main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NAME the FANFILM AWARDS PROCESS - ROUND TWO

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediTAC, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    First of all, I would like to THANK Azeem and Daft for posting the voting poll/post this week with regard to our attempt to nail down a name for the FanFilm Awards Process of our soon-to-be-released website. As many of you have seen and/or commented on, we did not get the reception and/or shared-enthusiasm we ould have hoped for.

NEVERTHELESS, when you get knocked down .... GET RIGHT BACK UP AND TRY AGAIN.

Therfore, AndyBryan and I have discussed it and we are bringing the matter up again for further suggestion and discussion. However, as you participate in this thread, there are a couple of things I want to explain first:

I. The "awards" portion of the website will be dealing primarily with STAR WARS FanFilms.
    Therefore, the utilization of a Star Wars-esque name is what we originally had planned. However, as I have stated in previous posts, we WILL be considering a small handful of Non-Star Wars FanFilms in a category of their own - initially. As the website and activities within grow and as/if the website grows in it's popularity amongst all of you and the rest of the FanFilmmaking Community, we will most definitely add additional categories ... or perhaps even have a kind of sub-ceremony for Non-SW FanFilms altogether (with it's own name and everything).

Nevertheless, just keep in mind that the majority focus of the awards portion of the website will be
    on Star Wars FanFilms. (Besides, I'm sure you will all agree that after AOTC is released, there will, once again, be a new wave of FanFilms on their way). ;)

II. We are talking about the awards PROCESS, not the names of the awards themselves.
    We are not looking for names of the individual statuette awards. We have that part covered and, in fact, are developing additional ones as we speak.

What we are discussing here is what, we hope, will be the name of the Awards "Process" and/or "Ceremony"
    if you will. For example, although the Academy Award has affectionately come to be known as "The Oscar," and the ceremony itself has been coined, "The Oscars," the ACTUAL NAME of the process and ceremony remains The Academy Awards.

So, to reiterate, what we are looking for here is the equivalent to the title, The Academy Awards.

III. The voting process will be fully explained and easily layed out on the website.
    I know that many of you are wondering about how the voting process will work and what the categories will be. Rest assured that we will have an explanation of each award category and what you should be considering when casting your vote. The voting process itself will be in the standard point and click format.

As for tabulation of the results .... sorry guys, just as with the actual Academy Awards, the results will not be made public until the day/night of the Award Ceremony. Only a coveted few will hold the information (in strictest confidence) until that time.

IV. Will there be actual awards presented to the winners?
    As a matter of fact, we are working out the details of that as we speak. DO NOT expect a full blown gold plated statuette like the actual "Oscar," but we are looking into different ways and methods of cost effectively producing physical awards to send to the winners.

Additionally, we will make available the actual award CGI images to the winners - so that, if they wish,
    they can prudly post the image on their websites and such.

I also have this crazy idea that, if our "awards ceremony" and "statuette images" become popular and accepted enough, that perhaps TFN.Theater might also post the award images into the respective FanFilm sections.
    Of course, this is an entirely separate issue and will be pending future discussion with the powers-that-be. ;)

Well, that's about it in a nutshell. I hope that my explanations anc commentary above has helped to further clarify things wi

2. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I still like the FanFilm Force Awards!

3. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I'm still partial to "The Fan Film Choice Awards".

I think that has a more "homely", appealing ring to it...

If you wanted something with, as you say it, "Star Wars-esque" title, then what about "The Academy of Fan Filmmakers Award"?

"...And I'm spent!" :p

4. AdmiralMowk

AdmiralMowk Jedi Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    I still like "Plo Koon's Happy Fun Time Fan Film Awatds" and "The Imperial Award For Galactic Conquest and Fan Film Excellence."

But that's just my two cents.

Peace Out,

Mark "The Admiral" Rosenthal

5. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    Fan Films Choice Awards? That gives me an idea. How about the Force Pick Awards or the Jedi Choice Awards?

6. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    (bump) :D

7. BloodAngel

BloodAngel Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2001
    I think the Awards are a good Idea!! And I think the name "The Jedi Academy Awards" is best... a little funny!! *g*

8. Jace Taran

May 2, 2000
    Personally, Jedi Academy Awards doesn't sound very original. Way too similar to the real Academy Awards, IMO.

9. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Yeah ... but isn't that kinda the point ???

I was thinking that the celebration would be something people could look forward to every year (or semi-year) -
    just like the REAL Academy Awards. Ya know? :)

Nevertheless, the purpose of his thread is to entertain additional suggestions for NEW names,
    or for people to voice further SUPPORT for the previously listed names.

