main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most exhausting kinds of sports?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Skiara , Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    What kinds of sports would you suggest if someone asks you for the most exhausting sport you know? Which sport is so exhausting that you just would like to fall asleep afterwards?

I know every sport can get that exhausting depending on how much you train. But I mean those sports that you do just because of the fun and from which you get very tired even if you don't give everything in the training or at least you don't feel like it.

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Iron Man Competition. I'd take a nap for a week after that.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I always think Sychronised Swimming must be really tiring.

4. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] So true. I bet that I would be dead afterwards for a month or so... :p

5. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    As far as team sports go, I'd say football. You're not just running like most other sports, you got people smacking the crap outta you every single play. A running back will get tackles 20-30 times a game... I don't know how they do it.

Also, being a pitcher isn't pretty. I've pitched before, and when I got to around the 80 pitch mark, my arm felt like it was gonna fall off and my left leg felt like it was amputated during world war II or something.

6. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    The most exhausting sport that i've played is easily Soccer (or Football for the folks on the old continent :p ).

In games like Football and Hockey, sure they're probably more physically demanding, but you've also got fairly regular intervals where you aren't on the field (say, when the offense is on the field, the defense is on the sidelines in football, in hockey you have line changes.)

In Soccer, you are out there for the entire game (unless substitued.), and you are constantly running back and forth. Sure you can take periods where you can walk a little bit, but these periods are about 10 seconds or so before you have to get back into the play.

Easily the most physically demanding team sport i've played.

Swimming, of course, is also pretty demanding.

7. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Gymnastics, and Ballet.

And no, that's not a joke.

Even though games like football(soccer), and basketball do involve massive amounts of running.

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I would like to take this opportunity to point out that I was perfectly serious in my suggestion, too.

9. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Competitive swimming takes tons of stamina, I didn't think you were joking.

10. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    I think it would have to be something like a marathon, the mile, etc. Something where when you're done, you're done. I can't think many sports where the person looks like they can't go a step further at the end of the competition.

11. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I played a lot of sports when I was younger. I played four years of soccer, and nothing tired me more than that.

12. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I agree with swimming/long distance running

And trampolining too. It is great fun but can tire you out sooo much. I used to train for about 4 hours one day, then 2 hours on another and was dead at the end of the sessions lol

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Dressage tires me out. (Its a style of horse riding that requires your horse being in perfect balance and yourself being in perfect balance with the horse). Imagine lifting a 1200 lb animal up for over an hour and using every muscle in your body to do it.

14. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I would say a Marathon. It's something that requires massive endurance over a long period of time. That's grueling.

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Something like the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon would be devastating:
    2.4m swim
    112 mile bike ride
    and then an entire 26.2 mile marathon.

16. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Surprisingly, no one has mentioned amatuer wrestling. I have wrestled for more than five years, and I have yet to do something that is more tiring than wrestling an entire six minute match. The constant motion and the strength you need to apply, as well as the technique...it's hard stuff.

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Sports I've played: fencing
    Sports I've not played: dance or gymnastics

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Agreed. Marathon is IMHO the most challenging sport (or discipline, to be more precise) when it comes to endurance.

But I also agree with Drew_Atreides on football (soccer for you Americans :p), that requires a lot of endurance as well, since you're on field for 45 minutes in each half and you're almost constantly running.

But when it comes to short-time exhaustion, I would say downhill skiing and 400-metres sprint. While an average downhill ride takes only about 2 minutes, you're almost constantly in the downhill stance (the "egg" as we call it), which is very tiring on leg muscles, trust me, especially when your velocity is around 100 km/h or more. And 400-metres - it's the longest sprint in the light athletics and I can only imagine the pain there is after the runners reach the finish line (my Dad used to do light athletics when he was young and he told me that he almost fainted a few times after having run a 400-metres sprint. You give out everything).

19. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Oh, I also forgot, when you try wrestling after a week of starving yourself...that really takes a toll on your body.

20. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Water polo. Full on swimming with people trying to drown you, no touching the bottom, most of the time with hands out the water.

21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Great suggestions so far! :D

You can get really tired after dressage (when you got a good lesson), but when you ride on your own it's not that exhausting - at least for me. But I'm a person that enjoys to take it a bit easy when I don't have lessons. ;)

I never tried wrestling (don't like it), but I can imagine that it could be exhausting. Same about water polo, beside of the fact that I like it. ;)

For me diving training in the swimming pool is the most exhausting sport. We train our enduringness (word?) in the pool and although I feel like I can do another hour of training while I'm in the water, I get so tired when I'm on my way home it is just unbelieveable. And this happens, although I haven't trained as hard as I could. I don't know what would happen if I would do so. :p

22. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002

I completely forgot about Wrestling. In freshmen year of high school, the required gym class had a Wrestling unit to it. It can definitly be a gruelling sport.

I remember I faced off against a guy whow as twice my size. I went RIGHT at him, picked him up and tossed him out of the circle immediately. Surprised the heck out of EVERYONE in the gym. Unfortunately, i didn't count on how much energy that one toss was gonna take. I was completely useless for the rest of the match.

23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I agree with Mar on that downhill skiing can be really exhausting, even if you are just doing it for fun out of competition and training.

24. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Yeah, using brute strength in wrestling is not always the best thing. It takes a lot out of you. That's why a smart wrestler usually wins.

25. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Water polo. Followined by gymnastics.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.