimli_dwarf

Jul 5, 2004
    That is great. I just try to sample different SW dinners when I travel around - even though the farthest dinner I´ve attended was in Essen (some 600 mi away). Right now we´re trying to get flights into Seattle on August 24th or 31st and then we´ll (my significant other and me) stay for a couple of days.

Costumewise I´ll be severely limited by the fact that I would have to lug it around all over the place. Chances are though, that I´ll bring my heavily worn Han Solo vest.

c ya
    christian

completely off topic: Have the news of the death of our president reached the news in the US? Just wondering.

6. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    " completely off topic: Have the news of the death of our president reached the news in the US? Just wondering."

Ah, not that I've heard. I often listen to a bit of news, including BBC, on the radio during the drive to and from work. News in USA is rather focused on Iraq and the Democratic party's presidential candidate's announcement of his vice-presidential running-mate yesterday.

I'm sorry to hear about that.

I just checked my yahoo news page, where I have Reuters news from UK & Ireland and it's not there, either. Just checked 3 days of AP headlines, too. Nada.

7. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Sorry to hear of the death of the Austrian President. I was only in Austria once, Vienna as a matter of fact, but that was back in 1980. I remember taking a horse drawn carriage ride around the city and seeing a lot of beautiful buildings and fountains.

I have been to Seattle once myself and while I was there, a friend took me to Pike Place Fish market and there was a collectible shop in there that sells a lot of Star Wars toys and memorabilia and the prices are reasonable. I bought quite a few things on my trip to Seattle. I am not sure if the store is still there, this was 2 1/2 years ago that I was there. They also took me to the Boeing Museum of Flight, and the Space Needle of course, and on the Monorail.

8. gimli_dwarf

Jul 5, 2004
    I was just wondering about the regular news - It was on CNN International and also I´ve found it after some browsing on all the newspaper sites over there. It´s just a personal tragedy for his family because his successor has been elected for a cuple of months and would have been sworn into office today in any case.

RE: sights
    Boing museum sound really interesting - that´s a definite go. I´m kinda afraid to walk into comic stores (recovering addict ;) and what is the interesting thing about the space needle?
    I know that it´s tall...

greetz
    Christian

9. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    The store in Pike Market is still there, I think. I live 40 min. south but haven't been to the Market in about a year.

What's interesting about the Needle? It's really tall. From the observation deck you have a great view of the city. Costs several dollars, though, for the elevator ride up.

Museum of Flight is good. They have one of the old Air Force Ones (President's plane...some trivia....the father of one of our Rebel Legion members here was the pilot of THAT particular plane for some years). They have one of the newly retired Concordes. We were invited to help them with their StarToys exhibit last year

StarToys Saturday

Sounds like you'll be here on weekdays when most of us will be at work. We could get together in the evening for dinner and talk.

StarToys Sunday

Seattle Aquarium & Pike's Market

10. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    Gimli, the Everett chapter has regular meetings the 4th Sunday of every month, we are approx. 20-25 miles north of seattle
    http://boards.theforce.net/Everett_WA/b10555/

11. gimli_dwarf

Jul 5, 2004
    @Kai
    Good chance that we´ll have a good view of the city from the airplane. I´ve been on a few high buildings and usually it´s not worth the wait to get up.

Very nice pics on these links. If you´re interested you´ll find a few nice pics of our meetings at

http://insel.heim.at/mainau/330005/costume.htm

(I am the rebel trooper on the very first picture)

Yeah dinner/chat sounds very good - that´s what I was hoping for.

@Cliodna
    In all probability we won´t have a car. Supposedly the public transportation in Seattle is excellent. Are there regular lines up to Everett? (I´ve enjoyed Greyhound once and do not want to repeat that experience)

greetz
    Christian

12. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Nice event photos and good costumes.

Everett is 32 miles north. Seattle transit is quite good. Have looked around local web a bit but haven't identified transit to get up there.

13. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    32 miles kai? I guess it depends where you are coming from in Seattle and how far into Everett you are driving, but Seattle is 21 1/2 miles from my house in Everett, and it's just over 25 miles from the Godfathers where our meetings are held. Gimli, here's the thread with the exact location
    http://boards.theforce.net/Everett_WA/b10555/14065075/?8
    getting to it by bus on a Sunday might be a little dificult though.
    If you give a heads up as to exactly when you will be in town, maybe we can all plan an activity of some sort that will be more accessible to everyone that you can join in
    we have many just for fun activities in our group, like game nights, afternoons at the movies and we are planning a trip to the new Science Fiction Museum in Seattle on the last weekend in July

14. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Cliodna_ben_Lhee.....I used Microsoft's MapPoint and did point to point from center of Seattle to center of Everett, just to give him an idea of the distance.

In his 7/7 post, he said he's looking for flights for August 24th or 31st, which would mean he'd be in town on weekdays. So do you know bus connections for weekdays?

15. DarthNoll

Jul 11, 2002
    I'm not sure of bus routes to Everett, but if he's here during the week he may want to take advantage of the train (the Sounder). I'll see if I can find some info on that. It's a little more than bus fare, but worth it.

The shop at the Market is Golden Age Collectables and they are still there. Christian, Pike Place Market is a definite must for you & your Significant Other. It is right downtown and lots of fun. I work downtown and I could maybe get away for a couple of hours during the day and get you guys started on some stuff to see. I also like the idea of meeting up after hours for dinner, etc...

I did not hear the news of your President either. That's certainly a shame and I hope all goes well for his family and also for the country.

16. gimli_dwarf

Jul 5, 2004
    @Noll

We´ll check the market area out it out for sure. If you want to join us thaqts a definitive plus : )

Re: our Prez: It´s not so big for the country because he died 36 hours before his term would have ended anyway. The US sent Gov. Schwarzenegger to the funeral as an envoy. The russians send Putin. There´s going to be quite a bit of traffic problems with 20+ chiefs of state in our city today.

I´m really looking forward to the trip over there since I haven´t been in the States since 99 (in the last millennium). I hope that we can work out soem meeting a little cloeser, when I know more about the details of our trip.

BTW - yesterday we had our monthly dinner. Some 12 people showed up including guests from Germany. It was quite a bit of fun.

greetz
    Christian

17. jedibusiness

jedibusiness Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2004
    Hallo Christian!

Mal ganz kurz auf Deutsch. Ich wohne in Seattle seit ca. 3 Jahren, hab' 'ne Amerikanerin geheiratet und bin eigentlich aus Muenchen ...

Ob es sich lohnt rauf nach Everett zu fahren kann ich dir nicht sagen, denn ich war bisher auf noch keinen einzigem treffen. Allerdings sei gewarnt, die oeffentlichen verkehrsmittel kannst du absolut vergessen, vor allem wenn du das mit Wien vergleichst. Es kommt auch noch hinzu, dass die Sammler hier nicht so sehr zusammengeschweisst sind wie in Deutschland/Oesterreich ... ; Wie du sicher weisst, wohnt hier in Seattle Guz Lopez, der absolute supersammler, aber ich hab' es immer noch nicht geschafft ihn mal persoenlich zu treffen ... Ansonsten, wenn du was wissen willst ueber Seattle lass mich's wissen. Der laden uebrigens bei Pike's Place Market ist so krass ueberteuert mit SW Zeug, dass ich dort bisher noch nix gekauft hab.

Uebrigens, den Tot von dem austrian president haben wir hier schon mitgekriegt. Allerdings muss man dazu halt mal die News anschauen ... :)

Wegen Comic Shops. Ich hab' hier noch keinen richtig coolen shop gefunden ... leider. Aber ich sammle auch nur Star Wars Figuren und nix anderes ... aber dafuer gibt's halt hier Target/Walmart/KB etc...

Oh, ich war uebrigens vor 'ner Woche oder so im Sci-Fi Muesum und ... ist sehr klein, brauchst du wahrscheinlich 'ne Stunde und dann bist du schon durch. Das wuerde sich dann vielleicht fuer dich lohnen, wenn du das EMP gleich mitanschaust, und die space needle ist ja auch gleich daneben ... Ok, zuviel gelabert jetzt ... :)

jedi-business.com

18. DarthNoll

Jul 11, 2002
    You're right about Golden Age Collectables at Pike's Place - they are really overpriced. It's fun to look around though! There is a good comics shop on 3rd Ave here downtown called Zanadu, but they don't have many SW figures. :( Lots of good comics, though!