10. Jace Taran

May 2, 2000
    Well, yeah, but that doesn't mean we have to have a name that makes people think of the real Academy Awards. As long as we pick a name that suits our awards (even if the name has no semblence to the Academy Awards), people will still look forward to it.

Although, I'll definately go with whatever everyone chooses if I can't think of any better ideas myself.

11. pemmaster3

pemmaster3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    not original - but practical:
    Star Wars Fan Film Viewers' Choice Awards

12. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Fan Filmmakers' Choice Awards
    Star Wars Fan Film Awards
    The Jedi Academy Awards

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Sorry, TAC, but this is still wrong wrong wrong

As Azeem himself said "We are not a competition here. There is no "best" film here". I just wish others would remember this.

There have been many threads on these boards called "What's the best film" and the like. As you yourself said in a recent thread "Such questions usually start poitnless debates and sometimes end up offending some of the FanFilmmakers who worked hard on their projects." And yet, here you are proposing a project that flies in the face of what you said!

I also have this crazy idea that, if our "awards ceremony" and "statuette images" become popular and accepted enough, that perhaps TFN.Theater might also post the award images into the respective FanFilm sections.

Well bearing in mind what Azeem says, I don't see this happening (and I really hope it doesn't). Nothing personal, JT, but I really hope this project fails. The way things are is just fine, but to start putting some films in a class above the others is not needed and (again in your own words) will "end up offending some of the FanFilmmakers who worked hard on their projects."

Thanks, but no thanks

EDIT: I apologise about the comment hoping this project fails. It was poorly worded. I would delete it, but then the next few posts would make no sense. Please read my next post for the meaning behind this.

14. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Halibut:
    While I certainly acknowledge your right to your opinion ... I find it difficult to understand your resounding negative criticism and destructive comments toward myself and the hard work myself and my partners have been putting into this project.

First of all .... you haven't even SEEN the website. So how can you assume to know exactly what our website and sections therein are all about. You don't ... plain and simple. What's more, you condemn our project before even giving it a chance. How can you do this so cavalierly? I mean, what if I were to say .... No offense, halibut, but I hope that Doom Raiders fails? Would that be fair? Would that be courteous and respectful? NO ... it wouldn't.

So, by the attitude and tone of your post, I take it that you disagree and condemn the entire Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences Academy Award process as well. Is this true? Interesting .... so I guess for the last 74 years, the entire Motion Picture Industry has been WRONG. Hmmmm ... interesting indeed.

What we are proposeing and putting together, in essense, is no diffeent than what the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences has been doing for 74 years. It is going to be a completely interactive and democratic process - with the intention of HONORING FanFilmmakers for their contributions and achievments .... not to belittle them or discourage them in any way, shape or form.

halibut writes:
    And yet, here you are proposing a project that flies in the face of what you said!

Does it? Again, you have no idea what the website, let alone the awards section, is all about. But since we are on the subject of the awards section . . . . the entire process is, for all intents and purposes, going to mirror that of the process of the actual Academy Awards. It will be a democratic process and a matter of peers honoring their peers for their hard work and effort. It is not a process intended to belittle anoyone's efforts and/or depict anyone's film in a lesser light. On the contrary, the entire idea and prtocess is intened to be a CELEBRATION of the creative art of FanFilmmaking.

halibut writes:
    Nothing personal, JT, but I really hope this project fails.

Exactly how am I not supposed to take that personal? Do you have any idea how many hours of planning, coordinating, communicating and creativity has gone into the planning, coding and creation of this project? Actually, I am pretty sure you do, since you have been actively involved with Backyard Productions for several years now. And with that, I would have expected a little more insight and professional courtesy form you.

Look ... I can understand your cynicism. All I ask is that you at least give myself and my team a chance. Believe me, we only have the best intentions in mind, and our project - which, again, I say involved A LOT MORE than just the "Awards Celebration" section - has always been a labour of passion from our love of Star Wars and FanFilmmaking.

I'm sure to many people's disappointment, I am not going to thrash back at you with insults and childish rhetoric. Instead, I am simply going to look past your negativity and push forward with my team towards creating an exciting, informative, and (hopefully) entertaining website for the rest of the FanFilmmaking Community.

If you don't want to join the ride, well ... that's your choice.

JediTAC

P.S.
    (You might want to think about removing that first quote from under your name though ... it doesn't really apply anymore).

15. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Listen Halibut.

If you have a problem with the awards don't contribute. I know there are many that like this idea, and the site is sooooooo much more than just awards.

MANY people have worked LONG and VERY hard to help people, and you come and put all of our work down... come on man, please.

