main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* 3NS ROTS Reviews (Ebert's review, spoiler-free inside!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I'd just like to point out that on RT "Cinderella Man" also has an 83%, and there's Oscar talk about it.

And Lucas will still never be the bride.

2. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    Yeah, RebelScum77, you're right about Lucas. But I think, really, Lucas could probably care less. He's always gone after his ideas and made the movies the way he wanted to. He wasn't trying to impress the critics or adjust his movie making to appease the Oscar voters. That's what makes him great, especially to his fans. It would have been nice though.:(

3. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Sadly, the rating score on IMDB has dropped steadily by the day, and as of today it is no longer tracked on their Top 250 movies list. The score stands at 7.9 right now, still a respectable score.

That site is dubious at the best of times, even though, when it's accurate, it serves as a valuable resorce. At the risk of adopting qualities that would more properly befit a conspiracy theorist, I am going to suggest that the voting system employed on IMDB is hardly scientific; did you realize, for instance, that you can change your vote long after having submitted the original score? How suspect is that? I think that the "top 250" list is sort of interesting to observe, but to be completely honest, it has little or no connection to reality; some of the movies on that list are mediocre as far as I'm concerned. It's a popularity contest, nothing more - based on that selection of films, we are supposed to believe that "Fight Club" and "The Two Towers" (no I don't think that those films are poor, I'm just using them as examples) are better movies than "Ikiru" and "Days and Nights in the Forest"? If an individual were to say to me that he/she preferred "Fight Club" and "Towers" to the works of Kurosawa and Ray, then I would be able accept that position as it conforms to a specific opinion; I have little use for what amorphous collectives "think" about anything, which ultimately nullifies the significance of a poll such as the one in question.

The IMDB thing isn't too surprising. Unfortunately, those types of voting polls start with a gush of people giving it 10, then most people giving it's real score, and then a bunch of people backlashing and giving it 0.

Absolutely, bswb. There is a short period of "grace", such as there was for the previous prequel films, during which people rate the respective movies based on their immediate reaction; unfortunately, some individuals can be fickle, and eventually succumb to the bastions of negativity, the dogmatics of whom begin to permeate the public consciousness. While I am cognizant of the fact that some people do in fact change their opinions on things for reasons which contain a modicum of validity, I am not certain (and this is an unfortunate statement to have to make) that a large amount of the public is actually rather gullible. If you dislike the film to begin with, or take issue with it in retrospect, that's fine. That isn't the point of my diatribe.

I'd just like to point out that on RT "Cinderella Man" also has an 83%, and there's Oscar talk about it.

I loved "Cinderella Man"; I thought that Ron Howard's film was an enormously engrossing popular entertainment, driven by a series of fine performances and robust storytelling techniques. It is without question more prestigious than a picture such as "Revenge of the Sith", but not deeper. "Sith" is rather contemplative about tough issues such as morality, humanness, guilt, politics, and so forth, and yet it is contained within the confines of a science-fiction adventure story, whose trapping tend to have people overlook such complexities. I read a critic who went so far as to draw comparisons between psychologist Alice Miller's book "For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Child-Rearing and the Roots of Violence" (heavily-maligned for its attempt to create a "human" portrait of Aldolf Hitler, as it explores the foundations of evil), and "Sith", indicating that Lucas, by chronicling the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker, was communicating a similar conceit. This critic went on to call ROTS, "a profound movie". But don't worry, the only awards for which "Sith" will ultimately contend are the Razzies.[face_plain]

Oh, and be prepared for the endless comparisons between upcoming movies such as "Batman Begins" and "War of the Worlds", and "Revenge of the Sith"; people will use the first two films to criticize the third. In fact, you need go no further than the Ampitheatre forum to observe just that. Anyways, I nonetheless look forward to "Batman" and "Worlds", and hopefully

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.