main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Never Far From Us - Obi/Qui vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Never Far From Us
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Anakin
    Timeframe: Immediately post TPM
    Genre: Vignette, angst
    Summary: Obi-Wan faces the loss of his Master and learns to accept his very last gift.

Never Far From Us

Our rooms are quiet now. A hush has descended on the Temple; a subdued air of mourning hangs heavily about the vaulted corridors.

We have lost one of our own.

Jedi die, of course. We are not immune to accident or disease or old age. This we all knew. But now the loss has struck at the very heart of our Order and a whisper of fear laces our grief.

I stand up, unable to sit still any longer. Suddenly I yearn for noise and movement, anything to distract me. This unnatural silence leaves my mind too unoccupied and inevitably I replay over and over again my Master?s death.

As incredible and unbelievable as it seems, Qui-Gon Jinn is dead. Slaughtered by a Sith, that ancient enemy thought so long extinct. And now the Darkness has risen from the ashes of our past.

The shadows fell over us with Qui-Gon?s death and I find myself wondering if they will ever lift again. Every foundation upon which I have built my life has been shaken and I sense the tiny cracks that have begun to form.

This, then, is despair.

Qui-Gon would scold me for giving into this bleakness. Be mindful of the Living Force, Padawan. Live in the here and now.

I would be ashamed to tell him that the ?here and now? is much too painful. Here is a place I do not want to be and right now I want to only to scream out in my pain.

But I am a Jedi and so I endure this present, reaching out for the serenity that eludes me.

There is no death, Obi-Wan. The deep tones of my Master drift to me across the veil of that threshold he has stepped over in death. There is only the Force.

Anger wells up within me, shocking me in its intensity.

I am angry at Qui-Gon. In my mind I rage at him for dying and leaving me to this uneasy fate. I flay him with my words and my contempt and in silence he accepts it all.

As quickly as it had descended, it leaves me and I am left weak and empty on the floor of the quarters we once shared. I am drained by my grief and my anger. Unable to decide which is worse, my unreasoning rage or this echoing emptiness, I let the void fill me up and then pass through me, releasing it to the Force.

I feel his unspoken approval and for a brief moment I am warmed in the Light that I have always simply thought of as Qui-Gon. I can almost feel his callused fingers brush my cheek, wiping away the tears I had not even known I shed. I hear his voice whispering in my ear, telling me to be comforted by the knowledge that he is one with the Force he has always served.

The comfort is a hollow one.

But I know that time will shrink the gaping hole within me, though it will never disappear. Only when I have joined Qui-Gon in what lies beyond will my heart know true peace.

I have given you the Chosen One.

I close my eyes and my heart against these words. For they remind me that his last thoughts were for the Order and the little boy who is supposed to save us, to bring balance to the Force.

Train him as only you can, my Obi-Wan. There is a gift in what I have given you.

My heart speeds up as I consider his legacy to me in a new light. Perhaps by giving the Chosen One to my care he is telling me one last time, with his very last words, that he has faith in me. He knows that I will die rather than fail him. And by training young Skywalker I will be giving Qui-Gon the last gift I can give him.

I will live up to the confidence he had placed in me.

Yes, Padawan, you see the truth of the gift now.

In spite of the sorrow that threatens to eat away my soul, I smile. For this convoluted lesson is so typical of my Master. Never did he take the easy way, the obvious path. No, for Qui-Gon Jinn the road was twisted and marked by wondrous detours.

My Master has always taught me in mysterious and extraordinar

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    :_| Kimberely you've done it again! Another superb vignette!

How do you keep churning them out so effortlessly! These are so wonderful...

Excellent job!

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great work! I love how Obi saw the 'gift' finally ;) a Legacy to continue on :D

Well done! Poor guy gotta feel for him. He was right in feeling angry and confused there, but now he realizes :D

4. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Beautiful, in a quiet, graceful way. =D=

5. mithrissa

mithrissa Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    What a beautiful vignette. I wish Obi-Wan had recieved this sort of healing in RotS...

For this convoluted lesson is so typical of my Master
    Bloody Qui-Gon *fondly*

thanks again!

6. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    You captured their relationship so perfectly in this one. I think Obi-Wan's anger against Qui-GOn is perfectly natural, and many loved ones feel exactly that way when someone dies.

=D=

Wonderful!

7. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    That was lovely! :) And simply perfect...you're so good at viggies!

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ooohhhhh, that is so beautilful... I love now knowing those words Obi-Wan heard could very well be Qui-Gon from beyond. When your times comes, Padawan, I will be waiting for you.
    Probably not surprised that one brought about tears.

9. argentlife

argentlife Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    It was simply beautiful. The end phrase was stunning and forced me to swallop the lump in my throat.

10. Jedi_Linewalker

Jedi_Linewalker Jedi Master star 2

May 1, 2005
    Exceptional piece of work. I loved it. The characterizations, as usual, were right on, and the emotions played well through the piece.

11. Kylie_Jinn

Kylie_Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Reaching out to him with the Force for the first time, I link my mind to his. Our bond is fragile, newly born, but it begins.

I keep my vigil at the side of the Chosen One, my Master?s presence never far from us.

Wow, that's just really...sweet. I can't think of another word for it; it's like watching a new butterfly unfurl its wings, waiting patiently for the sun to dry them into something we all come to love...and unfortunately miss. Great job, I love the emotions in the piece.

12. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    That was so very moving. Obi-Wan giving into anger was very, very natural - he wouldn't be human if he didn't need to lash out at recent events. And then he's a Jedi, when he realizes what he has to do.

Great work!!

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Layren Who needs to sleep? :D

Kynstar Obi reacts very normally in his anger I think. But being Obi-Wan he calms down quickly. :)

LuvEwan Now that is quite a compliment, especially coming from you. I love your work!

mithrissa Qui-Gon reminds me in some ways of my grandfather, though not physically. They are both pranksters, and yet have a generous spirit that is covered up by a sometimes gruff exterior.

AnakinsHeirExactly! And thank you for reading.

Jemmiah Thank you! And might I return the compliment?

Healer_Leona Surprised, no. Flattered, yes. Thank you for reading.

argentlife Thank you! [face_blush]

Jedi_Linewalker I'm flattered and I have become an admirer of your work as well, so get writing! :D

Kylie_Jinn The beginning of Obi-Wan's and Anakin's relationship had to be a shaky time. I hope this reflected his confusion and ambivalence. Thank you for reading.

Princess_Arulmozhi Exactly! That is precisely what I wanted to convey.

14. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    I agree with Princess_Arulmozhi, You showcase Obi-wan wonderfully.

It was beautiful.

... I am such a sucker for anything with Obi and Qui... ~sigh~

Seven

15. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Such a beautiful look into Obi-Wan's process in dealing with his grief. :)

16. DarthPolymerase

DarthPolymerase Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Oh wow--this story is heartbreaking and lyrically beautiful at the same time. I love how you characterize the relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon as something so pure that it trancends death--it really shows the strength of the bond between the two. Amazing work, as always!

17. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    This was beautiful, K. My heart broke for Obi-Wan as he went through all those emotions - anger, despair, fear, etc.

Another masterpiece! :)

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Seven I share your weakness! :p

Master_Noi Thank you! :D

DarthPolymerase I'm flattered! [face_blush]

Gina Thank you! Now, go get writing on something so I can read it!

19. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Absolutely wonderful!

When your times comes, Padawan, I will be waiting for you.

That line just gives me warm fuzzies. [face_love]

20. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Vader that was simply superb.

Your characterization of Obi-Wan was exactly what I imagined it would be after Qui-Gon's death in TPM. Wow. I'm speechless...

Bravo :)

21. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    :_| Poor Obi-Wan! He needs a hug, and a kiss... =P~

Like how I can twist anything to something warped and well, twisted!? :D

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    mouse2 Thank you! [face_blush] I was in that sorta mood!

sheleigh Thanks! Trying to figure out what he might have been thinking was a challenge, interesting, but a challenge.

VadersMistress Hey, I know you by now! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.