main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending August 4

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Mod Squad Update for the week ending August 4

More JC Games?

A couple of ideas were tossed around for new games we could host that would allow JCers to play for temporary VIP colors. They include:

• An official JCC Stock Market Competition, which would effectively be like the existing one with the added bonus of VIP status for the winner.

• A JC Election, based on American politics, in which members would form political parties, based either on real life (like Republican & Democrat) or Star Wars (like Movies Only, New Republic, Empire, or Hutts). Each party would hold a political convention, deciding on their Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate. There could then be debates and, finally, an election in which a "President" would be elected. The prize could be a special icon and/or patriotic colors. For example: red, white, and blue for an American user or red and white colors for a Canadian user. If the president broke forum rules, the moderators could act as a Supreme Court and start an impeachment trial, in which case the Vice President may become the President.

Games Forum Banner Contest

jp-30 showed the six banner entries for the Games forum:

The fifth, created by Obi_Wan_01 was the most popular among mods and gamers alike, so it was added on August 1. Congratulations, guys!

Social Group Advertising

We also discussed whether or not it was okay for social groups and clubs to advertise in the New User Forums. It was decided that, as long as there isn't an excess of clubs or spamming, it's a harmless way to make friends.

Promotions, Resignations, and Vacations

• DarthSapient announced that he'd be at the beach with his family from Aug. 2-11.

• Oakessteve announced that he'd be gone between Aug. 2 & 6.

• As a TFN staffer, Night4554 was given VIP status.

• Tinman and SHead were given VIP status, as former TFN staffers/admins from the UBB days.

• After a period of inactivity, scifi_3d_zoo was repromoted as moderator of the Sci-Fi 3D forum.

• As the staffer in charge of TFN/JC banners, Carter-TFN was made given Administrator status.

• AlphaWolf and Commander Antilles both resigned as FanForce United Kingdom mods and will be given VIP status. We hope to get a new FFUK mod soon.

• Due to a sudden, drastic change in his work schedule, Kadue found his online time severely limitted and thought it best to resign as Administrator. We've been discussing his best replacement and have agreed on Padme Bra as the best choice, due to his JC experience and programming skills.

Punishment for "Fake Spoilers" in the Literature Forum

Liz Skywalker posted a thread asking for our policy on what to do with users who put fake spoilers in their signatures after there was a large uproar in the Literature forum because of one. It was decided, based on a previous scenario involving AOTC spoilers, that fake spoilers are not allowed and that any users who posted them without a fair warning would be given a warning or spank, depending on the severity of the offense.

Private Message Complaints

There were a couple of threads asking for an administrators' help

2. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Thanks for the update Nathan. :)

Tayschrenn

3. JangoFettClone

JangoFettClone Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2002
    Good update Nathan

4. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Yes, good update. I have one suggestion though: with the JC Election game, should it go ahead, I would strongly advise AGAINST using real-life American political parties. Apart from alienating anyone outside of the US, it may bring up political issues we don't want in the JCC. I suggest using NR, Empire, Trade Federation and the like, it's more suited to the nature of these boards.

:)

5. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Due to a sudden, drastic change in his work schedule, Kadue found his online time severely limitted and thought it best to resign as Administrator. We've been discussing his best replacement and have agreed on Padme Bra as the best choice, due to his JC experience and programming skills

Sorry to see you go, Kad...that just sucks so bad. PBra, congrats, and I hope you can do as good a job as your predecessors.

Ideas to improve Community
    Is there anything decided? What you guys have here is pretty weak...it wont do much at all. There are too many social threads, too many threads without any point to them, too much redundancy, too much of a lot of bad things. You guys look like you are only going to touch on the easy topics, and not make solid policies regarding the more difficult areas.
    And something needs to be done about mod conduct there.

If what you guys wrote is all you have, then its pretty disappointing actually.

6. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Due to a sudden, drastic change in his work schedule, Kadue found his online time severely limitted and thought it best to resign as Administrator. We've been discussing his best replacement and have agreed on Padme Bra as the best choice, due to his JC experience and programming skills.

Wow. Sorry to see you go Kadue. PB, congratulations on your promotion. I know you will do a good job.

A JC Election, based on American politics

The only problem I see with this is: How many "Presidents" are we going to have, since there are more countries that just the US and Canada represented here.

Deleting YJCC

[face_laugh]

Anyway, great update guys. Keep up the good work. :)

7. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Say it aint' so, Kadue! :_|

8. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Great update Guys! :D

I wouldn't say the ideas for improving the YJCC are weak... it's just a matter of working out which ones would work best....

LittleJedi

9. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for the update Nathan. :)

10. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Gr8t work.

The Election game sound like fun :)

11. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Congrats to PBra! And for this occasion, I won't link to the WhyWeHatePadmeBra ezBoard :p [face_laugh]

Resticting congratulatatory threads to 5000+ posts and 1 year or more (JC membership) anniversaries. Oh, and that wouldn't mean that you can start threads congratulating people on getting 5001 posts.

I'd rather have this than a single "a 'I hit [insert number] posts!' thread". I'm also curious if I can trade in my 5000 post thread for a 4554 post thread.

¤Night

12. Big_Oil

Big_Oil Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2002
    ::winks at whatever member becomes head of the republican party:: [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

13. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    I'm sure certain exceptions may be granted, Night. :)

Congrats Padme Bra, btw.

Tayschrenn

14. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    This politician thing sounds interesting, be sure to keep us up to date. :)

15. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Stronger penalties for "thread hijackers" who take threads off-topic. Not surprisingly, our thread then wandered into a discussion of e-mail wedding invitations vs. traditional snail-mail cards.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

The election game sounds like fun! Although, like the others, I don't think it's a good idea to use the American parties. Maybe more JCC-related ones...like Pro-Spam? :p

16. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    hmmmm... who else is gonna be in the green party :D

17. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

thank you for the update Nathan...

you will be missed Kadue, but i wish you the best in your new endeavors..
    and congratulations are in order to Padmebra as well as Night4554

and another excellent Beatles parody, Son of the Suns!!

18. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Darn, Kadue! You were good :D
    Way to go, PadmeBra! You'll make us all proud (or hate you, whichever you want :p)

19. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    If you're going to start making official topics for Community, you realize that you're going to have to make them all sticky. Once they drift off the first page, they'll be forgotten.

Heck, even if they're on the first page quite a few will still not pay any attention and post their own topics.

Can we get more types of threads on the verboten list? How about threads dealing with watched user lists? There have been several of those lately and they're basically pointless, people either complaining about not enough people watching them or somebody taking them off their list.

20. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    err... i'll send this via PM... :D

21. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Great update, thanks Nathan. :)

22. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Good job!

:) DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

23. SaberSlinger

SaberSlinger Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Monday's newbie's learned to post a plain face.
    See how they run.

JC Mod-onna, locking threads about the breast.
    Wonder how you manage to lock the rest.

[face_laugh]

Congrats to PadméBra and thanks to NathanDahlin for the update ;)

o]||||{ -------SaberSlinger-------

24. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Polls in Communications...
    Ah, satisfaction. S-a-t-i-s-f-a-c-t-i-o-n. :cool:

25. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    I met Jaleel White.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.