main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CVI Miami News Station Cyber Bullying Celebration VI Fans

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by LordStarwalker, Sep 5, 2012.

1. LordStarwalker

LordStarwalker Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2010
    FYI in case you were not aware of this post Celebration VI event:
    http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/09/cyber-bullying-towards-star-wars-fans-not-cool/

http://www.chicagonow.com/portrait-...or-cyberbullying-the-star-wars-fans/#comments

A Facebook group has formed by the name of WPLG Local 10 Owes Star Wars Fans a Formal Public Apology: http://www.facebook.com/groups/142539569221352

If you wish to help us respond to the WPLG Local 10's offensive content and cyber bullying actions, please join fellow fans and members of the Star Wars community on Facebook.

2. LordStarwalker

LordStarwalker Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2010
  3. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    Apparently it was retracted and the guy apologized a couple of times but remains anonymous. I only read the second one. He sounded sincere. Hard to tell with writing.

4. jedi yuki

jedi yuki Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2012
    i saw it also. i'm from miami and i don't think this guy is a regular reporter from the station. though i still think the station is still partly responsible.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I saw the apology both on Local 10's site and on Facebook. The "official" apology, with how late it was delivered and the snafu prior, still feels like it's the station's attempt to cover their ass. But, honestly, everything they say will feel like that. We have been slighted by a journalist's attempt to be funny, so of course we're all going to still harbor resentment.

They should have come through with an apology first thing, once they realized how they were in error. Now, it feels forced. But, really, I don't think there's much that can be done at this point, short from a suit. Personally, I'd rather not see it go that far. The station made a grievous mistake, and their reputation has been sullied. That is punishment enough.

jedi yuki likes this.
  6. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Trak said: "saw the apology both on Local 10's site and on Facebook. The "official" apology, with how late it was delivered and the snafu prior, still feels like it's the station's attempt to cover their ass..."

I agree with that part. I do think I have seen and heard way more sincere apologies than that. I mean, this guy is now pretending he is a fan of sorts in his apology which comes off almost as bad as the initial offense. If it was slightly more sincere and somebody, anybody, the station manager, owner, director, whoever, showed their face to go with the apology it would go much further in rectifying the situation.

Obviously, as much as we all may disagree about this part of SW or that, it is flirting with the darkside to insult us en mass and expect no repercussions. I really like that we all stand up for each other as fans/geeks what have you. :cool: