main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.0%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

40.0%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.0%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

40.0%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.0%
  1. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    GAM OVER PISTON!!!!!

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  3. IntyMobile

IntyMobile Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2009
    Just saw that with Andy out, the Cavaliers' starting lineup has an average age of 22 years old. Holy **** that's young.

of course, that young lineup produced the first back-to-back wins of the season. So, lumps are worth it to build a winner. Maybe we can trade Andy for some pieces, and suck enough to get enough ping-pong balls and get the other Zeller.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The Lakers ended this calendar year on Friday night with a good tidy win over Portland (104-87... Gasol was the only starter for the purple & gold who played in the 4th). Kobe's streak of scoring 30 or more ended (he notched 27 points, and lobbed to ball to Darius Morris for a nice dunk in the 3rd), Howard had an impressive double double (21 & 14), and Nash did Nash things by dishing out 10 assists. The bench was able to keep the game in check, and my favorite play from this game came via a bench player (Jodie Meeks) midway through the 4th:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice... that got me off the couch to clap. :D There was also this at halftime:

[​IMG]

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles.../jamaal-wilkes-no-52-raised-to-lakers-rafters

It was great to see Kareem, Worthy, West & Baylor on hand for this/and for Jamaal to get his due this year with this ceremony, and more importantly, enshrinement to the Hall of Fame. The Lakers will be retiring 1 more jersey later on this season, one for a certain center that was traded to the team in 1996 & helped with another era of Laker glory. That night will be quite emotional in Tunick household (more so than for Wilkes, and for obvious reasons).

2012 was quite a ridiculously drama filled year for the Lakers: An elbow to the head from MWP on James Harden that was disgusting to see, a 1st round playoff series against Denver that shouldn't have gone to 7 games, a playoff defeat against OKC that wasn't too surprising, netting Nash & Howard in the off season, the terrible start that lead to Mike Brown's firing, and paved the way for Mike D'Antoni to get hired.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...s-lakers-looking-bar-set-los-angeles-clippers

That's the way things are at the moment, the Clippers having a season for the ages (so far), while the Lakers are struggling to be a winning basketball team. Regardless of what happens, 2013 certainly won't be boring basketball wise out here in La La Land.

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ant-blames-age-los-angeles-lakers-lack-energy

From that same article, MWP's thought's on Kobe's assessment. :

"That's no excuse, the Knicks are playing great, so that's no excuse," World Peace said. "You can't use it as an excuse for us. Thank you. Thanks for trying."

Though the Lakers age can create problems from time to time, I agree with MWP here... it's no damn excuse, especially since last night's game came 3 days after the Friday night win against Portland. Aside from Jordan Hill (10 points, 8 boards in 19 minutes of play), and in some minutes of the 4th quarter (desperation time), last night's effort was listless & inexcusable. Sure, you can criticize Kobe's shot selection last night (29 attempts) in relation to how poorly Gasol (2-11 FG) & Howard (1-7 FG) shot, but I think it wouldn't have mattered if the 2 big men had got more shots... they simply would have continued to shoot poorly. They play the Clippers (their winning streak ended last night at Denver) on Friday, which will be a Clippers home game. I can only hope the Lakers don't fully embarrass themselves, because I don't like their chances much for that game. Tuner (22 points, 13 boards) and Jrue Holiday (26 points, 10 assists) really impressed for Philly, a team that had more energy & offensive cohesion on the Staples Center court last night.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...takes-next-step-joins-chicago-bulls-road-trip

That's certainly good news.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...-clippers-owner-donald-sterling-found-dead-32

Obviously terrible to hear about... a shame his son fell victim to drug addiction.

Great, great response from the MSG crowd there for Amar'e, but despite Carmelo's 45 points, they still lost the game.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the warriors' bench here just kills me.

[​IMG]

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  8. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    So I've gone to a couple games recently. Last night I was at the Grizz-Celtics game up in Boston. Celtics look increasing bad- they can't get stops. The offense isn't putrid, but its not good enough to overcome their defense. As an aside, I was there with the UConn Alumni Association and some people there were clearly more UConn than Celtics fans, as they cheered whenever Rudy Gay did something.

