main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks More trooper mods

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by christoff88, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    Still think that self containing the voice unit is a great thing, when I had my bucket, it was truly wired to tha mouth grill (with the wiring from the fans, speakers, and mic system).

I'm glad that this thread is still being used, it was definitely a resource that all of us Troopers in Progess needed to have access to at one point or another . . .

As for casting, I haven't worked with that as of yet so I really couldn't say what would be on that other than seeing what the DH2 site has on there.

Take Care Friends

John

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    The DH2 site is a bit confusing on how they worded how many bandages you'll need. But I think I finally figured it out. I think I need a total of ~36 bandages.

For ordering the bandages, I don't know of any places locally, so I was expecting to have to order online. The best price I've found so far is This one (bandages towards bottom). Does anyone know of any better prices?

It seems many people on here that have built their own armor didn't make a body cast, or did it by some other method. If so, then how did you sclupt your armor?

3. prop_master

prop_master Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2003
    I basically followed the DH2 website,but instead of making a full bodycast,I just cast bodyparts as and when I was doing the different armour pieces.I started off with the bicep,just the outside half,and used that to do the inner part on the other side too.I also just used ordinary bandages and dipped them in plaster,alot cheaper too.You could use old rags or towels even.You are only after a basic body shape to sculpt on.I used air-drying clay to make my moulds,but you must not let them dry out or they'll crack.I covered them with bin liners until I was ready to make a plastercast.If you need any more help,just ask,I have made a full stormtrooper kit from the ground up,so there isn't much I don't know.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

4. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Just so wannabe Dirties know... It's a requirement to now have the Backpack in the 501st...

So remember... you have to have the backpack to become a TD... (Sandtrooper)...

5. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    I am in the process of finishing up the weathering on my suit right now! A friend of mine is working on a back for me and I need to modify a pauldron to fit me too. But for all intents and purposes, I am dirty now!

6. StormLeader

StormLeader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    Mirax,

Way cool... I hope you'll post some pics soon of the new dirty look.

Jim Marshall
    501st Stormtrooper TK-6411
    Star Garrison Public Relations Officer
    South Texas Squad
    San Antonio, Tx

7. scottstoybox

scottstoybox Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2004
    I don't know if many of you have tried Eastern Coast Costume for your footwear. I got a synthetic pair of VERY TALL boots for my Vader and they are very convincing. They also offer a similar pair to the Stormtrooper shoe. It is synthetic, but looks very good from the pics and the best thing? Only $24.98! I've not seen them in person and I'm not sure what they mean by "Front stitching like Florsheim", but this may be a good alternative to those on a budget. I'll let you know when I start my Trooper next year! Here's the link: http://www.easterncoastcostume.com/Pages/gogoboots/gogo_boots1.htm
    http://www.easterncoastcostume.com/Pages/gogoboots/1101WH_.jpg
    Hope this helps!

8. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    I will be sure to post some pics when it is done. Hoping to have it all ready in time for Mega Con in Feb.

9. Tri-Som_Gare

Tri-Som_Gare Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    I rarely post here anymore, but always read and this is a great thread! I am a member of the 501st for 4 years and am getting ready to weather my armor finally! I made a backpack a couple of years ago and just recently made binoculars. For those interested, I have a very crude website that has a page on the mods I did back then, a few pics of my backpack and a short tut on how I did my boniculars. I just recently made droid callers as well, although those pics are not up yet since my digital camera died. Anyway here is the linky:

Gary's crappy temp webpage

I plan on upgrading to a real website after Christmas so please bare with me at this time.

10. ObiJuan70

Jan 1, 2001
    Hey Gary, thanks for posting man, it's good to see a Brother in Armor stopping by to browse through the thread . . .

I commend you on your work and can't wait to see the updates to the site . . .

Take Care
    -John

11. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    Hey Mirax... how goes the work?...

12. tk2972

tk2972 Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2005
    Hi there to all who have participated in this long and informative thread. I have just ordered an FX kit and am eagerly awaiting its delivery - desperate to join the 501st now I know it exists and that I can participate even in the far reaches of New Zealand. I have poured over this thread (that's quite some reading) and wanted to express my thanks to those who have imparted their experience with kit building and mods. I am not sure if I am more nervous now than I was prior to reading the thread, but I hope to patiently take my time and build a good looking kit. I'd like to go straight into assembly with snaps/domes rather than velcro (based on what I have read) although may chicken out and follow the manual verbatim. I'll let you know how I get on. Kind regards, Aaron (hoping to be TK 2972 real soon)

13. grey_starr

Jan 22, 2004
    I'd go with both Snaps and Velcro... depending on where... And there are parts of my armour I just Glued solid... no reson to take them apart IMHO... (like the shoulder straps)...

14. BASSOFeeSH

BASSOFeeSH Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2000
    Do NOT follow the manual word-for-word. In fact, you'd almost be better off burning most of it. LOL You can check out my site for how I went about things.

15. tk2972

tk2972 Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2005
    Grey_star and BASSO,

thanks for your comments. I have heard that my armor has cleared customs and is now in my country (yay) so i just have to wait for it to travel between our islands. Appreciated your input regarding the instructions and use of velcro, snaps etc.

BASSO, your website is a great resource..thanks for the effort you've put into it and for sharing your experience...i will undoubtedly be refering to it as I build. Liked the look of the darkened helmet interior, a nice touch.

