main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non-SW Fan Art board - Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Mar17swgirl, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The title pretty much says it all. We already have a Non-SW fanfic board, and while it's not as populated as the main SW fanfic section, it definitely has a place on these boards and its own community of people who post there regularly.

So, if fanfic can have it, why not fan art as well? I'm sure there are a lot of talented artists around these boards who do art outside the SW fandom and would like to share it with other JCers.

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    There will always be a following for non-SW art - as an artist myself, I'm always delving in all kinds of subject matter - the issue that I have with this right now is the actual traffic it'll generate. I'm going to put it right out there on the table and say that I don't think it'll be enough to warrant a new board. Fan Art is a slow board so as it is with an average of about 5-10 posts a day. We do have a dedicated group of regulars that come in and post and comment on artwork all the time, but I don't think it'll be nearly enough to kick-start a new community. Now, it is quite possible that a non-SW board will bring in new people. And if that's the case, I think they fail to realize what Fan Art currently offers as it stands right now.

We do allow non-SW art. I post it all the time and quite a few of the regulars post it all the time. All that I ask is that you start out with some sort of SW related art to introduce yourself to the community. From there, as long as it stays within the TOS, I'm open to anything. This has been in place for years and maybe it was a failure to get it out there to the community that this question is coming up now. If so, then I'm putting it out there now - I have no issues with non-SW art being posted to Fan Art.

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    As someone that peruses Fan Art every now and then I can say I've seen a lot of non-SW stuff posted. The problem is as above, traffic. At 50 posts per page the forum front page goes back to May 2nd right now. Even then the threads at the top aren't giant hives of activity and so there isn't enough proof of a sustainable culture to warrant a further forum.

I know this has come up before, and I don't personally find any issues with the artists that come along posting all their different work (as long as there is some SW stuff in there).

4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Ah. Thanks for the clarification of the situation in Fan Art - I used to post there regularly, but that was years ago. :p

And I understand that low traffic counts against creating a new board.

But what if someone (me, for instance) would like to share their artwork with people, but don't have any SW related stuff? I know this is a SW site, but we all know that it's not the same as it was during the years when the Prequels were coming out. In many areas it has moved away from SW (as marked with the creation of the Non-SW fanfic board and other boards as well).

So I'll ask this: would it be possible to change Fan Art policy to allow people posting only non-SW fan art? They could mark it clearly "Non-SW" in the thread title, if necessary...

5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I think it would be wiser to make it just a general art section. It would increase traffic. Plus there's loads to talk about with official Star Wars art and whatnot, concept art, etc. which usually ends up being scattered through other forums. I dunno, I know I'd be into a wider range of content for that forum, but that's just me. I dunno the demand.

6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, I like that idea, SLG!

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I wouldn't have a problem with the idea of either allowing non-SW fan art (without any SW to start the thread) or making it a more general art forum. That said, however, I've never really frequented that forum, so I'd rather see comments from those who do than rely on my own opinion here.

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I personally have no issues with it. It would be nice to stick to some things SW since this is a SW board at its core, but at the same time, I think it'll breathe new life into the forum if we start allowing non-SW art in general.

SLG also brings up a great point about general art related threads to spur discussion. While it's great to come into Fan Art and just view the artwork, that can get monotonous after a while and I have a feeling that it could also be contributing to the low traffic coming into the forum. I would love to try some general art threads and see what comes of them.

With that said, I love all the suggestions I've seen so far. I'm going to go ahead and point this thread out to the folks over in Fan Art and hopefully they will come over and chime in on the discussion.

9. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Personally, I don't think there is a need to divide the FanArt boards into SW and non-SW. I feel that it can still exist within the individual artist's own threads.

An General Art thread might go beyond that of user-created artworks and contain material such as concept artworks from films/games, art discussions, art techniques, etc. Though that could also be done within their own individual threads inside the Fan Art boards. Example would be how the Videogames section has discussion threads assigned the major current generation consoles and linked in the menu at top.

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, I think a more general Art forum, where people could not only post their fan art (both SW and non-SW), but also have discussions about artwork and different techniques, would make the forum more attractive to users and create more traffic.

11. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    I mean...personally, I feel like there's not much need to split up SW from non-SW. As previously mentioned, a lot of the artists, myself included, continuously update our personal threads with our work. If there's Star Wars art inside, what's the harm? Obviously, we're here to discuss Star Wars fanart, but mixing it up a little would make things pretty fresh. I don't see the non-SW art getting too out of control, as there are plenty of other outlets for Non-SW art, such as DeviantArt, and frankly, different message boards pertaining to the subject matter. However, it's a great way to bring attention to the rest of one's gallery and who knows? Plenty of the subject matter may be additional eye candy of interest to people who may not check the non-SW art forum, if one should exist. I'm inclined to think people will find the experience more beneficial than annoying.

Just like every board, it'll need moderation here or there, but I don't see the need to split the two. As long as people are posting Star Wars-related art in addition, there's no harm, right? Starting a thread to show off Pokemon art, or something, and then not updating it at all with any SW work...that's a different story. There are other outlets for that, that don't have to be TFN!

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    But the JC has grown to become a rather special community, and many people around here aren't as crazy about Star Wars as when the boards were at their height during the Prequels release... Yet they remain posting here because there are other things keeping them here - it's more about the community than Star Wars, IMHO (though by no means I'm suggesting that SW has no place here! That would be ridiculous). I mean, what if I'm no longer interested in SW? Should I automatically stop posting here and go elsewhere? No, I'm staying because throughout the years I made friends here and want to stay in touch with the JC community.

Expanding to non-SW fandoms didn't do fanfic any harm...

13. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    No complaints from me on that standpoint! I just don't particularly feel like it's necessary -- but if it's going to keep the community together, then of course, by all means! =)

14. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    If there's a demand for non-SW Fan Art, I don't see a problem with expanding as we did with non-SW Fan Fiction. I wouldn't have a problem making it a General Fan Art forum, as SLG suggested. If the traffic in the SW Fan Art forum isn't busy at all, it wouldn't make much sense to have two forums.

15. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I think I'm going to go ahead and run with this. I really think it'll benefit the forum to make the transition over to a General Fan Art forum. Before I go ahead and do anything, I wanted to share with you how I was planning to handle this. Of course, your feedback is welcomed.

I was considering having individual threads for different fandoms(most popular or by request) to post other artwork besides SW. It will have a clear label pointing out which fandom the thread is for and possibly a running index in the first post to highlight all the artwork. The index will be updated monthly(with the challenge). And as always, you will also be free to post any new work to your personal art thread. I may also consider choosing people to help with keeping the index and the different threads organized. As Fan Art has unlimited editing time, this shouldn't be a problem.

The general art/discussion threads can be handled on a case by case basis. If you want a thread to discuss a certain topic, then by all means, create one. We currently have a thread discussing comics and the methods used in their creation as well as a fairly old thread going over techniques and tips on creating certain types of artwork. I'm open to all possibilities here, just make sure the topic stays within the TOS.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Sounds great to me! :)

17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I think it sounds awesome. So if I'm reading it right (I need more coffee atm), there would be fan art challenges for non-sw things? Because if so I am so in. SO IN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.