main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2010: is over. :( Come in and see who won!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emerald54

emerald54 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 4, 2007
    Bad weather cancled work and school for a week, so I managed to get out some serious words. It's not finished, but I'm thinking I should have chopped my plot in two anyways.

I'm ending this Nano at 88,481. Not bad for my first dip into the Nano pond.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    They normally open the Verifier on Nov 25th and then if you verify and win you get access to the badges and certificate. Putting your winning word count in manually next to your id won't trigger that.

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    In my fourth attempt at NaNo and after writing a little over 10,000 words last night, I did it! :D [face_dancing]

50,840 words according to the NaNo counter! The story isn't finished but that is okay since I was worried that I wouldn't have enough material to make it to 50K.

Congrats to those who have made it and we are cheering for those who are getting close! You all can do it! [:D]

Edit: I will update the participants list just as soon as my wrist doesn't feel like it is coming apart bone by bone. :p

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Final day! Don't give up now! Remember that the verifier closes at midnight for the time zone in your NaNo user profile!

5. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    And it's done! [face_dancing]

Congratulations to everyone else who has finished. :D

6. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    =D= Bravo to all who've finished and big prayers to those still working on it

My first participation in this event will and with 52,114 words since I can't access the internet at work and anything I write tonight won't count.

C'est la vie - but not bad for a first timer :D Looking forward to next year already!

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Congrats to all the winners and made it to 60.352 today on the NaNo counter with a lot of editting to do to finish the novel 'Reunion'

And for those still writing. You can[:D][face_dancing]

8. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009

I just wrote 6,178 words in one day. Not much by most standards, but I think that's the most I've ever done in one day.

Congrats to the winners, and to those of you still writing, carry on, wayward daughters/sons! [face_dancing]

9. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Congrats to all the winners! :)

10. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    aaaaand I come in at the end with a grand total of 14,770. :p

Still have plenty to write about, just no energy these days. I'll finish it someday, though, really!!

Congrats everyone, you're all spectacular! [:D] Now go get some sleep.

11. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Calling it a night at 50,063! I am nowhere near done (maybe halfway), but apparently my monday night writing group is going to continue meeting. So I'm going to keep going. Awesomesauce.

In any case, I'm super duper out of it, but just happy I finished. So now I'm going to go home and watch Glee. :p

12. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I won! I won about a week ago and forgot to check in completely. So I finished NaNo at 52,127 and stopped writing. There's more of the story to be told, but I really need a break from it now.

Congrats to everyone who finished, and to everyone who took part and didn't quite make it, too! [:D]

13. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Congratulations to all the winners! (would throw confetti, but wrists still hurt...)

NaNo this year was good practice for me. I finished NaNo and am in the middle of sixty pages of papers to write for school. If only they were as interesting as NaNo.

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Final Counts have been updated!

Congratulations again to everyone! Whether you wrote 50 words or 50,000 you did something amazing!! =D==D=

Time for a few statistics! :)

A reminder from 2009:
    37 people signed up to participate in the fanfic NaNo thread
    of those that signed up, 26 people participated (at least by posting their word count in the thread)
    10 of those people won (36.5% of JC fanficers that participated)
    633,753 words were written in the 30 days of November by JCers

2010 JCer Statistics:

39 people stated their intentions to participate in this thread
    of those, 32 people posted their word count here in the thread.
    19 of us WON, an amazing 59% of JCers who participated!
    During the month of November we collectively wrote 1,237,535 words!

All I can say is WOW!!

End of NaNo Discussion Questions:

Do you plan on finishing/revising your novel or is it something that was just done for fun and will be fondly remembered but never to be seen again?

Did you learn anything about yourself or your writings during the month?

If you won, do you plan on taking advantage of any of the winner goodies?

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Way to go, everyone. My life just got hectic.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I plan on editing mine into something worth publishing. I don't know whether I'll try submitting it to a publisher or just put it straight on to createspace for selling through there though. It would be nice to have it published through a 'proper' publisher, but createspace will definitely see it in print.

Don't learn much about me, though I did learn that NaNoWriMo always comes with drama in some form or another.

I'm tempted by the createspace offer, and if I decide to publish my novel through there then I'll definitely take advantage of that. Scrivener looks to be quite impressive too, maybe I'll download the windows beta and give it a test. Don't know if I'll get it or not though.

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm still working through the traditional query-your-guts-out format while doing revisions to kill time.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    My revisions have mostly consisted of re-reading the finished project, making sure it all makes some form of sense. There are a few missing scenes that I'll likely add later, but it's sufficiently done that I'm posting it. I'm proud.

19. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Way to go, winners! We rule! :)

I finished during the month of November and am currently revising and posting here (link in sig).

I've learned that I actually CAN write in chronological order. :D And that writing everything all at once is a very good thing for me to do, rather than writing chapter by chapter, because it helps me see the whole story.

I downloaded some of the buttons, that's about it.

20. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Do you plan on finishing/revising your novel or is it something that was just done for fun and will be fondly remembered but never to be seen again?

I'm not even halfway done writing my story. So I plan on continuing to write until I have it all down and then I shall begin the editing process. I'd like to eventually submit it for publication.

That I can have all these long term goals of things I'd like to do and all I really need to do is start them to gain enough momentum to continue. Basically, I need to get rid of my "I'll do that someday" mentality with goals. Deadlines are good for me.

I'm going to look into the createspace offer - not sure I'll use it.

21. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    It's finished. I have started the editing process. I can think of a few minor changes.

Not particularly. I've been using the same process for months, now. It works. Why change it?

I haven't actually looked at them.

22. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006

I am finishing it and it's being published here on the boards. I have to add a lot of fanart.

Reunion

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/arandiwip2.jpg] They can be seen on the fanart boards

That it was and is fun to write long stories.

Haven't visited the goodies but will look.

23. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002

I wrote thias because the idea's been stewing for years... and this was just the push I needed to do it. Yes I intend to finish it, and yes I intend to try and get it published - through createspace if nowhere else :)

That writing everything at one is an all consuming process that eliminates practically everything else in my life when I jump into it. My life was practically on hold for this - which probably won't good. But then... I've always been single minded...

I looked and I downloaded the certificate so I can show my folks, but that's about it *grin*

24. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010

Well, I was able to finish it during Nano so that's not an issue. I've finally rough edited and posted the whole thing, yay, and I don't really see the need for major revisions. It's fanfiction, it's not going to need to meet publication requirements, and besides without outside assistance I can't see anything substantial that I want to change. Hopefully people will read it and like it though, since that's the overall point of the whole endeavor.

That committing to a schedule really increases productivity. I promised myself I would write at least a little everyday, and that really made a huge difference, even during the second half when I had already won and wasn't pushing nearly as hard.

Nah, winning is unimportant to me, producing something that people will enjoy matters way more.

25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I guess I could answer the questions myself! :)

I might continue it, I might not, I guess I'll see in a month or two. The plot as it was written isn't very marketable so I don't really see me doing anything with it. I think this was more for me than anything.

I learned that I can write longer stories and that I can write over 10,000 words in one day if I really want to. I learned that writing at Starbucks can be inspiring... some of the things I overheard! 8-}

If I revise and finish I'll probably do the createspace but that remains to be seen. I will be getting Scrivener. I've use the trial version the past two years and promised myself I wouldn't buy it until I won, so now that I have I'm all about it. If you haven't checked it out, I think it's a great program!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.