main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Obi-Wan Force FX LIghtsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by The_Random_Menace, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Bandalak

Darth_Bandalak Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2006
    It's a bit brighter. I'm not sure if my Anakin FX is just different, but it's got some places that are a bit brighter than other places that aren't very noticable. But the Obi-Wan FX is a more solid blue. But yes, it did seem a bit brighter.

:mad: More $AVING!!

Also, are the blades on the DM FX and the Obi-Wan FX really the same length? The DM FX blades felt a bit shorter. Maybe it has to do with how long the hilt and complete saber is....

2. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    My Luke ROTJ has some minor splotches, too. I think it has something to do with the difuser not being of good enough quality. And since I've never seen an Obi-wan in person I really can't answer that question, but I can tell you this: the Maul blade is longer than my Luke blade. Only slightly, about half an inch.

3. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    LOOOOOOOOOONGER!?!?!?!?
    WOW

It seemed....shorter, to me.

4. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Are you sure a LED inside the blade is not broken? It happens sometimes, especially during dueling. If it was that way from the start, I think you should get it replaced.

5. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    It was like that from the start, and trust me all of the other fx's I've seen have these splotches. And I've never dueled with the Luke. I did fight Ray Park with my Maul though!!!

6. GreytaleNovastar1138

GreytaleNovastar1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2005
    The "splotches" are the actual LEDs themselves, encased in a bit of foam, which is hidden underneath the diffuser film that is housed in the thin polycarbonate blade tube. The splotches occur because it's fairly difficult to get "even" light when the entire stick is not one giant light. The MR blades are made up of 64 LEDs that are "chained" together via silicon wafer board and solder joints. Very pretty--but also pretty precarious for duelling.

I can assure you from studying LED sabers thoroughly (having to put together "Balance of Power")... that LEDs themselves--of any kind--will rarely break. They are encased in resin in the MR sabers, and Luxeons are housed in the clearer silicone, which also has higher light transferance. It is the solder joints that loosen or wires that sever or fray due to duelling--not the LEDs.

On the other hand, Luxeons are powered by a single LED that is housed in the hilt and focused upward. There are no electronics in the blade, so not only are the weapons unaffected by duelling... but if you have a wiring or LED problem, you know where to look... in the hilt!

Also, you can remove the blades, which might help for people who want sabers that double as "belt hilts". Practical, multi-purpose, and tough as a lion. Super-awesome flashlights too! :)

The FX Obi-Wan saber (much like the Darth Maul) is simply a recreation of one of the older boards & speakers in a new hilt. It is possible that the LEDs they used are a bit better--but they are nothing compared to a Luxeon. Also, you may have noticed that the Maul engine/sound/light board--is indeed exactly the same as the Vader. One clash sound --very irritating! :)

7. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Man I wish I could get my hands on that Obi-wan saber. I mean, I don't even have to own it. I just wanna see one in person. And another question: If the Maul is exactly like the Vader, is the Obi-wan exactly like the Anakin?

8. UltraSWG

UltraSWG Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 20, 2005
    Sound-wise, yes, they are the same.

9. Gen-Kenobi

Gen-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2006
    Well my Kenobi FX arrived yesterday and I was shocked at just how bright this is. Its much brighter than the Mace windu I have and even in a well lit room it looks amazing. My only complaint is still the size of the emitter/neck but I can live with that, I also did notice with this saber it seems that it takes a little more impact to activate the clash sounds, otherwise this is by far my favorite saber of the ones released so far, not the most movie accurate but certainly an impressive saber. Now that my costume is 99% complete and my beard is almost just right I am hoping to have some pictures of me as ROTS Obi-Wan.

10. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I can't wait to see it, then! Hmm... that's funny, the Maul takes less impact to get a clash and the Obi-wan apparently takes more?

11. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Yeah.
    You can actually hit the handle of the DM FFX and it will make the clash sound.

12. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    The Mace blade is probably a bit dimmer because it's made up of blue LEDs with a pinkish filter to make it look purple, since there are no purple LEDs. Anytime you introduce some sort of filter, you loose some of the brightness.

13. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    J-Lo, although MR does not use them it is not entirely correct that there are no purple leds. Let's not forget about Do-Clo's UV led project that actually came up again last night. Those puppies put out a very nice purple. While it may be technically correct that there have been no manufactured purple leds, the uv's do a bang up job:D

14. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    MR doesn't use the uv's unfortunately.

15. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    I didn't forget the UV LEDs, but didn't include them here because they are a shorter wavelength, outside of the visual spectum.

They don't do much good unless you are using them to make something fluoresce, like what Do-Clo did with his green acrylic blade. They don't really show up like something giving off purple light would.

There is no real purple color, anyway, it's a mixture of red and violet. Just like there is no brown or white, those are mixtures of different wavelengths.

Here's a portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, dealing with the visible light range, for those that have never seen it, if they care:

[image=http://acept.la.asu.edu/PiN/rdg/color/visible.gif]

Sorry if I'm derailing this thread a bit. [face_blush]

16. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    :-B That's okay. Some of this can be really informative.

17. Zhi-don

Zhi-don Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2005
    Just for the record, I got to try out one of the Obi-wan's at COMICCON. Alex [ULTRASABER] brought one by the RL booth. Several points. 1) The sound card is the same one in the GOODGUY sabers. 2) The emitter assembly [neck area] is way too big and the wrong colors are used. 3) The whole saber is too big. I know this from looking at the original prop. The size makes it difficult to fight with.

One good point, at least for me, it has a really nice emitter. Can't wait until someone breaks one too bad to use and I can buy that emitter from them.

18. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    You must realize all fx sabers are larger than the screen-used props to fit all the electronics. Though the DM seems rather small (which I really like).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.