main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New AC members

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jay, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Uhhh, cant agree there.

1) The JC isnt a democracy, never has been. The AC is no different. So get that thought out of your head. AC members represent JCers not by being elected, but by being regularmembers having the best interests of all regular members at heart.
    2) New members are not indirectly chosen by the mods. The mods chose us, and we used our best judgement to choose the next batch. The mods hve NO say. Hell, we could choose a serial troll if we wanted to, but we dont. The mods have nothing to do with any AC appointments, other than to give us background into OUR nominees.
    3) It wont be a self perpetuating clique. It was basically decided that ACers wont be able to be re-appointed until all other worthwhile candidates have been used. It would take a VERY long time for any of us to get back in. We are talking YEARS.

2. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    Up, so people know who the ACers are. We should all have something in our sigs, too, saying that we're on the AC.

3. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Its probably alittle late, but congradulations to everyone :D

Cheers,
    Shinjo!

4. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    "Advisory Council Member" should appear below your names and above your registration date, just like mine is as a CR, because when I need to find you, it's so much easier to visually scan the member name block, unless a special avatar is to be given to each AC member. :D

5. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    Yeah, since so many people have titles now, not just admins, I don't think it would set us apart from members to give us titles, though I don't really care if I have one.

6. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    You know, a special avatar might be the best idea, since most of us see the avatar on a post first.

7. jedi-girl

jedi-girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    mac-nut - I agree, I think that would be really helpful way to identify AC members.

8. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I definitely support the title feature for AC members. As long as it isn't a custom title that they choose (which would definitely make them be seen as more than regular users) and a simple "Advisory Council Member" title is used, people will be able to easily identify them. I think people are reasonable enough not to have a fit because of that sort of thing. But then again, this is TFN... ;)

Honestly, how many forum members actually a) Read communications and know about how the AC works or b) Reads through the signatures of thousands of members to weed out an AC member? Not many at all. I think a title feature is necessary.

9. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Not enough, Dan. Not nearly enough.

10. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "Honestly, how many forum members actually a) Read communications and know about how the AC works or b) Reads through the signatures of thousands of members to weed out an AC member?"

And to add a third part to that question, how many forum members even know there is an AC?

Amazing.

11. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Clearly, a new flashy gif is going to be necessary for this campaign. :D

12. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    I agree with Dan on this issue.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

13. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    A title feature would make it much easier for regular posters to find them.

That is if they know what the AC is......

14. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I don't know if this is the time, or place, but I for one would like to see Aybabtu kep on as a permanent member, and would love to see Dan serve on the next board..

15. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, there was a proposal a while back that some rotating members stay on as permanent members, but we knocked it back poste haste.

Being a perm member shouldnt be a reward for being a good ACer...seeing the boards run as well as they can help to make it...thats the reward.

Besides, that only serves to say that ACer X is more worthwhile than ACer Y...and that would mostly be subjective anyway.

So far as Dan goes...well, thats up to the ACers...regular members dont really have a say there.

16. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    regular members dont really have a say there.

and therein, Dagsy, lies the heart of the problem....

17. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    Its a good point, Empress, but still...its basically a situation of having ACers choose, or having all other members choose.

On the one hand, if the ACers choose, then the other regular members dont have a say, but at least we know the ACers will be keeping an eye out for the most responsible members.

On the other hand, if regular members are the ones to choose, its a popularity contest for the most part. Not all regular members will be like that, but a big enough chunk will.

18. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    ah, but to combine the two.. therein lies the brilliance....

Create a thread, say, here in Comm.. people can then nominate who they wish to see, and then, out of a pool of, say, 20, or so, the AC choose the new members...

19. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    If people want to help pick new AC members, then I don't see anything wrong with making suggestions. If we ACers think the suggestions are good, we can bring them up during the selection process for the next round of members.

20. jedi-girl

jedi-girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    I think it would be better for the AC to have the freedom to choose the members they believe would do the best job on the AC, rather than having a vote. dagsy I just don't know how it isn't a 'popularity contest' either way, because existing members would gravitate toward choosing other members who they like and agree with, don't you think? maybe you can enlighten me otherwise.

And I am glad there isn't a permanent membership. Just a couple of things I would like to see. First, more visibility of who is actually an AC member (with special colors and title under username). Second, more accountability to the JC at large. How to create this, I don't know. But I am giving it some thought. :)

21. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i also don't have a problem with the regulars suggesting potential AC members, given that it will soon be that time again.......a suggestion can't hurt, and as said, there is no voting element as yet, so its not a popularity contest or anything

also, i agree with mac nut, the title feature could be expanded to include AC members.....

22. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Giving AC members titles is currently being discussed, so we shall see what happens. Stay tuned, kids -- same Bat time, same Bat channel.

23. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    furthermore, I propose that Griff be appointed Admin-AC liaison, so the next time this type of situation occurs, we can all blame him.....

or better yet.. let's force him and Aybabtu to become roomates, thus assuring an always open line of communication...not to mention an endless source of hilarity and drama.... [face_mischief]

24. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

We'd be the original odd couple!

25. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i second that, so its agreed, the mock maariage ceremony shall take place 12.00 NZT, all members must be present to wish the new couple their best, or they shall be IP banned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.