So jedibusiness, you are originally from Muenchen? I was just there for the first time at the end of April and I LOVED it. I would live there in a heartbeat. I also realized that I remembered a lot more of my German than I thought I would. :D I can read it a lot better than writing it these days!

19. gimli_dwarf

Jul 5, 2004
    @jedibusiness
    I reply in english because I consider it rather rude not to try to use the lingua francka on an open board. (if you wanna chat in german, we could open a german language thread and chat about stuff like german fandom, conventions we´ve visited and people we might both know - I have no idea how active you were in the german fandom)
    So if you start a thread like "Sprecken You Deutsh?" I´ll promise to post in it.
    I gotta admit that I don´t know the name Guz Lopez (I do have a 10 year old personal invitation from Sansweet though :) .
    I´ve been reading about the SF museum for a couple of years now, and I´ll definitively going to check it out - if only to be the first from my block to do so : )

What is the EMP?

Regarding expensive prices - we do have the internationally most overpriced comic shop here in vienna. Just for regular comics they charge almost twice the cover price. But as I said before, I´m not really in the market for merchandise because I´d have to carry that stuff around for three weeks.

Plans are, that we´ll only be in seattle for a couple of days and if there´s SF or SW related stuff to do and SF or SW minded people to meet than all the better.

greetz
    Christian

20. jedibusiness

Jul 14, 2004
    Sorry for the German post further up ... I guess I just got a little bit too excited to hear that someone from a German speakin' country posted here ...

To DarthNoll: Yeah, I check out Golden Age Collectables at Pike's Place every time I am down there and it is fun to look around .... and Zanadu didn
    t have any SW Figures last time I checked, but they did have SW Kotobukiya Figures :)

I am glad you had a good time in Munich! I hope to go back there in September for a week or two... hopefully it'll work out.

To gimli_dwarf:

EMP (Experience Music Project)
    http://www.emplive.com/visit/about_emp/overview.asp

Gus Lopez (take your time and look at his site, his collection of Star Wars stuff is incredible!)
    http://www.toysrgus.com/gusandpam/bobacabana.html

21. DarthNoll

Jul 11, 2002
    I didn't mind your post - it gave me a chance to translate. :D

22. gimli_dwarf

Jul 5, 2004
    EMP sounds spectacular. I´ll try to check that out even though it has nothing to do with Star Wars.

Pretty nice collection of this Lopez guy. Especially the cereal picture defines him as a lunatic (but in a good way) i think.

How much time would you think the EMP takes usually. As a benchmark I can say, that I´ve done the national aviation museum on the mall in DC in less than a day.
    (took me another half a day though when the magic of myth exhibition was there).

I think I´ll open a germen speaking thread since there seems to be demand.

greetz
    christian

23. gimli_dwarf

Jul 5, 2004
    Hi again to all!

I´ve just received the final booking information for my flight into Seattle. We´ll arrive lat on Sept. 17th and leave on the 19th early.

That would only leave Wednesday, Sept. 18th for whatever Seattle has to offer. I´d like to do the EMP and the SF Museum during the day and would be happy to meet up with anyone interested early in the evening. I´ll be staying on the pacific highway south (close to boeing field) and won´t have a car, so meeting/dinner would have to be close to that or downtown.

I´m really looking forward to the trip

greetings and mtfbwy
    christian

24. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Ah, are we talking 2004? Because Sept 18th is a Saturday. AUGUST 18 is a Wed. Once we get that clear I'll put the date on my calendar and we can plan something.

Exactly were are you staying, as in name of Hotel? I don't remember much except industrie gebiet around Boeing field!

25. jedibusiness

Jul 14, 2004
    If it's in September I'll miss you by a few days. I just booked my flight to Munich and will be gone from the 8th - 22nd of September ... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.