main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Movies

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by echosevin, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Geewhillickers, Rusted Halo, Fanboys is a movie. It's not real, is it? And sometimes people, especially in movies, do silly things and act like children. It might still bother me though, but most films I see I don't love unconditionally. I actually sort of enjoy *thinking* about movies, and noting where I like them, and where I don't.

In fact, I was planning to come to the Fanboys/Pegwarmers event and bring out the Jedi costume for it. What would stop me from doing so is not a silly scene in a movie, but if *you guys* start putting down someone else's fandom that you happen to not share. If *you guys* laugh at people for liking something other than SW, or imply that anyone outside your clique is second-class.

Believe me, if I'm with primarily Trek fans, or whatever, and there's insults about SW fans, I stand up and represent too. It's fine to like one universe better than another, but it's not fine to dislike their fans. There's a difference.

Geez, most of us are nerds, geeks, weirdoes - people who have struggled with acceptance all our lives. SF/fantasy/comic fandom is a place that we can be welcome, find people who share not just our fandoms, but a similar outlook and experience. How silly is it to seek out division within it by ridiculing other fans, instead of supporting our geek brothers and sisters?

So - anyone manage to brave the line-ups last night and see Star Trek? Like I say, it was good. Looking forward to the Pegwarmers/Fanboys double feature! It's a good summer to be a fan.

2. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I don't think nobodyfresh or rustedhalo were bashing Trek, Magpie. Nobodyfresh was joking - and yes, I appreciated his teasing, because we're friends and I understood the joke - and rustedhalo was just expressing her opinion, as you did. Unfortunately, because you haven't been out to many meetings or events with the FF of late, you haven't had the opportunity to meet many of our newer members and get to know them :). So I can understand how you might misinterpret what they wrote - their comments weren't meant to be malicious (at least I don't read them that way). It should be okay to joke about the franchises - I remember laughing at the Triumph the dog skits during TPM's release. It was quite funny, and I didn't take it personally.

There's no need to get up in arms over which franchise or fandom is better - we all have our own opinions. We all like different things and loving one doesn't mean you can't love others (I love HP, TransFormers, and historical period pieces, but SW will always be my first choice). When new movies from big franchises come out (especially when it's Trek or SW), there's always comparisons. Usually it's the media and/or the stars trying to drum interest and ramp up emotions (nothing sells papers and movie tickets like drama). Believe me, Simon Pegg's comments were really getting under my skin, but then I realized, he wants to come back in the sequel and it's not like he'll get a shot at Star Wars any time soon (that's a joke, btw):p

As much as I like posting my opinions on movies here, I held back posting about
    Trek because I wanted folks to get a chance to see it first and form their own opinions about it. I'm not a Trekkie/Trekker but I enjoy Trek - I enjoyed the Next Generation series than any other Trek series.

I stood in line the first night for Trek - because this movie looked promising. Did I like it? Yes - it was very good. But I don't love it - and I don't think it's amazing. The casting is spot on - I loved Urban's McCoy! ILM did a tremendous job with the special effects - the Enterprise looked amazing, inside and out and the humour was really good. However, the plot wasn't original. Too many scenes felt contrived, some of the science didn't make sense, and I don't believe Spock would've acted the way he did (particularly younger Spock and his 'relationship' with Uhura and older Spock with his decision to corrupt the future). Where did the monster from Cloverfield fit in?? Trek always seems fall back on time travel - it's repetative. I'm surprised that Trek fans don't mind that the alternate timeline practically erases the past 40 years of Trek history - negates it. Makes it look like a weirdly wonderful dream - that never really happened. I find that a bit sad...

But as I stated earlier, it is a very enjoyable movie. It's made for a new generation of fans and for wider audiences to enjoy. And yes - it's rewarding to see lots of geeks head out to the theatres and nerd out together. Long live fandom - in all of it's forms!

3. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    Fair enough, despite being on this forum for 10 years myself, I haven't had the pleasure of getting to know nobodyfresh or Rusted Halo well. I guess the most recent event we might have met up at was the Comic Expo 2 weeks ago but I was there only for a day and I'm not sure if we ran into each other. Perhaps they aren't as disrespectful to Trek fans as their comments might make them seem to be. But I don't apologise for bringing the topic up - this forum is the public face of the FanForce and where new fans are sent to check us out, so I think it's fair to remind people from time to time to be courteous to other fans and fandoms.

