main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Need Help finding a new series

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by blubeast1237, Sep 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm finishing up Speaker for the Dead, which I enjoyed, but has encouraged me to give up the rest of the Ender's Game series.

In any case, I'm looking for a new series that I will be extremely interested in because I'm not much of a fan for standalones, except if they are by an author that I actually like.

I don't really have a taste but the books I enjoy the most are:

Anything from Alastair Reynolds
    Ender's Game type(Sci-Fi battle fiction)
    I would like to read more about fantasy wars.

Any suggestions?

-b

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.

Contains basically 2 very-related duologies, Hyperion/The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion/Rise of Endymion.

Some of my favorite novels of all time, takes place in the far future, and involves warring, time travel, love and other fun things.

Otherwise, if you're a fan of Alastair Reynolds, I would suggest the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks. Lots of fun stuff in there, although usually the books aren't really focused on war.

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Walter Jon Williams' Dread Empire Fall trilogy isn't bad.

Sean Williams and Shane Dix's Evergence Trilogy is good. As is Sean's solo Astropolis series (although that's less battle and more head-space-ish).

4. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Thanks guys for the help so far, I like what I;m seeing from the books already.

As far as war novels go, I'm willing to read anything that war is profoundly a part of. This isn't just my desire to read something with action and war, but I really like what Ender's Game did as far as detailed battles go. I also tried to read the Warhammer40k books, but they were badly written.

Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions on well-written Fantasy novels.(As opposed to Strictly Sci-fi)

-b

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    SF:

The Cormac and Polity books by Neal Asher
    The Shoal Sequence by Gary Gibson
    Night's Dawn and the Confederation Series - both by Peter F Hamilton
    On Basilisk Station by David Weber

Fantasy:

For war from the soldier's eye view I've enjoyed the Black Company books by Glen Cook, presently up to Bk 4 of those.
    Also David Gemmell's Legend is a classic for very good reason.

For "well-written" (term can cover just about anything) fantasy both Erikson and Donaldson are both writers at the top of their game, read either and you'll have the bonus of having your vocabulary expanded. Robin Hobb's sequence of books that covers 4 series is very well-done and, if it ever concludes, there's Sword of Shadows by JV Jones. There is also the wondrous series that is Discworld.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Have you read "Starship Troopers" by Heinlein? Great read.

I agree with Quick Ben that Martin, Donaldson and Erikson are probably some of the best writers out there.

The Wheel of Time series is epic fantasy and is incredibly fun, but is now 12 books long (although there's only 2 more books to go lol). The first 5-6 books are fantastic, but the next 3-4 are a bit of a slog.

If you like the philosophical bent, F. Scott Bakker's The Prince of Nothing trilogy and whatever the sequel is called are great fantasy reads; there's a lot of (medieval-style) battle and politics in there.

Recent stuff I've enjoyed (can't remember the authors names): Canticle, Acacia and The Warded Man.

7. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Wow, the Black Company looks like something I will definitely look into.

Thanks a lot guys.[face_peace]

-b

8. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Check out The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks, it's like Ender's Game on fantasy lsd. :D

Evil.

9. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    I picked those up this morning at the Used Bookshop, glad to know someone else knows about these. They look and sound interesting, actually planning on starting to read them this week.

Wished I could hand out my own suggestions Blubeast, but sadly all I've read/picked up lately was Wizard's First Rule by Goodkind and Assassin's Creed II: Renaissance by Oliver Bowden. Though if it interests you, I did find the latter an interesting read.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Is that just a novelization of AC2?

11. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Night Angel trilogy is awesome. Weeks' new book The Black Prism is also quite a fun read, if you like your morally grey characters in an altogether more "colourful" world than Night Angel :p

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin is really good, but he's taking forever to come out with the 5th book.

13. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I got The Black Prism the same day I picked up The Way of Kings, so it's waiting patiently on my shelf for me to finish. :)

Evil.

14. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I love the Gaunt's Ghost novels by Dan Abnett. It's a cracking series and there are loads of the books out now so there's lots of them to keep you busy.

Also, check out the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books by the same author too. There'll be another trilogy out in the future too.

The Dune series by Frank Herbert is also fantastic.

15. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Yeah it is, though it does fill in some gaps that the game doesn't. For example the road trip from Florence to Uncle Mario's at the beginning. For the best part of the book it is a novelization and I believe it includes those two DLC sequences in the novelization. I haven't had time to play those so couldn't say if it's really all of it in the book.

16. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    You might like Erikson and Esslemont's Malazan Book of the Fallen Series, also Kearney's The Ten Thousand has some pretty impressive battle scenes.

17. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Yes, yes, YES.

The only war novels I read are strictly ancient historical fiction. So if you like thousands of men in skirts sticking each other with spiked objects, :p then I'd recommend The Last King, The Sword of Attila, and Gods and Legions.

As for fantasy, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman is a really fun read: hilarious, thought-provoking, and not oppressive in scope, like a lot of other fantasy novels.

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You might like Brandon Sanderson. Start with Mistborn: The Final Empire (it's the first in a trilogy).

19. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Nat - :rolleyes: [face_laugh]

I forgot another good one that you'd probably be interested in, blu: David Gemmell's Troy trilogy. It's a nicely done combination of mythology, history, and fantasy with some really strong characters.

20. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    ^^

I second that!

I loved his take on the Trojan War. I like what he did with those classic characters...he did enough to make the series feel fresh..made it his own...

Now I have done it...I sound like an IDOL Judge!:p

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The Bastion Wars books (Emperor's Mercy, Flesh and Iron, and new one out soon) by Henry Zou are excellent. I'm only on the first one but I've not been this excited by an author in a long time. Fantastic Warhammer 40,000 fiction.

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Hey, when in doubt, read Sanderson :p Though I did suggest it because Mistborn fits in nicely with the request [face_batting]

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Naomi Novik's Temeraire novels might be right up your street: a fantasy series set during the Napoleonic Wars, but in an alternate time-line where dragons are weapons of war. Sounds crazy, but they are very good books which are well written and have good characterisation, as well as being of a military bent.

24. DarthPraxus

DarthPraxus Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2010
  25. olivernelson11

olivernelson11 Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2010
    Spamvertiser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.