main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY Niagara Grape & Wine Parade / FanForce Party

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by YoungJediNiagara, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    For the third year in a row members of Young Jedi Niagara are going to be participating in the Niagara Grape & Wine Festival Grande Parade. This is one of the largest parades in North America with over 200,000 people lining the streets of St. Catharines.

This event is slowly becoming Y.J.N.?s signature event every year. Each year we expand our ranks and this year is no different. We are anticipating doubling the amount of people in costume and we have also entered a truck for this year.

We have invited the participation of Star Wars fans everywhere including FanForce, the 501st and Rebel Legion. Already we expect people from as far away as London Ontario to Syracuse New York, and all points in-between. This has the potential to be the largest gathering of fans outside of a convention or movie event in all of Canada!

Here is the basic information:

The parade takes place in St. Catharines, Ontario on Saturday, September 27th, 2003, with a start time of 11:00 am.

If you want to join us, you will need to meet us at our gathering spot, 16 Gerrard St. (directions to follow) for 9:00 am. There are facilities to change into your costumes; at it is only a 5-minute walk to the parade route.

The route is about 3 km in length, and takes about 60 minutes to do once we start. You will need lots of water (that can be stored in the truck)! Children under the age of ten are not permitted to walk in the parade, but are permitted to ride in the back of the truck.

You will need a costume, to walk in the parade. If you do not have one, but still wish to walk in the parade please contact us, we do have some extras and they will only be available for fitting the morning of the parade.

Of course anyone without a costume is still invited to watch the parade and then join us afterwards for the post-parade FanForce Party. After the parade, FanForce members and the 501st/Rebel Legion is invited for food and fun held at 12 Hutchinson Court, about an hour after the parade is over. There is going to be access to a pool, and we'll provide a variety of games and munchies for you to enjoy.

We are still looking into what kind of food will be offered. If we get the number of people we are expecting to come we will most likely have dinner semi-catered. If that is the case we will be asking everyone to bring $2-$5 to help cover the cost of the food.

Please let us know if you are coming as soon as you can. This will allow us greater ease of planning for your arrival and we can try to make your participation that much more enjoyable. There is already a thread in the Niagara FanForce Forum that has a list of people that will be attending. Please head over and add yourself to the growing list, along with your real name and the costume you will be wearing. (I?ll have nametags made up for parade day.)

2. WebsJedi

WebsJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2002
    *pokes his fellow Syracuse Fanforce people* I know a few of you are going so you might want to post on the official thread. My name looks so alone under the Syracuse list of people who are going :_|.

-K

3. Padawan_Drogon

Padawan_Drogon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    We are considering it, but it will probably be a one-day trip for us if we go. Any idea how long it takes to get there?

4. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I wanna say somewhere in the ballpark of two to three hours from Syracuse - Strawbary might remember. We (JediAgent and I from Rochester) were supposed to meet up with Strawbary and her kids last year at a rest stop wicked early. (Unfortunetly we missed her, but that's another story ;) )

Can't really remember what time we left but I know for us it was roughly two hours, so it may take a bit longer for you guys.

Also (I'm sure this will be mentioned) allow some extra time for customs and get a copy of your birth certificate to take with you - just in case!

5. Karate-Jedi

Karate-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2003
    I know that I will not be able to go. (I even brought a tent)

My wife flies out to Jordon in the Middle East for 2 weeks so, I have to look after the animals. :(

6. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    For those that are looking for a place to sleep...some of our members are offering beds at their houses.

It will be much more comfortable to stay Friday evening instead of driving Saturday morning to try to get here by 9:00am.

7. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    from Syracuse it takes a little over 3 hrs if you enter at the
    St. Catherines border. We may be staying the weekend there so we are looking into some cheap hotels....any ideas Chris?

I know there are 5 traveling with me this year. I think Chang said he was going to try to go as well :)

8. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    What price ballpark are you looking for? (Be sure yu let me know if it is in Canadian or US currency ;))

9. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    Hi Everyone :)

It looks like we are going to have a HUGE turnout for this event, which is totally awesome. We never expected this many people to come, so we are totally blown away by the postings!!

I am trying to keep up to date on the head count and making sure I have everyone's names right and costumes. Can you please check the list I have posted in the Niagara Forum, and if I am missing someone, or I have a name wrong (which I am sorry if I did but I am only human :) ) or if you know what you are wearing now, could you please PM me with the correct information and I will get it updated ASAP.

Here is the list I have posted so far in our forum:
    Karl (WebsJedi) -
    Vicky (Strawbary) -
    Gordon (Padawan_Drogon) -

Thanks for your time and we look forward to seeing you!!

Debby

10. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    Drogon will be bringing his family with him, so keep that as a tally too.

11. Padawan_Drogon

Jun 17, 2003
    Actually, thats ASSUMING we will make it. We are going to try, but its not a definite yet. If we make it, it will be me (Jedi), Raef Wolfe (Jedi) and Darth Arjuna (Sith).

12. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm outnumbered... but I have a glowy lgihtsaber blade.

13. Chang

Chang Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I can make it on the 27th. I have the weekend off from work.

14. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    WHOOO HOO! go chang go chang!

:)
    will u be going in costume? we still need to get a workshop going for some finishing touches :)

15. Padawan_Drogon

Jun 17, 2003
    OK, its a definite (barring unforseen circumstances). Myself, Darth Arjuna, and Raef Wolfe will be driving down early on the 27th and will be joining you. I'll post something in the Young Jedi Niagara forums as well, and hopefully there will be clear directions there.

(guess we better get those costumes in shape quick, huh?)

16. Padawan_Drogon

Jun 17, 2003
    P.S.: If someone needs a ride there let me know. We'll have room for another comfortably and 2 more a little crowded.

17. Chang

Chang Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I don't have a costume and won't have time to complete one between now and the 27th. I can never find the time to make one.

18. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    Hi Everyone.

Just an update on the parade and after parade dinner/party.

YoungJediNiagara and the rest of there group have managed to get a school hall for the after parade Party/dinner. There will a small charge for this event of $10 CAD that's about $7.33USD per person. This will also mean that you will have a place to change and store your stuff while you are parading, toilets and parking. This includes insurance for the premises as well.

Any opinions?

19. strawbary

Mar 11, 2002
    we need a link for directions from Syracuse and also details on meeting time.....

20. Padawan_Drogon

Jun 17, 2003
    What she said. Sounds good though, Karate.

21. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    OT just a little bit.

One good thing has happened that makes me glad I will not be going to the wine and grape festival.

I will be attending a Kendo seminar on the 27th. If I can't be with you I will have to practice with my lightsaber.

22. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    Update...

I now have the venue for the dinner/party. It will be held at:-

Memorial School
    17 Welland
    St. Catharines
    Ontario
    Canada
    L2R 2M1

Time:
    9:00am (parade starts at 11:00am)

Youngjediniagara has sugested that people use mapquest.com for directions but, i know that I have had trouble with mapquest before. So it's up to you if you want to use it.

23. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    As I posted in the planning forum, I find MapQuest isn't that great either. (You should have seen the less than ideal path it suggested I take to get to Atlanta)

I have a set of directions that will get you there, combine that with the MapQuest maps and you shouldn't have a problem. PM me for the directions if you require them.

24. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    The problem with MapQuest is that sometimes it also goes the cheaper route. I know an instance where you could cut a half hour out of your transit time if you took the Thruway.

25. Padawan_Drogon

Jun 17, 2003
    If anyone is done with the books they borrowed and wants to return them for new ones, or if someone new wants to borrow some and will be at the parade, send me a PM and I'll bring the books along. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.