Using "Trekker" as an insult (and forgive me, I do realise it was supposed to be a funny insult and didn't happen to offend Ryan, but it was still being used to tease as though being a Trekker was a negative thing) could well scare off a newbie, especially one who wasn't aware of the relationship between people on the boards. It was a private joke and maybe would have been better off in private communication. I'm not a newbie, and it doesn't scare me off, but it bugs me and I feel comfortable enough to point out when I'm bothered.

Yeah - I hear you on some of the Spock choices especially. He's always been my fav Trek character. I'll need to see it again to mull over whether the character changes were justified or not. McCoy was fabulous! I was so surprised by how much I loved him! First Karl Urban plays Eomer in LOTR, and now McCoy - how cool is that? He needs to get a role in SW now (or maybe Harry Potter) and pull off a Geekdom Hat Trick. Anyway, I honestly don't think I've felt that pumped after seeing a movie since Star Wars or LOTR, even Harry Potter didn't make me this excited. Maybe that's because I went in with lowish expectations, but nevertheless. I sort of liked the reboot strategy - managed to keep the characters (mostly) intact but washed away our expectations, and managed to instill a sense of jeopardy and suspense since we really don't know how this story is going to end anymore.

ETA: One of the monsters was from Cloverfield? Hunh - I didn't see that movie so I didn't realise that. Was it the bigger one?

4. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Actually, I'd say he already has, considering his not insignificant role in Chronicles or Riddick!!!!

All of these roles we have mentioned, he has done an AWESOME job! I would LOVE to see him in Star Wars!!

5. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    I stand happily corrected! Hail Karl Urban! :)

6. Rusted_Halo

Rusted_Halo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2008
    Magpie Jen .. my comment on suggesting that you may not want to see Fanboys for the trek - bashing is that from what i got on your post that you may be sensitive to it and thought you may get offend from it and hate the movie in the end which Fanboys is awesome i've watched it 4 times now.... i ..myself am not a star trek fan but my boyfriend is a big fan of star trek and is not a fan of star wars except for the clones.. also my best friend in Ontario is a trekker(and she wears it proudly), has maded sevral trek costume and one is the red movie jacket which sevral of the original cast members have told her that it's 10 times better then the one they had to wear in the movie..

the trek - bashing in Fanboys is very funny and my favs 'cos Seth Rogen plays a trekkie in the movie and yes i have seen first hand trekkies and SW with other sci fi fans in fist fights over which is better and in one i try to hold off a trekkie from jumping in but then let go of him when he made the comment the SW fans and Sci fi fans are a waste of human exsitence.. at that moment i know i wanted to beat the snot out of him myself.. as my best friend puts it there are 2 types of star trek fans: trekkies which are the ones that live, breathe and you must call them by their star trek names.. the type of freaky fans that scare people away from any kind of sci fi plus coventions and then there are trekkers which are people that love that movies and tv shows and might also have a star trek costume but also like other sci fi but don't only talk to people in klingon.. i myself am a fan of some of the star trek actors.. i could sit for hours listening to Nimoy talk( atlantis: the lost empire and ancient mysteries..just awesome).. i loved Shatner's tekwar and love his W.O.W commercial and the Nimoy/Shatner priceline comercials, i have seen the trek movies since my media class back in high school had to watch them. but i'm a sci fi with SW being first and Galactica being second and so forth..

as for the new trek movie i think it's got a few things going for it..1) ILM.. nuff said 2) J.J Abrams 3)the cast- i have had the oppertonity to meet Karl Urban in person and he's a great guy.. if you like to see some of his other work he's been in hercules as cupid, xena as ceasar, Doom, the chronicles of riddick and the bourne supremacy.. Zachary Quinto aka Sylar just awesome..Simon Pegg- Shaun of the dead.. nuff said.. Bruce Greenwood - great canadian actor..Zoe Saldana - pirate of the caribbean and in this months women health mag states she's a huge SW fan.. john cho, eric bana are good can't say i've seen chris pine before and that is all i can remember from the commercials.. in the end i'm not sure that the star trek franchise has been dead long enough for that hunger by the fans to have it come back in some form, like the way SW did with the re-releasing of the original trilogy( i waited 12hrs in line to see a new hope again) and what has fallowed since the re-release of the trilogy.. just by what Yrol has posted on trek it sounds like it maybe too soon for the star trek franchise to come back.. i guess time will time so bring on terminator, G.I joe. transformer 2 oh yes i almost forgot potter.. which doesn't it get released around the same time as transformers 2 or is it G.I. joe?

7. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    Rusted Halo - That's awesome that some of your best friends are Trekkers. You're right, fights between fans can be stupid things. Thank you for your concern about my feelings too, it's appreciated. No worries, apology accepted, and I'm glad you'll be aware in the future how statements like how you highly-loved Trek-bashing scenes might appear to people when they read it on the internet like that.

Yeah - I was going to bring up Karl Urban in Xena to make his Geekdom Hat Trick, but thought that might be too old school, but what the heck, let's give him a Texas Hat Trick! (I had to look that one up!)

8. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    The red skinned monster that chases Kirk into Spock's cave is so very similar to the monster from Cloverfield (JJ's movie from last year - seems like JJ really liked the concept and decided {as a homage to himself perhaps??} to include a version of it in Trek).

I don't think it's too early for Trek to have new movie - in fact, their timing is probably really good for the franchise. From what I've seen this weekend, loads of people love it and really dig the new look and direction.

9. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    Neat - like an easter egg, sort of like the way Peter Jackson always cameos, 1138 shows up in all Lucas' films, and there's hidden Mickey Mouses all over Disney.

10. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    It was a fun time at the movies and I'm glad I enjoyed it with friends. I have some nits to pick with the film, but on the whole it was two hours of escapist fun that had me grinning from ear to ear when I left the theatre. The Alexander Courage theme from the original television series was the cherry on the sundae when the credits rolled. With the release of Wolverine and Star Trek the summer film bonanza is off to an explosive start, and I can't wait to see what else is in store.

~StacyD

11. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Dr. Haggis mentioned to me that ILM had included R2 in Trek as an Easter Egg, so I looked for it upon my next viewing.
    I believed I spotted him on the Enterprise (on the back of the ship, riding it X-wing style) but was unsure as the quick cutting and lense flare make it hard to see clearly. Gizmodo has posted a screen shot of the scene in question - and it does indeed look like R2 is riding/navigating the Enterprise (see TF.N's main page for the article) :D

Yay!

12. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Caught a few films in the last few weeks:

Terminator: Salvation
    Leave your brain at home. That being said, I really enjoyed this latest chapter in the Terminator saga. It's a great action flick, with the CGI being practically flawless. Sure there are some plot holes, but with the timeline being altered three different times, I think we can overlook a few flaws. The surprise cameo near the end was SO AWESOME!!! Keep in mind, John Connor is pretty much a secondary character in this flick - Marcus Wright is the focus, and I really liked where they went with his story. I hope they do well enough to do another - along the same lines, with no time travel. Yet.

UP
    Pixar at it's FINEST. Absolutely LOVED this movie. It's not your typical Pixar film either. A simple storyline becomes more complex as the characters find themselves at difficult emotional crossroads. Within the first 10 mins of this film, I was shedding heartfelt tears. By the end of, I felt like I'd ridden an emotional rollercoaster. From tears of sadness, to tears of joy, laughter, suspense, and surprise........there's a bit of everything in this movie. Only Pixar can get you so emotionally vested in their characters - make them feel so real - in such a small time. The 3-D technology isn't spectacular for the 3-D effects. But what makes it great is the DETAIL you get to see, and the depth it gives the film. From the threads on Russell's Wildness Explorer badges, to the weave of the fabric on Carl's shirt - it's simply stunning.
    I highly recommend you see this film (although there's more for adults to enjoy than kids).

Have yet to see Angels & Demons and Drag Me to Hell - but I've heard positive things about both. This week, it's Land of the Lost and The Hangover!

13. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    I totally agree about UP - incredible emotional complexity. I still feel quite melancholy over it, but it's a good melancholy. I loved the design and feel to it too, nothing too flashy, but very solid and warm. I didn't think they needed to do it in 3D though, I'm sure the 2D version plays just as well.

14. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    The Hangover
    Bloody hilarious!! Of the 3 main characters, Allan - the brother-in-law - is the funniest. He's so completely random. It's rated 18A for a reason - especially when the credits roll ;o)

15. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Finally went and seen Up yesterday. What a great show. One of Pixars bests. The short film before the feature was also great. Up was better than Wall-E. Not that I didn't like Wall-E. Like Yrol said it was an emotional rollercoaster, and only Pixar can do this to you and get away with it. Defiantly recommend seeing it 3d.

16. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Saw The Hurtlocker and G.I.Joe (midnight) on Thursday. I enjoyed both.
    Oh, and there is nothing during or after the credits on G.I.Joe.

17. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    apart from the fact that Ray was snake eyes I really was dissapointed with Joe. I did however see District 9 tonight and I really recomend it

18. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    District 9 was riveting! Graphic, a bit gory, intelligent, compelling and original science fiction.

19. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Saw G.I.Joe last night was ok nothing to crazy awesome about it, liked the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow fights, decent summer action flick.

20. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    I too saw D9 and really enjoyed it as well. a good solid story and gotta say WETA Digital is really giving ILM a run for it's money on this

21. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Agreed - District 9 is simply awesome!! The story borrows ideas from a lot of other films/tv shows (Alien Nation anyone?) however - HOW the story is played out is quite original. I don't even know how to describe the movie to people - it's got a bit of everything. Sci-fi, action, political/social commentary, drama....
    The special effects were truly stunning, and it's so hard to believe that the main actor - Sharlto Copley - has NEVER acted before....??!! The man deserves an Oscar for his performance - seriously.

Definitely recommend it.

The Ugly Truth - meh. Pretty predictable and not that funny. More adult than most comedies - if only for the language used.

G.I. Joe - I agree with Dooks. It was, like many summer blockbusters - shallow in plot, with some good action scenes thrown in. Snakes Eyes was truly wicked to watch. Once again Ray Park is phenonmenal!

22. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999

I think that's the thing about the plot of District 9: it's a classic theme and goes way, way back to 1898 and Wells' "The War of the Worlds". But it takes what have almost become cliches about alien invasion (including having human-alien relationships as a metaphor for race relations. You're right: Alien Nation is a nice example of that :) ) and turns them into something completely original and topical. In some ways, I think the story was as surprising and fresh as it was because it used ideas that we think we've seen before. It doesn't ever let you get too comfortable with things you think you know about the genre. Sort of like the way I think Star Wars: ANH took tonnes of ideas from myth and fantasy and revitalized them for a new generation. There's nothing new out there, but there are new ways to tell the old stories.

My husband is still raving about District 9, so we've had a couple philosophical discussions about it :)

23. nobodyfresh

nobodyfresh Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Watched Extract last night, it was funny nothing special except for Ben Affleck with his new look. I loved Mike Judge's last 2 movies, Office Space and Idiocracy, so this one was a little bit of a let down.

[image=http://www.ramasscreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/ben-affleck-beard-03.jpg]

24. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Saw District 9 and Inglourious Bastards so here are my thoughts:

District 9 - Good show but nothing earth changing in the science fiction landscape. Solid story, solid acting, and solid all around film, loved the mix of documentary style and regular film. I think this film got a lot of love because of the crop of summer movies we had this year, nothing rocked your socks off. But recommend seeing it good all around film.

Inglourious Bastards - Good Tarantino flick which for me has been awhile, I liked the Kill Bill movies but Death Proof not so much. Brad Pitt is one amazing actor and shows he can play any role in any kind of film as he's worth the price of admission. Now there is a ton of dialogue in this one as with any Tarantino movie which is needed to tell the story.

Now most think this is all about killing nazis, which is a heavy storyline but not the whole story. Focuses on a french girl and the history of nazi propaganda films and I'll leave it at that. Worth seeing but be warned this movie is violent in parts so not for the faint of heart.

The Calgary Film Festival starts on the 25th and there are some great horror flicks coming so check the schedule for that and other independent films.

25. TapeTrooper515

TapeTrooper515 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2007
    Hey Yrol, do you know anything about the Toy Story 3D showings that I've seen advertised? The only info I can find is very vague...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.