main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MidWest Midwest Regional Meeting Planning thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    I hoped you wouldn't beat me on here Luke, because if anyone's gonna catch me in a brain fart it's you. I thought about it on the way to work and realized I must've been smokinng something... because KC is 4 hours, and Omaha is another 2 from KC... actually, if there's no cops, contstruction, or trafic on I-70 I can make it in 3... but that's neither here nor there.

2. Darth_Luinel_Kun

Darth_Luinel_Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    I'm in! Viva la Wisconson. (mispelled on prepuse.)

3. Darth_Djinn

Darth_Djinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2004
    Its all good we are just going to invite the entire Midwest!

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    *Points and laughs at the KC guys*

No worries, my geography stinks at best. Thank goodness I'm marrying a social studies teacher obsessed with it who hates math (which is my thing) we make a nice well rounded pair.

Do we want to try to figure out weekends for sure now? July may be out for me because of my wedding (unsure if it will be July or August) but June's looking pretty open at the moment. Weekends in June 2006 are: 2-4, 9-11, 16-18, or 23-25. Personally I would prefer earlier in the month (for the reson mentioned above) but I'm flexible. There's nothing too big going on here that I know of, but I can check stltoday.com when I get home to see.

5. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    I vote for 9-11 or 23-25 (assuming that the weekend rotation for my little padawan stays the same for the next year).

6. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Gee thanks ;)
    Well I think the 16-18 is Fathers day so that's probably not a good Idea. I think it should be one of the first two. There is a greater chance of nice weather earlier in the month vs. later. Whichever weekend we have it KC will have our Banth BBQ 2006 the other weekend. I would say that we could do it at this event but I don't want to exclude folks from KC that won't be traveling to this.

7. Darth_Djinn

Nov 16, 2004
    I would be game for the 9-11 althought that is a tad earlier then I was thinking.

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I only laugh cause I like you :)

I like 6/9-11/06 because it will be cooler (hopefully) and less humid. Though with St. Louis you never know, we are famous for turning on the heater and the AC in the same day, and have a need for both.

9. Darth_Djinn

Nov 16, 2004
    I think we all are pretty much in agreement on the 9-11 then.

10. gandalfbmg

May 16, 2002
    so, just to recap:
    June 2006
    9-11 -- Regional Meetup
    16-18 -- Father's Day weekend
    23-25 -- Bantha BBQ

aaaahhhhh... 8-} Where did my next June go?!?

;)

What are the chances that the Royals will be in St. Louis that weekend... Do you think it would help if I wrote a letter to the MLB scheduling comittee. They haven't made the schedules for next year yet...

11. Darth_Djinn

Nov 16, 2004
    I think Luke was thinking that the 3rd would be the BBQ if we do the Regional meeting on the 9-11

12. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    The JedIowan Council bids you all a warm "Hello there."

This weekend we're doing our Children's Hospital visit, and next weekend I'm road trippin up to Minneapolis for their local sci-fi convention party. Unfortunately, the party is being put on by people who seceded from the FF, so I don't know if I'll be able to talk any of them into coming to the Regional Meeting next year. I'll be there, though!!

When is the wedding, Dajuan? Maybe we could schedule the meeting at the same time, and we'd all come to the wedding in costume? :) Just kidding, I'm sure you'll be pulling your hair out enough as it is with wedding planning. :) Hopefully not, though.

Anyway, StL is fine with me. I agree it is fairly centrally located, and there's a lot to do. I think wherever you have it, it's gonna be farther for some people than for other people.
    Is anyone up for hitting a Cardinals game in costume? I'm all for the hospital visit, although, here in DSM, we are only allowed a maximum of 5 people in the group. I don't know if there are any such restrictions there.
    I, and likely anyone I can bring with me will need lodging accomodations, though.

13. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Im sure a lot of the Bloomington,Indiana FF would love to meet!
    I know I would and its a great idea!

