main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ New Zealand Idol

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Mar 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, but with increasing obesity in this country SPORT should be encouraged!

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What the hell are you on about?

Do you think Dunedin Hospital misses out on a new heart defibrilator because NZ Idol was made?

Even if there was taxpayer money used to fund it (and I have no idea if that is the case, I highly suspect not), it will have come from a portion of money already allocated to television / music via NZ On Air or whatever, it doesn't effect heathcare or whatever in the slightest.

And really, you should know by now not to swear on these boards.

3. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    It *was* funded by tax payers money.

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    OK, $450,000 was funded from tax via NZ on Air, but that's the 'loss' of other locally made TV and music, not sport, heath, education or whatever.

5. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    I think what's going to be interesting is the number of people who actually buy the album/single versus the people who watched the show.

I found the show quite compelling, and watched it quite religiously. But I would never even _concieve_ of buying the single or album. Of my 1000 plus CD collection, I just know it'd be the one played the least.

I think that Ben (like Truebliss) may find that the public is very fickle, and that the massive exposure doesn't necessarily determine a long-term career.

What's the word at your workplace JP? Long haul or flash in the pan?

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    We'd be surprised if it didn't follow the TrueBliss post-show career-path.

It's all about TV ratings, not about album sales (though obviously the advance single and the album will debut at #1, due to the 3 months of marketing buildup).

Also, read Hard News today...

7. -SILVER-

-SILVER- Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    I enjoyed the final of NZ Idol up until the end when Ben said that he won because of god.

So, I guess Ben thinks that god decided to punished his good friend Michael.

8. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    ... that's a stupid argument, Silver.

Ben was being thankful for getting where he did. But that doesn't mean that Michael was "punished by God". Michael just got less votes.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I think it was meant as a joke, not as an argument, STH.

At any rate, God smiled on Michael when Micheal Bradshaw of BMG signed him for an album deal too.

// Happy Ending //

10. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    All Ben said was 'most of all, I'd like to give praise and glory to God above'. He never said anything about winning because of God. It's an integral part of Tongan culture to always show due respects to God when doing any public address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.