I have been coding some SERIOUS programs for this, it will allow users unprecedented control over their opinions of movies-- in one place... it won't say who's the best, but it will gauge people's opinions... and I think newbies will find the site EXTREMELY helpful.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I really think that was a very insensitive post as people have REALLY been working for the past few months... saying this project fails is insulting all of the people who have worked so hard to give this FREE SERVICE to the users. YOu will see what I mean when it is done... it is not a cheesy geocities poll... it is a serious page with complex coding that will suprise everyone.

But hoping for failure is just as bad as saying "your film sucked". Don't use it or care about it, but don't wish for failure... we have worked tooooooo hard for that.

Cya
    Mike

I would kill to know what TAC said.

EDIT: The comment about sparking crazy debates: This is intended to CONSTRUCTIVELY assess fanfilms... NEVER will anyone on the board be yelled at for critisizing a movie if they write a 3 page review and sincerely explain what they liked and didn't and why and how... this site will promote the CORRECT way to assess fanfilms... I really can't say much until you see it, but I honestly beleive you have the wrong idea.

I still can't beleive you hoped we fail.

16. Wookie Pnub

Wookie Pnub Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2000
    They worked real hard on the Titanic too, y'know.

Not to mention the Hindenberg.

;)

Maybe he was out of line wishing you ill, but I see his point. This flies in the face of everything that has been stated in the past. For all the 'Wait til you see it' posts, it will still be an opinions poll, right?

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Perhaps I came over a bit strong. I will review your post and answer some of the points before re-summarising

If you have a problem with the awards don't contribute.

Fair point

I know there are many that like this idea, and the site is sooooooo much more than just awards.

Well perhaps you should say exactly what it is rather than a) only talk about awards and b) shroud the full content in mystery. People can only comment about what you say

MANY people have worked LONG and VERY hard to help people, and you come and put all of our work down... come on man, please.

Not my intention. read my comments at the end

I have been coding some SERIOUS programs for this

Kudos. I applaud and admire your efforts

It won't say who's the best, but it will gauge people's opinions

Here I see a contradiction. The oscars dont's say who's best but gauge people's opinions, but the end effect is still the same

... and I think newbies will find the site EXTREMELY helpful.

How? By encouraging them not to download the films that aren't voted? Dress awards up in whatever costume you like, but this would be the end result, whether intended or not

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

It has been tried, many times before. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now

I really think that was a very insensitive post as people have REALLY been working for the past few months

I did state it the post that it was not personal. But you must realise that there will be some people equally opposed to the idea as there are for the idea. It might have been insensitive, but I neither flamed nor insulted anyone. I even reviewed previous threads to offer evidence. It was not a baseless "go" at you. I'm just trying to express my "anti" opinion in a calm non-flaming manner. I reiterate, I have nothing personal against those who are working for it, but I am very opposed to fan film awards

saying this project fails is insulting all of the people who have worked so hard to give this FREE SERVICE to the users.

Yes it is, and I apologise for how I phrased that point. What I meant behind it was that I don't want "newbies" not downloading films purely because they didn't win awards. THIS WILL HAPPEN, whether intended or not

YOu will see what I mean when it is done

Stop keep saying that. Tell us what you're doing, or don't complain if people don't like what you've said you're doing so far. You can see from other threads that I have no problem in admitting I am wrong when I haven't been given all the facts. I am only going on what the creators of these awards have said is happening

it is a serious page with complex coding that will suprise everyone.

Okay okay, enough about the coding. That still doesn't tell us what the "other stuff" apart from awards is

But hoping for failure is just as bad as saying "your film sucked"

Not an entirely accurate analogy, but again I apologise for coming across so strongly. I hope my comments above have now clarified this

Something I should have said before. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT POINT FOR ME. I do not have a problem with people making awards for Fan Films, but I do not like TFN being used as a forum for this. Azeem has said that Fan Films are not a competition and there is no "best" film. That is the main reason I like TFN, and I don't like TFN being used this way

18. Chad_Peter

Chad_Peter Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 9, 2000
    Halibut, as much as I agree with you, I believe however that by awarding those who have done well with their films can effectually "pay" those who have put great effort into filming. Thus, they can atleast have a little something extra to place on their resumes.

I agree, awarding fanfilms will ultimately lead to elitism and competition...but, as of now, I believe it's been headed in that direction for quite a while.

--Chad

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yes, it may have been heading in that direction, but that's not a reason to accept that and promote it

20. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    So halibut .... maybe you should start a campaign against EVERY SINGLE FILM FESTIVAL & CONTEST IN THE WORLD.

While we are at it ... maybe we should do away with the OLYMPICS.
    After all, doesn't that send the wrong message to the people who don't win?

Wait .. why stop there ..... NO MORE WORLD SERIES ... NO MORE SUPER BOWL ... NO MORE WORLD CUP.

