main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Mirrors in the PT: Do you enjoy this?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BoromirsFan, Jan 30, 2013.

1. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I am talking about the mirroring aspect of the hobbit. It just didn't work. The film was best when it was telling its own story, not trying to tie into FOTR.

Thankfully there weren't too many instances of mirroring in the hobbit part 1.

It works much better with the star wars films, it brings up discussion about morality and ethics that deal with the specific sets of characters.

Cryogenic likes this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm not sure what you're talking about even qualifies as "mirroring" in the Lucas sense ( where it really means "copying" ). What I can tell you is that the Ian Holm/Elijah scene tying in with FOTR definitely worked for some people. Also, it should be noted that comparisons between Jackson and Lucas on this issue often fail to observe the fact that Lucas was making things up as he went along while Jackson was mostly working from an already-established plot and sequence of events. The real story of "mirroring" between The Hobbit and LOTR is that Tolkien "mirrored" elements of his own earlier work.

3. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I guess I was one of the people who didn't enjoy the whole tying into FOTR. To me it felt like a waste of time because it was far longer than it needed to be. I wanted the story of the hobbit to commence, not hammer signs onto gates.
    -----
    I love how the mirrors in the saga can apply to dialogue or visuals or music. on repeat viewings I find tiny little details that I missed before

Cryogenic likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked that The Hobbit tied into FOTR in some ways.

5. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Well since FOTR is my favorite of that trilogy i suppose I just didn't like how much time was wasted before the actual adventure began. If it was trimmed down I probably would have appreciated the FOTR tie ins more.

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Do you not think they're implied in TPM after Yoda's line, "I sense much fear in you", and that beautiful scene transition where the sun goes down at extraordinary speed?

I'll let George Lucas dot those "i's" and cross those "t"s (emphasis mine):

"The Star Wars saga is like a symphony, which has recurring themes. You have one theme orchestrated in a particular way and place, which then comes back orchestrated as a minor theme somewhere else. There are these little threads running through things that are constantly turning events on their head. You see two people confronting the same things, with different ends. It's a rhythm. I like the idea of seeing something from different perspectives."

(p. 221, "The Making Of Star Wars Revenge Of The Sith", J.W. Rinzler, ISBN: 0091897378)

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The duels between Dooku and Anakin and Vader and Luke with Palpatine watching on was the best thing in the saga. Both were good people but made different choices.

I liked the FOTR prologue in the Hobbit. Great touch.

8. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Money =/= quality.

That being said, I liked the mirroring in the PT. I don't want it back in the ST, though.