main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Star Wars Costumes?

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Ok, I am starting this thread to see if anybody on this board is working on a new Star Wars-related costume (or non-Star-Wars-related, I suppose...). Description? Photos? Advice to people undertaking something similar? I'm curious! I've started working (tentatively) on sculpts for armor to do a Revan costume (Knights of the Old Republic) and as I get going on it, it reawakens my curiosity about what other people are up to.

Anyone? :)

- Kai

2. GreyJediPathfinder

GreyJediPathfinder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2005
    Kai,

As a matter of fact, I am working on a brand-new Star Wars costume. Very few people know about it, going to surprise everyone here in Denver in April at StarFest.

I don't have have any pics of it yet, still in working stage.

Since you probably are wondering why I'm being so secretive, I'd love to take the first prize at the Con Costume Contest (almost won last year, as a Nazgul).

I'm planning on appearing as Shaak Ti. Working on the headpiece at the moment. As soon as I have pics I will let you see them!

3. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Oooh, Shaak Ti? I can't wait to see what your costume looks like! Very cool! Hey, I'd love to see a photo of your Nazgul costume...any on the web?

- Kai

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Well, minus my Rebel Fleet Trooper costume that's slowly coming together, I have 1 costume in the works and 3 more in mind. I'm attempted to do an Episode 3 Beru Lars, which, as of right now, all we have is the fabric for the shirt. I want to dump some weight before I try that.

Then, once said weight is gone, I'm going to make an Éowyn Shieldmaiden costume, since there's not enough blonde heroines. :D

Then I get to my tough decision. There's two other costumes I want to do, both of which would be a TON of fabric, a TON of work, and a LOT of money.

Exhibit A: [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/purple/purple_front.jpg]

Exhibit B: [image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/legomania5/P9190096.jpg]

Padme's Return to Naboo dress would be easier because Sister Sola already has an incredible tutorial on how to make it. Katie Lucas's costume would be... a challenge.

5. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Wow, Miana...just...wow. See, I don't sew, really, at all. So I am very intimidated by those ideas! Sadly, the first pic/link you posted goes to a File Not Found. Which costume is it?

- Kai

6. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Yeah,,, might have some surprises coming up.. but, if so, I ain't telling! LOL[face_laugh]

7. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Aw bugger. Maggie must have a non-linking thing.

It's this dress:

[image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/legomania5/purple_front.jpg]

And Kai, neither do I, but my mom is like Uber-awesome at sewing. She hand-drew and made my Jedi Cloak just from watching the opening of Ep. 1. :D

8. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    That is GORGEOUS. Soooo intimidated by the Amidala gowns. Fortunately for me, too old and not nearly as classy looking as Natalie Portman, so no point in trying. And my current costume'll have a MASK! Even better. ;)

9. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Hey Miana, if you really want to get adventurous, Jos still has her patterns for the "Padawan Frustration Outfit - AoC" and the "Padme' Preggers Blue Nightgown w/pearls - RoS) that she made. [face_whistling]

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    If I made the preggers pearl dress, I'd carry a sign that says "Who the *$#@ sleeps in pearls?" :p

11. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    ROFL!

Ya know, I'd thought about that, talk about uncomfortable. Maybe it's the Princess and the Pea thing ::shrugs::

The white gown she wore in EPII seemed a lot better.

Not to get off on a rant here...

And if you start thinking practical about her outfits, you're going to run into trouble from Episode I on, I mean, what the heck was the Red Light Walking Lampshade Queen outfit? Notice she sat in low chairs? Because if she didn't, when she sat down the dress would pull up in front, how dignified would that be? And for a overnight stopover, how many outfits DOES a Senator need on Tatooine? Five? Six? Seven?

I know, it's what the script called for, and they were pretty outfits, but practical?

Not in this galaxy.

Let's not even talk about what it takes to take a stormtrooper to the can.

It's just my opinion, I could be wrong

/dennismiller off

12. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    When Jos was making the Preggers outfit, we all thought it was some type of gown..never ever expected it to be a nightgown. LOL.. Was thinking the samething.."You Slept in that..Your Braver than I thought!" (to paraquote Han)[face_laugh]

13. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    I'm sure she often woke and went to work with the dreaded "Pearl Face" indentations.

Needless to say, the Gungans were always cheesed at her...

"Where'sn she is gettin allsen deese? Fromin mysen garden?"

14. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Ceremonial Leia: I'm currently trying to learn mold-making and resin casting, to make the Leia Ceremonial necklace. Unfortunately, there's no way I'll have it by Wondercon this weekend. The version of the dress I have currently is more of a beta-version, to be honest, so sometime in the next year I'd like to re-do it.

