main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Model detail?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Hurreman, Sep 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurreman

Hurreman Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2003
    First, a short "Greetings" to everyone, since this is my first post here.

I'm a 3d Studio Max user, but I always seem to have trouble creating detailed spaceship models without greeble, so I'm just wondering, is greeble a big no-no, and if so, are there any other special techniques I should consider? Extruding faces is getting tedious! :)

Here's a picture of my latest model (a bit off-topic, but I'd just want to show my lack of skill)

Cruiser

2. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Greeble isn't a no-no per se, if you're happy with the results.. but extruding panels and using Greeble only adds little square boxes to your model.. that's not detail, that's just.. square boxes. If you want real detail on a model, the key word is "patience", because each and every nurnie and pipe will have to be made, by hand, one at a time, and placed accordingly. Takes forever, but it's well worth it.

3. Hurreman

Hurreman Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2003
    So more or less, it's the result that counts, not the way you accomplish it? Well, guess I won't get the result I want by using greeble alone anyway, the final touches are always needed...

Just whipped together a tie-interceptor and added some 'detail' with greeble, the result:

Tie Interceptor

Anyway, thanks for the reply, and I'll try to remember that word... Patience, was it? :)

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.