E-

14. hothie

Jun 12, 2004
    Wow, ok, so I TOTALLY didn't even realize there was a 2nd page to this thread. (feeling a bit like Pink 5.) So, yeah, let's shoot for the 9th-11th in StL. Shall we bring anything other than people, like games, costumes, Runzas (might have to talk the Omaha contingent into bringing those), etc?

15. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Hey! Just thought I'd jump in here quick and let ya'll know that I am hoping to be able to make this. Can't say how many fellow FFers will come with, but I'd be all for a weekend in StL for hanging out and stuff. Any weekend is good for me... just let me know a few months in advance and I'd be happy.

BTW:
    Just to let you know, when those people quit the group, they quit the Fan Force. However, the local FF is till going strong w/out them! The MNFF is hosting a party (Cabana Room 104!!) Drop by and say hi!! - don't forget to mention that your from the JC.

And now.... back to your regual schedualed programming.

16. DemonJedi

DemonJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    Hi im from the Dayton Ohio FF here. I have an Idea of atown that would be more centered for everyone well 2 towns. One that came to mind is Champaign Illionis, or Terre Haute Indiana. I believe if one of these places were picked most Ohio FF will attend Cleveland has a big FF and this would be far for them but I think they would show

17. hothie

Jun 12, 2004
    Yeah, Mirax, sounds good. I'll email ya for details. For everyone's sake, July 2nd in Minneapolis will be the unofficial inaugural Midwest Regional Meeting, held between MSP and DSM FF's. Everyone is invited to attend. Plan your trips now!
    Just kidding!!!!! :)

18. unihawk

unihawk Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2004
    I'm In.
    Anything later in June is good for me.
    St. Louis is a little bit of a drive for us in DSM but it looks like I could carpool with Hothie.

19. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Hey all! I for one think it's a great idea and would do my best to attend and bring as many people with me as possible. A fellow E'ville Jedi member and I agreed this will make a great mini-con. He had a good idea, although I don't know how feasible...he suggested that for a nominal fee (perhaps $5-$10 per person) we may be able to get a SW related speaker to come in and address us.

Personally I like the idea of St. Louis. It is very centrally located and would seem to work well for the Indiana FF's (not that I am speaking for them, except Evansville).

Keep us posted. :)

20. mirax80

Aug 20, 2003
    It's an aprox 10 hour drive from here... but I want to see the arch. I haven't been there since like 1985! :eek:

(sorry, it's been a "random comment" night for me) [face_blush]

21. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I think St. Louis is pretty much set as the location this year. My FanForce is very excited to be hosting it and already has some ideas or where to take everyone. We have a park in mind for the BBQ, as well as a hospital.

I think the June 9-11, 2006 date sounds pretty good. Is everyone ok with that? I'd like to make that firm soon so I can start the hotel and park phone calls.

I will edit these things into the first post so we can keep track of it all.

22. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    *** "We have a park in mind for the BBQ, as well as a hospital" ***

Well, I hope no one needs the hospital! :p

The date sounds good to me!

23. mirax80

Aug 20, 2003
    Hotel calls? Oooh, I thought we were crashin' at your place Dajuan! ;) :D

June 2006 sounds good!

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    My place? Um... Yeah... If everyone's staying here you'd better like animals, cats in particular, you'd better really like the people you're sleeping next to cause you're sleeping on top of each other, and you're going to be vieing for space with my collection and sewing crap. Oh yeah, and all the boxes cause I'll be moving a month or so later to my fiance's. :p I'm a packrat and I live in a tiny house.

Funny girl... :p

Honestly I could put up a person or two here, same at my fiance's. Everyone will probably be more comfortable at hotels though. I've tasted both my and Randy's cooking, trust me when I say they have better food than we do. Not quite bad enough to put you in the hosptial ( :p Luke), but bad.

This week or next I hope to start calling around for hotel deals. I'll guesstimate about 20-30 rooms total that we will need, I imagine many people will share, if we need more I'll try to get that worked in to.

Expect spread sheets, lots of spread sheets. You guys have the statistician on this one......

25. Nikana-

Nikana- Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 13, 2005
    I <3 spreadsheets! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.