main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Hamp Movie Night at Cephas'

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Cephas, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cephas

Cephas Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2003
    I would like to have a movie night at my place and everyone here is invited.

I'd like it to be kid-free only because I don't have any place where they can do their own thing while we do ours and also so we can be ourselves while watching anything we want (ie: language, etc.) If anyone wants to crash, they may, just bring sleeping bags.

I was thinking we could do it either Saturday the 12th or the 20th beginning around 6pm (when I get home from work.)

As for what movies, I'm thinking of a few cult films and some some you probably haven't heard of so we can enjoy an eclectic film experience together!

The list I came up with is this (Pick 3 to 4 films to watch):
    ACROSS THE UNIVERSE: a musical by Julie Taymor featuring the music of the Beatles set during the oncoming of Vietnam.

SIX-STRING SAMURAI: Post apocalyptic USA where the Russians won. Our country a wasteland, the last King of Rock has died and a new king is needed! Buddy takes his six-string guitar and samurai sword as he treks across the deserts avoiding cannibals, 200 Russians, the Spinach Monster and Death as he heads his way to Lost Vegas to become King!

VELVET GOLDMINE: What happens when Fan Fiction is turned to a musical film that asks "What if David Bowie and Iggy Pop fell in love?" featuring Ewan McGregor in the "Iggy Pop" type role.

HEDWIG: another musical that took the famous indie-cult stage hit from New York! Love Rocky Horror? You'll love this!

REDUCED SHAKESPEARE COMPANY: Everything Shakespeare ever wrote condensed into 90 minutes! (a comedy obviously)

MIRRORMASK: Neil Gaiman wrote this film that falls in line easily with faves like Labryinth and Dark Crystal.

BUBBA HO-TEP: What if Elvis didn't die and had to fight a mummy to the death with a black JFK? This Bruce Campbell gem is a classic.

CEMETARY MAN: This zombie film is a cult-classic! Infusing horror and comedy with a David Lynch-type edge.

CECIL B. DEMENTED: John Waters' cult hit about guerilla film-making starring Stephen Dorff and Melanie Griffith.

DARK CITY: Keifer Sutherland's cult film where everything you know changes once you go to sleep.

CLUE: About as cult as you get. Probably the only film ever to successfully adapt a boardgame. WHy hasn;'t someone adapted Chutes and Ladders yet?

DREAM A LITTLE DREAM: The best Coreys film since Lost Boys that dares to dream about the metaphysical realms. Take a kid who cares about noone and an old man who wants to enrich his life and give them the ol' Freaky Friday treatment!

SHOOT EM UP: As the title suggests, this film does nothing except choreograph non-stop gunfights in a bizarre-yet-brilliant manner that leaves you begging at every turn.

GRANDMA'S BOY: A comedy about stoners and video games. How can you lose?

MAN OF THE CENTURY: Johnny Twenty lives in our era but his mentality is about 80 years too old. When he gets too close to the mob he has to avoid their clutches while hoping to get his new opera LP before it's too late!

MAN WITH THE SCREAMING BRAIN: Bruce Campbell's first directing gig where his brain is split with a murderer.

THE NIGHTBREED: A highly underrated horror where the monsters are the good guys!

THEY LIVE: Rowdy Roddy Piper fights alien zombie hordes while kicking a$$ and chewing bubblegum and he's all out of bubblegum!

SHAOLIN SOCCER: Martial Arts and soccer matches in this Chinese comedy from the same people that made Kung Fu Hustle.

FREE ENTERPRISE: Shatner stars in this film about geeks who want to make their own film and talk Shatner into starring in it and then regret it when he wants to make a musical about Caesar starring in all the roles himself - and its a rap.

L.A. STORY: Steve Martin's best film about life in LA and search for real love in a fake city. He gets help from the traffic signs and needs to decipher a riddle before it is too late!

Of course....if these don't strike you, I also have over 400 others to choose from including more mainstream films like Matrix, Die Hard, Secondhand Lions, Harry Potter, I

2. PRINCESSVADER73

PRINCESSVADER73 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2008
    What a list!! Definitely count me in! I'll make sure to pack the nail polish and everything we might need to give eachother facials;) . I'll check my work schedule to see what Sat I have off.

3. flightmech73

flightmech73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 5, 2007
    Ive seen six string Samaria, free enterprise, they live, dark city, dream a little dream and la stories. what great films. id love to see the velvet goldmine, shoot em up and a couple others on there. Mommy will even let me go bye my self and watch the kids.

4. jediscar

jediscar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2007
    I can possibly make the 20th, but I won't know until after I get back from out west on the 16th....No problem if you decide to host it on the 12th...

5. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    I will be at the Highland Games on the 20th, so that's a no go for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.