main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The whole second season is affected by the Writer's strike. The season premiere is a repurposed script form an attempt at a 70's relaunch of TOS that got shelved in favor of the Motion Picture. Add to that Diana Muldur taking Gates McFadden's Crusher's place as a Bones-esque doctor that doesn't mesh quite as well with the rest of the cast, and it's definitely a different season compared to the other seasons.

The Emissary and A Matter of Honor are good (and essential for S3 and beyond viewing in regards to Worf's story) Q Who for obvious reasons and I loved Measure of a Man. Didn't really care so much for Elementary Dear Data. I just thought it was too hokey (but then, I also haven't watched S2 in years either)

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Pulaski never grated on me as much as she seems to have others. Probably because there was never a transition for me as a viewer- watching random reruns with the 2nd/3rd season episodes- there were just always two doctors.

Going by my postings (which were likely slightly later than my actual viewings), it took me 1 year and 1 month to go through all of TNG and the first two seasons of DS9 (since I jumped back and forth between the shows as chronology dictated).

So, as I said- you were slightly faster. ;)

3. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    She doesn't actually grate on me either to be honest. Nor, however do I feel that she meshes well with the cast in S2. But Gene wanted a doctor who he felt would be more advasarial than Crusher was with Picard (and by extention seemingly the rest of the crew), and while he got that, it really did throw the chemistry off with the cast in S2. I will say the one episode that's truly focused on Pulaski (Contagion) is probably the best ep of Muldur in the role.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wish they had actually done transition episodes, though- Crusher pops in and out of existence, for all intents and purposes. Ditto for Geordi's shift in branches. They get throwaway lines, but nothing to make them organic to the show.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I wish they still did the 'Strange New Worlds' fan contest, as I had an idea once upon a time for a 'missing scene' between 1 and 2 to explain Geordie's promotion to Chief Engineer.

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Pulaski was only really adversarial towards Data, though. She got along fine with the rest of the crew IIRC.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    She butted heads with Picard on a few occasions.

8. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    You can se where Pulaski had some personality Modeling after Lenord McCoy, of course she butted heads with Picard from time to time. She was unlikeable but mostly because she was not one of the "no personal conflict in the future" robotic constrcts Gene was obsessed over.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I think the reason why Pulaski doesn't really work in the same way that McCoy does is because McCoy has a much better sparring partner in the form of Spock, who he thankfully never refers to as "It."

:p

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well I hope no episode is as bad as the third episode of Season 1, Code of Honor. Ugh.

11. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Iwont deny the character was bad, but at least it was an attempt to inject some chracter conflict.

12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009

The is an idyllic world populated my blond haired white people, ruled by a hyperimesional space god, who's penalty for all crimes is summery execution by poison dart.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, but they did it in a totally hamfisted way and she came off looking like a crappy McCoy knock off.

14. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    True...true.

Wanst everything in season 1 and 2 of TNG Hamfisted?
    http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/t126.asp

I mean really the worst humanity had to offer?

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    No, that was Justice. Code of Honor had Tasha being abucted by a misygonistic King and forced into a fight to the death.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was also incredibly racist. Thankfully nothing else in TNG is nearly that bad in that respect.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "You will be my first one" Ugh please go away. Bad memories.

18. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    What About Angel One's crappy attempt at Sexism?

19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Justice, Angel One, Masks, The Naked Now, The Outrageous Okona and Samaritan Snare were all terribad.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If you're mentioning terrible late-series eps, you have to go with "Sub Rosa."

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Samaritan Snare has some interesting elements but is weak-but-not-the-worst. There's never any question that the crew can outsmart the Pakleds (though it's an interesting idea of lesser advanced races stealing tech to advance themselves) and Geordi's storyline starts to get interesting about the same time Picard's ceases to be- so, at least, there is symmetry. ;)

Okana was kind of fun (if you ignore Joe Piscipo) but the ending kinda kills any potential the episode built up. Also featured Jordan Collier as Dash Rendar and TV's Lois Lane as the Easily Seduced Transporter Lt. ;)

22. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Up the Long Ladder was pretty bad too. Either one of the stories might have made a decent episode, with the Irish setters...I mean settlers...and the culture clash they presented, and the other culture that kept on cloning themselves to stay alive. But together they combined to make the episode worse.

23. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The Irish daughter in that ep reminds me now of Donna Noble.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Seems the S2 TNG set has had some subpar work done on it, resulting from CBS Digital only working on the odd numbered seasons, with the even numbered seasons being farmed out to other post-production houses.

On the upside, the company that worked on S2 will not be doing S4, so hopefully this will remain a blip. Even so, some S2 shots have been done very well, so it's not a universally lower quality offering.

That was not Voyager's worst episode but I put it in the "Average" category (basically: no one would call it a good episode, and it might be dull, but isn't entirely offensive to watch, at least not enough to compel one to turn the channel if it was background noise).

The worst is that the first 20 minutes of the episode are almost entirely meaningless on purpose. Then it tries to be about "belief over fact" yet ultimately explains away everything anyways. The story can't have it both ways.