main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY MY RANT ON ARNIES TOP 10 MUST HAVE FOR ANY SW COLLECTOR

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TKYTROOPER, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKYTROOPER

TKYTROOPER Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2005
    For those of you who listen to S.W.A.N. at reviewstarwars.com you heard Arnie's list of top ten must haves for any SW collector. Here is the list incase you have not seen it.

#1- The movies!
    #2- The soundtracks
    #3- 500th Vader 3 3/4" figure
    #4- A SW poster
    #5- The visual dictionaries
    #6- At least one Master Replicas minisaber
    #7- Ask Yoda
    #8- At least one Master Replicas FX Saber
    #9- Remote control R2
    #10- At least one SW video game

Alright, #1 I'll give him that. #2 sure at least some of the soundtracks. #3 RETARDED why is this on the list? #4 sure, even if its not hanging up #5 Whats up with this? while great for prop making and decent pics, not a must have. #6 TOTALLY DISAGREE #7 I'll give him this one just because its funny #8 WHAT IS HE GETTING KICKBACKS FROM M.R.? #9 He's not even talking about the vintage one, he is talking about the new Jap. 3 3/4" one, ***? #10 I Know lots of collectors that don't give a crap about the video games. Hell they spend all thier money buying COOL SW stuff. Don't get me wrong I like them myself.

What do you guys think. How do you rate? I only got 5/10 guess I'm not that big a collector.

Is it just me or is this list lame?

2. Wil_Sinistar

Wil_Sinistar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2006
    My absolute favorite thing in our collection:

***drumroll***

Boba Fett room alarm.

Bar none, funniest thing ever.3

Anyone chime in on fave collected item?

3. ice1138

ice1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2005
    I agree, it wasn't that great, I mean, saying that EVERY sw collector should have these? That's kind of speaking for a lot of people that you don't know. What if you don't have any of these, but liked the movies?

4. Nardo

Nardo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2006
    K, just so he won't be mad. That was me that posted earlier. Arrgghh.
    I completely agree kytroop. That list isnt fantastic.

You totally have to have a room alarm.

5. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    I agree with you 100% TKY. That list was mostly lame. What about vintage figures, especially one of the in-arm saber ones? What about AT-ATs or Falcons from the figure line? What about the original trilogy novels (if you like to read)? What about some sort of SW clothing? What about a SW calendar up somewhere at all times? Yeah, the list could have been better. Marjorie will set him right or the many rants that he'll be getting I'm sure from other fans.

6. LordINVAR

LordINVAR Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2002
    I'm sure the specifics for such a top 10 *Must Have* List is relative and somewhat of a matter of taste and opinion -

HOWEVER,

I think Arnie's measurement of what is a *Must Have* Star Wars item for a fanboy is seriously wanting based on that lame list ... unless of course this entire list was designed for *Shock Value* to engender a debate.

Being that as it may - I have compiled my own *Top 10 Items Every Star Wars Fan Must Have* list from the perspective of a geek who has been a Star Wars Geek since 1977 and collected from what was then the standard and existing fare for all of us fans to 'collect' - even though back then - collecting is not what it is now since the mid '90s - collecting then was getting all the Burger King glasses or all the trading cards with the crappy brittle pink slab of gum inside.

Heres the Geezer List:

10. Vintage Star Wars trading cards, stickers or the comic books. Totally retro. I didn't know a Star Wars fan without one or both types of collectibles. They were THE collectible thing to do back in the late 70's and early 80's. Even now, having one or a few of these is a nifty piece of nostalgia.

9. Any Star Wars Vehicle. A Kenner TIE or X-Wing or perhaps one of the Die Casts (Montgomery Ward TIE Bomber anyone?), the Action Fleet or Micro Machine toys, or an AMT or Monogram model kit. You HAVE to have a ship or two to fly around the room. My fave is the Kenner AT-AT.

8. A Celebration/Convention Exclusive: a Jorg Sacul figure from Ep.II, a C-III talking Darth Vader, a 2002 Toy Fair Vader, a Theater Edition Luke Skywalker Jedi knight figure etc.

7. Star Wars novels, books or screenplays. I mean, come on - if you are willing to WATCH IT, you have to have a desire to READ MORE adventures from that Galaxy Far, Far, Away. Take your pick - these days we have VOLUMES of adventures to read in any era of the SW universe.

