main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'Archive: Dayton, OH' started by Sean_Starrider, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I thought I would start this thread again since our old one has been locked up, Probably from gathering dust. I saw White Noise on Friday night and thought it was pretty good. Some good scenes that make you jump and the fact that EVP is believed by many to be real makes it even scarier. I did some research on it when I got home and there are over 30,000 members of a organization of people who regularly practice it. Michael Keaten was pretty good, Where has he been the last ten years? It was a pretty good flick, definetely worth the $2 theatre. 6 out of 10. :)

2. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    I can't say I've ever heard of it... o_O And what is this "EVP"?

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Basically, it's the theory that if you record the sound of an empty room...then play it back in a certian way(details???) that you can hear the those who have died.

On another note...

Say what you want about the "east coast/west coast" feelings people have about the Batman movies, I like the way Joel Schumacher visually tells a story. And Phantom of the Opera is one of those time where a director gets to do what he does best. And considering he collaberated with Webber on this project, you're really getting the best of both worlds.

Now, considering my musical talent begins and ends with starting the CD player, I can't really judge anyone's performance. I will say that I think the main characters balanced their singing ability with their "look" for the part (which does matter in movies). In the case of the Phantom, I noticed a range: handsome/enchanting, someone the audience can sympathize with, and sometimes downright evil (the Masquerade and scene where he hunted down the theater propman). Being so close to the action, it was almost more important to act the scene then sing it.

The opening scene where the chandelier gets raised, and the theater goes "back" in time was something you just couldn't pull off on stage. Short of getting front row seats, the way you get to look into all the characters eyes...you really feel "in the middle" of the story.

Also...
    In the "Masquerade" scene, there is a pan up the stairs. When it reaches the top of the stairs, opera patrons dressed in cat masks strike the pose that the cats on the show "Cats" pose in any promotional material. "Cats" is also an Andrew Lloyd Webber show.
    And I swear I say a guy wearing a black cape and pointed ears mask. Short of a random nipple placed on the costume, I'm sure it was a nod to his work on "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin"

I liked all the extended and new scenes, especially how they explain why the auction (which we see at the start of both versions) is so important.

Speaking for myself, I loved the musical (everyone take your "things to do before I die" list and add See "Phantom of the Opera" ) but I have to say the movie version is as much a visual work of art as the show is to music.

4. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    I am not much of a fan of musicals, But that was an excellent review Krash! You should write for entertainment weekly. :)

As far as EVP goes, It stands for Electronic Voice Phenomena. The way it works is that you record static on either AM radio or on a television and then play it back and spirits will talk to you. Usually the spirits are of some connection to you..Mother, Sister, Wife, ect. But you also get strangers or spirits that just want to mess with you. Apparently we will have to deal with A-Holes in the next stage of life as well lol. I don't know how well if at all this works, I've never tried it and really have no desire to. But if in the future I ever try it i'll be sure to post my review of it here on the boards lol. :)

5. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    But that was an excellent review Krash! You should write for entertainment weekly.
    Thanks, 7 years in journalism should count for something. And EW wouldn't take me...I like SW ;)

6. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Good point! lol

7. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    Tonight Gwen and I went to see Elektra. It takes place a few years after DareDevil. It's just her story over in Japan after her ressurection by the Hand. It was an ok movie until about halfway through and then it got real good...Jennifer Garner who is on my top 5 hottest babes list makes out with another hot chick...Then the movie went back to being ok. It's not a bad movie, But it's not half as good as DareDevil. I give it a 6 out of 10, It's just a typical spinoff. :)

8. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    LoL - Sean! Shame on you. . .

We bought "The Village" a few days ago and watched it tonight. All I can say is that it's one very odd movie. It's placed in a village (gee...) in the 1800's where the people are pretty much trapped there with no ability to communicate with the rest of the world because of monsters in the woods. I wouldn't call this a horror movie, though, it's more of a suspense drama. It's worth a watch if you like M. Night Shyamylan. *** 1/2 out of *****

9. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    I loved the Village, The ending was awesome! I never saw that coming, I've never seen the end of any of his movies coming as a matter of fact. Shamalan is one hell of a writer. :)

10. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    For some reason I had the inkling of a feeling that there was more to the community than what was presented.. I thought it odd how many people had relatives murdered in the Towns.. I always love the way he ends movies, though. n_n

11. Sean_Starrider

Jun 30, 2002
    We went and saw Because of Winn Dixie last weekend. I went in expecting another lame family movie but I was pleasantly surprised. Very nice and well written. Also Dave Matthews starred as a drifter that was mildly retarted and was a very talented musician. Gwen and I are big DMB fans so we enjoyed seeing him do his thing. You will leave the theatre feeling good. I give it 8 out of 10 stars. :)

12. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Not reviewing it because of spoilers... But here's my grade... 10/10!! :)

13. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    You're so lucky, Ludo. I wish I could have got my hands on some advance screening tickets. >_<!! How was the trip? And before I forget again, Happy Anniversary, you two.

14. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Thank you Jedi_Junkie!! :)
    The trip was awesome... It really was one of the best time I ever had!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.