*** a question - can you describe in a little more detail or perhaps send me a pic of the industiral strength velcro please? I am interested in seeing if it is availble in my country although am not sure how it differs.

kind regards

Aaron

16. BASSOFeeSH

Nov 10, 2000
    Thanks. :)

I'm not sure how'd I'd describe the IS velcro other than that is simply stronger. Not only the hook & loop parts, but the adhesive itself. I found it all over, including stores like Walmart, craft stores, hardware stores... I did have to shop around for the different colors(black, white) as well as the different sized packages.

Here's Velcro's official site for the product.

http://www.velcro.com/CONSUMER/products_is.htm

17. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree, the industrial strength velcro is excellent for use on armor. I've had some on my armor for about 2 years now nd it's never come unstuck, even in the Florida heat.
  18. ObiJuan70

Jan 1, 2001
    Greetings from Texas Aaron and congrats on your armor purchase !!!

While I agree with the reviews of industrial strength velcro, I am still a firm believer in the snap system. Granted, snaps are not unflawed either since sometimes they warp and come off but either way you go comes down to your own personal preference.

I have to say that I really enjoyed contributing to this thread cause I know I was in the same boat that some of you were, whether or not to follow the manual. I still say as far as the glue is concerned, Plumbers Goop is the best since you can work with it better than the ABS cement. ABS cement can scar your armor and if you mess up, you have the option of sanding it out or calling it battle damage :)

Plumbers Goop does build a solid bond but you do have the option of taking it apart (with some force and ALOT of patience). To the Ladies and Gentlemen that still frequent this thread, please keep postin tha pics of your finished work, it's always an awesome thing to see your completed work . . .

Take Care Friends

John

19. BASSOFeeSH

Nov 10, 2000
    Oh, snaps are good too! I used IS velcro, Snaps, Rivets, nuts/bolts, & ABS cement. I wanted to use plumber's goop, but I could never find any. Rather I found pretty much every other different type in the "GOOP" brand.

20. tk2972

tk2972 Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2005
    Karma, Obi & BASSO

thanks again for your comments. My armour arrived at my doorstep in new Zealand 3 days after it was sent from LA. I was VERY impressed! I have started work on my kit. Aerators first (I know, big scaredy cat) but then I glued the fronts of the thighs and put shims in the calf/shins . I am not sure what to do with the backs of the thighs as they dont really match up too well - I have the extra large ones that can be trimmed down, although I seem to have the extra large thighs as no trimming is needed :( I am guessing I need to get the heat gun onto the join and try to get each side matching up - down the bottom at the ridged part.

[edit] - i have now painted the helmet interior black, cut out the frown, installed the aerators and flat green lenses.
    I am contemplating the cod / butt piece separations..although am very apprehensive. I now have snaps to begin work on the chest, shoulder bells etc.

Appreciate your help and words of encouragement.

Aaron

21. BASSOFeeSH

Nov 10, 2000
    lol I was far to scared to do so much, so fast!! Kudos to you for jumping right into the fun stuff.

As to your question about the thighs, I had a similar problem with the bottom not fitting correctly. I can't find a picture of what they originally looked like, but Here is a picture of how mine turned out. I didn't do any heating, just cutting.

Make it fit as best you can, but remember that YOU are the only one who will probably ever notice.

22. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    Hi All, Another Kiwi here and getting stuck right in like Aaron, seems we both got our armour at a bout the same time :D

So far I've sprayed all the parts, and blacked the interior of the helmet. cutting out the frown and adding the vinyl and mesh was quite fun. At first I sprayed the frown grey but wasnt happy with the result. in the end Instead of using the sticker provided I cut my own out of the extra grey vinyl and folded each piece into the holes. I used a bit of superglue when placing the mesh to make life a bit easier, then went into it with hot glue. the mesh i used was actually from the side of a fruit box, and I had it lying around in my hobby box for years :)
    I'll see if i can load up some pics tonight.

Decided to go with the bubble lenses for now, I like the look of them. now onto the other stickers, helmet is coming along nicely! Blaster is sprayed black too, so once the helmet is wearable I'll probably go running about the house shouting "close the blast doors" :p

cheers for all the info so far! My Very first Question is: How many people use the provided Hard Hat Liner? I havent been able to figure it out. is it comfortable, or should I go for the padded lining interior that some people suggest?

23. Mirax H

Aug 16, 1999
    Personally I used snaps and rivets. The only velcro is on the backs of my shins to keep them closed. And even that has come off and had to be gooped back on. Not a fan of just using velcro.

24. BASSOFeeSH

Nov 10, 2000
    I'll see if I can get a picture of how I (temporarily) mounted the hard-hat liner, because I had no end to problems figuring out how to measure it's placement correctly.

25. ObiJuan70

Jan 1, 2001
    Hi Aaron, you can use a heat gun to mold the armor pieces a bit but just GO SLOW - Heat, Mold, Cool.

As for the "Imperial C-section", trust me, in the long run, you'll enjoy the opportunity to sit in your armor and not look like a fallen statue. To initiate that cut, use the smallest drill bit you have to create a "dotted line" then later on you can either cut along the dotted line or use that same drill bit to connect the dots. Just remember to go slow . . .

Greetings Chan, on your question about the hard hat liner, I did use mine in my original bucket, it wasn't mounted to the helmet but to some plastic pieces so that it made it more easier to move to your liking and finally plumbers goop it to the interior of the bucket.

Wish you all the best on your work friends . . .

Take care

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.