6. A Master Replicas Force FX Lightsaber. Closest thing we will ever get to the real thing. These are too damn cool not to have at least ONE if you can afford it. No more need to make pitiful sound effects where you end up spitting into the air.

5. Star Wars clothing - a T-Shirt, hat, accessory or COSTUME that is worn unabashedly in public.

4. Any Star Wars Poster adorning prime wall real estate.

3. One, some or all of the Soundtrack scores from John Williams

2. One Vintage Kenner Star Wars Action Figure - either loose or carded from the OT.

And the number ONE Star Wars Item every true Fan MUST HAVE:

1. The movies themselves. Either on DVD, SE DVD, VHS, Laserdisc or Super 8 if it's still in an attic somewhere.

I mean, if you consider yourself a true Star Wars FAN - then it goes without saying that OWNING the movies themselves is a no-brainer and given.

I mean, the reason I have a Dolby Digital surround sound system that can register on the richter scale is BECAUSE of those movies!

If it weren't for Star Wars - I doubt I'd care if movies sounded like an old battery operated AM radio.

7. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    You can't have a top ten list in star wars collecting that is universal to all collectors. period. I know many people that think F/X sabers are lame, hell I was one of them, but those people might think the Unleashed battle packs are cool or the choppers, ok... not the choppers. There is too much star wars stuff to pinpoint only 10 things we can all agree on. Some fans read the novels because they like the main story but think the movies suck. Some just collect high end MR stuff and so on. Each fan should make there own top ten list of there favorite collectibles that they own or want to own. My favorite collectible is my 1978 SW calender. I have over a dozen signatures on it and its special to me because it was the first sw item I ever got as a kid, before even my first figure. And because I was too young (according to my parents) to go see anh or empire, that calendar was my only introduction to the sw universe I love so much, it hooked me. Many don't give the calendars a second thought; you can get them at cons for $5-10 bucks, but I think they are great. So my top 10 will look alot different from everyone elses but thats ok. We all love star wars enough to devote some portion of our life to it and that my friends, is universal. pv

By the way, don't knock the remote R2, he is pushing cookies across my desk right now, he is so useful!

8. TK8049

TK8049 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2006
    My top 10 goes something like this:
    10.Anything alien
    9.Anything Droid
    8.Anything E.U.
    7.Anything Rebel
    6.All things EMPIRE(The government not the movie)
    5.Some republic
    4.A little Sepratist
    3.Any vehicle/space station that has shot a laser or been shot with a laser.
    2.Anything to do with a secondary character or character appearing less than 20 minutes on screen that you have an attachment to and will buy everything containing said character.
    1.NATALIE PORTMAN. Without her we got nothing.

9. LordTreyger

LordTreyger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2006
    Boy I didn't see that number 1 coming from TK8049, what a shocker!

I dont think there is any way to compile a list of your top ten SW items, it is like choosing your favorite child (whether illegitimate or legal) you know?

But to say anything is a MUST HAVE besides the movies is just crap.

I could end this with, just hanging with my pals talking about star Wars is the only must have but that would come across as weak and soft,something that S_R_Skywalker would say and that would probably start up that damned valentines thread again.

10. s_r_skywalker

s_r_skywalker Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2006
    You're a turd LordTreyger. I can not help it that I am carbon based- and have emotions that make me human. The valentines were a great deal-they just were.

I have to agree with pv on this one - each collection is subject to the preference of the individual. My favorite things are the truly vintage items such as the original toothbrushes, Dixie cups and other odd ball items that you don?t see that often. We have one of the first Star Wars collectables ever made-and although not a series-it is a one of a kind item from Gary Kurtz?s personal collection. It?s true value is probably only seen through the eyes of this fan-but I love it.

"Are you allowed to love? I thought that was forbidden for a Jedi."

11. ice1138

ice1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2005
    Well, Arnie did say that all of this was just his opinion. Check out the thread on his forums about it.

http://www.reviewgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=805

12. Valhalla

Valhalla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2006
    AAHH. Dixie cups and toothbrushes. A woman after my own heart. It's the oddball items that make the world go round. Like the Ertl Darth Vader bust model that had the little battery operated motor with a brush on the end to make the breathing noises.

BTW .. The only thing I found of interest in Bowling Green were the large titanium Republic Gunships. They were on clearance for $17 a piece. Oh and little Vader masks for $.50

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.