Bastila: This one was partway completed for C3 last year, and has been sitting in my closet ever since. The armor needs to be finished, and the leotard needs to be re-done - it ended up not fitting well, but I guess that's what happens when you're finishing it up at 2am the night before your flight. Kai, if you do a Revan costume, that may give me the kick I need to get motivated on going back to finishing my Bastila.

Goa'uld, Stargate: I'm planning to make this one for Starfest this year. I haven't decided yet between a new custom version or a canon character, though. I'm terribly indecisive.

15. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Hey, so your going out to Denver for StarFest? That's a fun con. Jos and I have been invited to go, so if we can work out all the details on getting the time off...... :)

Kai, I can hardly wait to see your new look! (Just please tell me that my favorite Hobbit will still be around occasionally) ;)

16. GreyJediPathfinder

GreyJediPathfinder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2005
    Just a note to those out-of-towners coming in to Denver for StarFest!

I have a Ford Explorer that LOVES to travel, I am willing to do airport runs to those of you who would like to save time on waiting for the hotel shuttles, or save money from using taxi's.

Just let me know your flight info and I can be waiting for you! My email is jedimistress at fanforce . net (do the right things to make it work!)

GreyJediPathfinder aka Master Shan of the Grey Jedi - Denver branch -

17. ID-2132

ID-2132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    My friend David has my box, I'll soon be working on armor and then fitting the hoses for my Tie Pilot.

Only, I'm now broke...so probably no Wondercon unless some kind soul finds it in their hearts to gift me $15 or lets me sell them some of my patches or something.

18. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    *dryly* I have a horde of friends out there who would hunt me to the ends of the earth if I didn't show up at Starfest this year. ;) It definitely is a fun con, though. I missed last year because of it being just a week off C3, but am really looking forward to this year. Now if I can just get some real progress made on costuming...

GreyJediPathfinder - thanks for the offer! I have no idea yet on my plans, but I'll keep that in mind.

19. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Jos and I are invited out there for this...just trying to work out schedules. Really is a fun convention. :) Hmmm, Hey Ani! Want to go if we go? Get your saber ready, Kid? We just might try.

20. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    quote=Taeriel]Bastila: This one was partway completed for C3 last year, and has been sitting in my closet ever since. The armor needs to be finished, and the leotard needs to be re-done - it ended up not fitting well, but I guess that's what happens when you're finishing it up at 2am the night before your flight. Kai, if you do a Revan costume, that may give me the kick I need to get motivated on going back to finishing my Bastila.
    [/quote]

I've started on it! It's going to be a big project for me, though, 'cuz everything for it is...something I've never done! Wheee!

[image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000q40ya/s640x480.jpg]
    [image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000s23wf/s640x480.jpg]
    [image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000rhs12/s640x480.jpg]
    [image=http://pics.livejournal.com/scendan/pic/000rk62y/s640x480.jpg]

Sorry for the way that the boards squish thumbnails. The pics are proportioned properly when you click on them! The first is just a reference screencap of the character. The next are in-progress sculpts for Revan's mask, vambraces, and...er...those little armor dealies on the backs of Revan's hands. Nobody I know, including SCA armorers, have given me a proper name for them. The vambraces and armor dealies are basically done, sculpt-wise (most of their detailing will be in the paint-job); the mask has a lot more work before it's done and ready for casting. Eventually, it'll all be vacuformed. I'm trying these pieces first as part of the learning curve, then when and if they work out, will move on to the cuirass.

Inspiring enough to finish Bastila? ;)

- Kai

21. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Nice, you doing vacuum forming?

22. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Yup... :)

23. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Wooooo, and you live where?

Just kidding, but I might have some stuff eventually for you to cast, if you allow comission work that is (and I pay for materials).

Love to get some TIE Pilot stuff too, almost got hooked up with a group last year, but stuff happens, got distracted, etc.

Maybe in the next place we get into, if we become owners, we can set up or own shop, sigh.

Still remember the panic when a mold retaining wall broke and plaster spilled all over the tile countertop in the appartment way back when. Thankfully the plaster matched the grout...

24. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    LOL! I live over an hour from you, unfortunately, and am relying upon the kindness of a friend of mine to make use of his vacuform, which is smallish. We'll be crossing our fingers that the cuirass sculpt will actually FIT. So...comission work might be possible, but would have to be negotiated with my 501st buddy as well. ;)

- Kai

25. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    LOL, 501st person? Wonder if it's the same guy I was chatting with last year at Baycon ABOUT the TIE uniform...

Anyway, everything is on hold for now pending the move. Still like to have at least ONE party at the house while we're still here, but don't know when or how, flux capacitor is too unreliable, time seems to be spinning out of control...

And I can't find the DeLorian anywhere.

*cues up the Huey Lewis music*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.