main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Misconceptions about Canada

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Entil`Zha, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    FF Missouri called. They claim someone escaped from their facility and headed north. They want him back. :p

2. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    *runs*

ThEY'lL NEvER tAKe mE aGaIn!!1!1!1!!!11!!

3. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Lol...yodaboy, I am a fellow American (Florida)...but Americans have thought some pretty crazy things about Canada...it's really hilarious, if you look at them with the right perspective...this thread is just to bring to light some of those issues and settle them through laughter, and the occasional sarcasm...lol...

And yes, everyone is crazy...in their own little special way...doesn't matter if you're American or Canadian...WE'RE ALL NUTS!!!! HEHEHEHEHEHOHOHOHOHOHAHAHAHAHA [face_laugh]

4. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Hey Admiral! Why don't we kidnap Yoda boy and hold him for ransom. Missori, won't come into the country to get him. They'll freeze to death before they even get close.

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I have a better idea. Put him in a cannon and launch him to Cuba. ;)

6. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    LOL!!!

What has he done deservin death? You have to remember, as Americans, we are not generally liked in Cuba...or is that your plan all along??

7. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, you see, massive mobs are forming, trying to kick him out of FF Canada. Better red than dead. ;)

8. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    LOL...point taken

*hopes that the fact that she goes to a Canadian college will exempt her from the wrath that could incur due to her American citizenship*

9. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    As long as you show this country respect, you shouldn't have any problems. You may get a few people upset with you if you fly an American flag, but you have a right to do so.

The other option is start filling your sentances with "eh", sew a Canadian flag on your backpack, and change back and forth between French and English multiples times during the course of a conversation. People won't have a clue you're American. ;)

EDIT: Oops, you're from Florida. Nevermind then. There's no way you'll be able to hide the accent.

10. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    LOL!! AT60, you are so right. In the three years I've been in New Brunswick, I haven't lost the accent yet! And I don't intend to, either ;) . I have a great amount of respect for Canadians. I think y'all (speakin of accents...) are awesome!! There are a few things I refuse to do (say 'eh', sew a Canadian flag on my bookbag, etc.), but that doesn't mean I love Canada any less...just means I'm very proud to be an American...

And, bein that I'm from Florida, if I switched between any two languages, it would be English and Spanish!!! hehe...

11. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    You're 22, so you won't lose the accent. I think the rule is if you're over 10, your accent won't change. My family has lived in Canada for a decade now, but my parents still have very thick German accents, according to my friends.

12. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    That's cool...I've never heard that statistic before...I've accomplished one of my goals that I set before I left home...I said that I would never say 'eh', and I'd have my friends sayin 'y'all' by the time I left! So far, so good...my only slip-up has been sayin 'pop' at IZird's house once...but for three years, I'd say that was pretty good!!!

13. lori71

lori71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    As a proud American, I have a few things to add:

- Canadian's have to wait 6 months to see a doctor for an ear infection.

- Canadian's drive like nuts...100 KPH is that same as 100 MPH, right? (Actually, having driven on the QEW and 404 in Toronto, I have to agree with this one.)

- All Canadian's are forced to speak French and English.

- All drugs are over the counter (no prescriptions ever needed for anything).

- There are polar bears in the Lake Country north of Toronto. Hudson Bay...Georgian Bay...close enough...(While we were living in Toronto for the summer, my 10-year-old son wanted to take a day trip to see them!)

- Canadian's hate Americans...I can't imagine how they came up with that one...I'm really feeling the love in this thread. :)

Love,
    Your neighbor to the south

14. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    LOL @ lori71...

"Canadian's drive like nuts...100 KPH is that same as 100 MPH, right?"

LOL!!!!!! :D [face_laugh]

It's funny 'cause it's true.

15. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    - Canadian's hate Americans...I can't imagine how they came up with that one...I'm really feeling the love in this thread.

Some do, some don't. The hate is in varying degrees. Some Canadians love America, some like it, some have a mild dislike for it, and some hate it. Anti-Americanism has been rising in Canada recently due to the policies of the Bush administration, and the younger generation (the one entering the workforce now) is, in my experience, the most anti-American one. Not one of the people I have talked to at school on this subject (I've talked to about 8) like America, and some, like my best friend, downright hate it.

16. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Ummm....AT60....I think she knew all the right answers, you didn't have to educate her.
    She was adding, sarcastically, other misconceptions about Canada. She's adding to the joke, she wasn't serious.

17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Are you sure? She's not Canadian. How would she know these things?

18. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Well, I'm not Canadian, and I know these things...I just think it's unfortunate, but the best I can do is live to break the stereotypes...that's one of the missions I have for my life...live above what people's expectations are about Americans, Christians, dysfunctional family homes, and the like...guess I got my work cut out for me...I love Canada, though!! It's awesome!! :D

19. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Hey about the accent thing, what about Mel Gibson? He's australian and he doesn't have an australian accent anymore.

20. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Actually, I think he does have a slight one, doesn't he?

And Arh-nold (y'all know who I mean!) is Austrian, and still has his accent...but I think it is possible to lose it, or at least adapt another one, dependin on how long you're in the region and exposed to it's particular accent

21. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Nah, Mel's is gone. It's hard to tell that he's Australian. As for Arnold, he just wouldn't be the same without HIS accent!

22. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I can't see Arnold ever losing his Austrian accent.

I hope I don't develop an Ontario accent when I move there... :p

23. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    LOL...the only thing I've noticed about Ontario people's accents that are different from what I've seen of the rest of Canada is that they say "eh" quite a bit more than your average Joe Canada...

24. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    We do eh?

*oh crap..did it again

25. lori71

lori71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    "Ummm....AT60....I think he knew all the right answers, you didn't have to educate him"

He is a she, but I'm not a changeling. :)

Anyway, we American's don't really mind the fact that so many people dislike us. You see, most of the the world thinks that American's are "fat" and "selfish". In fact, we're just "thick-skinned" and "don't care". (hee..hee..hee)

My family and I love Canada. We spend a few weeks every summer on Manatoulin Island, Toronto (best Dim Sum on this side of the globe) and/or Otter Lake in Parry Sound. I read the Toronto Sun a few times a week on line. I love the editorials. The Canadian's really have a knack for making scathing remarks, but in the most humerous ways.

OK, enough of the love fest. I'll let you all get back to fixing your igloos and cooking moose on a spit.

Wait...One more question for those of you living in the Toronto area. Are you sick of people asking if you know or have seen Hayden?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.