Boy, there sure are a lot of wrong and evil messages going on in today's world, huh?

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    So halibut .... maybe you should start a campaign against EVERY SINGLE FILM FESTIVAL & CONTEST IN THE WORLD.

"I do not have a problem with people making awards for Fan Films, but I do not like TFN being used as a forum for this"

Wait .. why stop there ..... NO MORE WORLD SERIES ... NO MORE SUPER BOWL ... NO MORE WORLD CUP. Boy, there sure are a lot of wrong and evil messages going on in today's world, huh?

Now you are being irrational. You are taking my comments as personal. I am not the only person who is anti-awards. One of the reasons I think TFN is far superior to other SW Fan Film sites is it's neutrality. My fear here is that TFN is, or could be seen to be, endorsing fan film awards.

If I posted on the forums of other fan film sites, then I would say I didn't like their fan film awards. I don't post there, but I do post here. Therefore I have a right to express my feelings here.

Several of the people who are involved in this project say there is more to it than awards. I have no problem with that, but to coin a well-used TFN phrase, post proof or retract. So far, the only thing that the creators have mentioned is the award element, and that is all I am commenting on.

It seems to me from your last post that you are taking my feelings personally. Whilst this is most certainly not the case, I suggest you take a breather and then review my response to wixmmm's post which I hope clarifies my position.

I reiterate, saying "I hope the project fails" was a very very poor choice of words. That is not what I meant. I meant that I hope it doesn't turn out the way it most probably will - THIS IS BASED PURELY ON THE INFORMATION WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN

EDIT: Responses to JediTAC's re-entered post

I find it difficult to understand your resounding negative criticism and destructive comments toward myself and the hard work myself and my partners have been putting into this project.

My "negative criticism" is absolutely NOT aimed at you and the hard work. It is aimed at the general idea of Fan Film awards

First of all .... you haven't even SEEN the website. So how can you assume to know exactly what our website and sections therein are all about. You don't ... plain and simple.

No I haven't. I am only going on what you have told us.

What's more, you condemn our project before even giving it a chance. How can you do this so cavalierly?

I condemn the inevitiable product of Fan Film awards, namely the elitism that invariably ensues, and the likely possibilty that some people will not download films because they didn't win anything

I mean, what if I were to say .... No offense, halibut, but I hope that Doom Raiders fails? Would that be fair? Would that be courteous and respectful? NO ... it wouldn't.

No it wouldn't, but that is comparing apples and oranges. But I realise that you posted this in repsonse to a very poorly phrased sentence. An explanation of what I actually meant was given later.

So, by the attitude and tone of your post, I take it that you disagree and condemn the entire Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences Academy Award process as well. Is this true?

Well if you're interested, yes I don't like the oscars but for different reasons which are irrelevant. You cannot compare Hollywood films with Fan Films. They are in the business of making money. We are not. They do it for a living. We do it for fun. Hollywood films basically have access to the same equipment as each other. We don't

Interesting .... so I guess for the last 74 years, the entire Motion Picture Industry has been WRONG. Hmmmm ... interesting indeed.

I'm sure there are many many people who would agree with that, but that's not what this is about

It is going to be a completely interactive and democratic process - with the intention of HONORING FanFilmmakers for their contributions and achievments .... not to belittle them or discourage them in any way, shape or form.

I have no doubt of that, and I know that your intentions are the bes

22. Jace Taran

May 2, 2000
    It would be cool to award hard work on fan films, but I can kind of see how newbies would go straight for the ones with awards, and ignore the ones that don't win. They would want to go for the "best" films and not waste time dowloading the "trash" films. Obviously that's not true, but Newbies would think that only the ones with awards would be of any values. That's just they way newbies can be, unfortunately. The reason newbies usually ask "what's the best film" is they don't want to "waste time" with the rest. Sad, but often true. :( We should probably try to find a way to circumvent this from happening somehow. Anybody have any ideas?

23. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    I think what Halibut is trying to say is that if the rest of the world has Oscars and Emmies and whatnot, more power to them. Why should we alter TFN Fanfilms' purpose and promote competition by having an awards show? What everyone else does is really a moot point. :)

On the other hand, I think an awards show would be awesome.

TAC,
    you and your team have put a lot of effort into this, and I'm quite sure you're well aware of the problem stated above and have done your best to account for it.

So on that note... why don't we give it a shot and then decide from there?

SW Chris
    I'm going to regret putting this on notify...

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Can I suggest we stop editing our posts now. I'm getting really lost on who's said what and where!

25. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I should point out that the film I was involved in won two awards in some Australian Fan Film competition, so if anyone might think I feel like this because of sour grapes or through fear of not winning anything, then that is completely not the case

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.