Saturday night I was at the Cavaliers-Nets game in Brooklyn, which was a real good game. Kyrie rimmed out a game tying three as time expired. I'm also excited to tell my kids I was at the great CJ Miles - Brook Lopez shootout of 2012. One quibble- the Nets crowd was deaaaaad. Sitting, making almost no noise on the final defensive stand. I dunno if it was a bunch of out of towners like me with no horse in the race, hipsters being too cool to cheer, or just a crappy crowd, but it was dissapointing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I've been aching to get back to Staples Center for a game this season, but with my job status at still unemployed, it wouldn't be wise to spend money (regardless of how much I would love to) for a trip there. Any pictures from these two trips, in particular to the game in Boston? Seeing what they've got up in the rafters at the TD Garden must have been a great sight for you.

10. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Ah, no pictures. But yeah seeing all the banners is always cool. First game I've been to since they played the Bobcats almost two years ago. Shaq dropped like 22 and 8 in that game in one of his career's last good performances. :p

edit: and hopefully you'll be able to rejoin the working world soon and treat yourself to a game before the season ends!

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    The last game I attended was last January against Cleveland... it was great to see Irving play in person, even if his career in the NBA had just begun. I was also able to get this message up on the ribbon board (below the Jumbo Tron above the court) for DarthIntegral & xblackout :

[​IMG]

It reads: 'ERIN + INTY= CAVS'.

xblackout likes this.
  12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm bummed because I just realized the Cavs trip to Denver this year is next Friday, and I've got plans. Which double stinks, because I found some cheap tickets. Boo. Guess I'll have to wait till next year to see Kyrie

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I scored two tickets to see the Blazers play the Celtics, Mavs and Grizzlies for only $150 total. Great deal there!

DarthTunick likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This video is unbridled filthiness...

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Grrrr... Stupid double posts.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    For those who care, apparently Kobe Bryant has joined Twitter.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...ers-clippers-rivalry-20130104,0,3318037.story

For the first time ever in their history here in L.A., the Clippers can legitimately win a title, whereas the Lakers will be lucky to get out of the first round of the playoffs* (assuming they make it there). It's truly historic, because this has never really happened before (sure, the Clippers had a better playoff run than the Lakers in 2006, but were they in real contention for the title? No.) out here when things have been this lopsided in favor of the Clippers. Meh.

*as things stand now, of course.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

When you've got Chris Paul being the best player on the floor in this game (30 points, 13 assists), and the Clippers playing a better inside game (where you'd think the Lakers would have an advantage... Clips outscored the Lakers 52-36 in the paint), you're going to end up with the Clippers winning. The Lakers showed signs* in this game (Nash dished out 10 assists, Kobe's 38 points included some niiiiiiice shots in the 4th quarter (and that 1st quarter dunk on Paul), Howard had a good double double (21 & 15), and Hill (13 points) and Meeks (14 points) were effective enough, but moral victories don't mean ****, particularly with the Lakers already racking up their 17th loss of the season (17?! [face_waiting] ). The electricity of the crowd made for great theater, as did watching the game with my brother.

*The Lakers certainly had a LVP for this game, and it was... :

[​IMG]

It's getting increasingly difficult to defend Gasol at this point.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    1 for 6, i'd say he's been pretty easy to defend. :p

seriously though, he just doesn't fit in a d'antoni offense at all.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I agree, and either he isn't making adjustments to get Gasol more shots (the only thing that's happen to that effect of late is Pau's 3-point attempts, and though Pau has made a few, his focus needs to stay in the paint & perimeter) or Gasol is simply in another phase of career, since his had problems now for almost 2 years. An adjustment D'Antoni should try though: bring Pau off the bench, and replace him in the starting lineup with either MWP or Jordan Hill.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...s-lakers-dwight-howard-pau-gasol-indefinitely

The play that got Gasol out of the game:

This season is just getting more & more ridiculous. Signs of good play (Nash dishing out 13 assists, Meeks & Hill again competent off the bench, Howard with tying his career high in rebounds with 26) went for naught in the 7 (112-105) point loss to Denver, and then today's news of seriousness of the Howard & Gasol injuries. Currently 3 games out of the 8th seed, and games this week at Houston, San Antonio & then OKC comes here to La La Land on Friday night. Good grief.
    [face_plain]

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    OKC slapped Philly off the court the other night. Have fun remaining below .500 with us. It's great to be able to say the 76ers are keeping pace with the Lakers, but I don't know if this is precisely how we hoped it would happen...