main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA ***Official*** Anime Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by MALICE_MIZER, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    I've got that station, too, on Roadrunner, it's called Boomerang. It's an interesting concept, but there are a total of maybe 4 different shows in its rotation that they re-run continuously all day. Let's see, there's Thundarr, Godzilla, Super Friends, and something else...Super friends is pretty cool, but we still need more cartoons.

2. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    ...And before this turns into my own personal Cartoon Network-Bashing thread, whose seen 'Neon Genesis Evangelion'? It starts out as what seems to be your normal "giant-hero-robot-takes-on-equally-giant-adversary-and-buildings-get-destroyed" cartoon, but evolves into a richly detailed plotline involving Government cover-ups and Theological thematic elements. It's 26 episodes, with 2 movies, and I must say it is awesome. The mecha designs for the heroes are well done, and the story totally sucks you in. Dvdplanet may still have box-sets of all 8 dvds. They're a little light on the supplemental material, but that just places more emphasis on watching the show, and not getting hung up on details. There are enough in the series to begin with. I highly recommend it, and definitely re-watch it just to catch up on what you missed the 1st time.

3. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    The box sets are still available at Best Buy. I went there last night to pick up Angel and X-Men 1.5, but that's another thread.

Speaking of DVDPlanet, I can't stand their return policy. A friend of mine has tried to return a couple of things based on 1) Disc was scratched and 2) Video jumped. The first one, scratched disc, they said sorry, can't help ya. Then they told him to shake the package next time to make sure it's in their tight (it was loose when he bought it and they wouldn't exchange it). The second time was some anime he had bought. He had the guy skip to where it jumped at and the guy said "That's not that bad". He was like :eek:. Of course, I did the same thing when he told me. I've never had a problem with a disc I've bought from them (thankfully), but I don't think I'll be buying from them anymore. They have the most restrictive return/exchange policy of any store I shop at.

4. darth_avery

darth_avery Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    can we include Manga in this thread! i' kinda a comic book freak too.

5. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    Of course, D_A. What manga are you readin'? I'm looking at the pictures in the 'One Piece' Manga I bought at Ebisu Shoten. Looking at the pictures is all I can do, since I cannot read Japanese.

6. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    ...And to show I'm not a COMPLETE Cartoon Network Basher:

In a press release yesterday, Cartoon Network has announced that several anime titles will appear on their upcoming "Giant Robo Week" scheduled to begin on 2/24 on their Toonami programming block.

The weeklong event will feature classic 'Gigantor' segments plus 'Neon Genesis Evangelion', 'Dai-Guard', 'Nadesico', and 'Robotech'.

Fans will notice from the schedule listed below that each series has only been allocated 1-2 days for approximately 1 hour segments.

Evangelion: 2/24 and 2/25 @ 4:30PM (ET/PT)
    Dai-Guard: 2/27 and 2/28 @ 4PM (ET/PT)
    Nadesico: 2/24 and 2/26 @ 4PM (ET/PT)
    Robotech: 2/26 and 2/28 @ 4:30PM (ET/PT)

Yay. And stuff.

7. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    Astro Boy
    Cannon God EXaXXion
    Shoshin Mei Dotanuki
    Blade of the Immortal
    Bubble Gum Crisis
    Akira
    Gunsmith Cats
    OH My Goddess!
    Shadow Star
    Outlander
    Orion
    Spy Boy
    Venus Wars

8. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    find your Cowboy bebop soulmate[image=http://xrayanime.com/test1/soulspike.jpg]
    Who is your Cowboy Bebop Soul Mate? Take the test.

[image=http://xrayanime.com/test2/testjetxx.gif]
    Which Cowboy Bebop Character are you? Take the test.

those pictures are my results. these are really dorky tests but o-well

9. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    (points to the above post)

That was our boards 5000th post!!!! whooooo!

[image=http://www.starttheparty.com/starttheparty/images/confetti.gif]

10. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    That's a great post, D_A, a great one for the forums' 5000th. Cowboy Bebop rules. I'll be taking the test tonight while I'm watching 'Joe Millionaire'. I hope my soulmate's Faye....rrrrowwrrr, and I hope I turn out to be Vicious.

BTW, last night's 'Samurai Jack' rocked!! Little to no spoken lines, just non-stop undead and slaying. My kind of cartoon.

11. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    Spike is the greatest cowboy Bobop character ever!!!!!!!!i thinkhe's the sexiest manga character i've ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    The 'Cowboy Bebop' Personality test was kind of ungratifying. I kept changing my answers to get the characters I wanted, but I kept getting people that only were in the series for like one episode. Oh, and pretty much any choice you make for the 'Who am I test' gets you Spike. I never really cared for him on the show.

If I was a bounty hunter like Spike, cornered by my adversaries in a hail of gunfire, I would at the very least fight back or try to get out of the situation as safe as possible, not have painful flashbacks of my old girlfriends and contemplate old, regretful memories. But that's just me.

Vicious, all the way. That's why the series ended the way it did (oops, possible spoiler)...My 2nd favorite character is Jet, though he's just back-up in every show.

13. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    o-well. most of the questions were sexually oriented any way. kinda gross but what do you expect from the hardcore CB fans

14. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    I'm a harcore CB fan, so what're you saying....=P

15. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    Just Copied and pasted this from TFN main page, OMG!!!!!

Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Announce Star Wars Animated Shorts
    Thursday February 20, 10:25 am ET

20 Animated "Clone Wars' Serial Shorts to Appear on Cartoon Network in 2003-2004

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 20, 2003--Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today a partnership to create Star Wars: Clone Wars, a series of 20 animated shorts that will air on Cartoon Network in 2003-2004 between other programming.

Star Wars: Clone Wars continues the saga where the live action feature film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones left off - at the beginning of the Clone Wars, an epic civil war that pits the old Republic against a vast separatist movement led by the forces of evil.

Each episodic short will be two- to three-minutes in length and will air exclusively on Cartoon Network at regularly scheduled times during the network's regular programming beginning later this fall. Clone Wars will be produced at Cartoon Network Studios by a team led by Genndy Tartakovsky, the creator of Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory.

As Clone Wars unfolds the valiant Jedi Knights lead the Republic's Clone Army against many new and ruthless adversaries across the galaxy. These new characters, epic battles and intricate stories will add an exciting new dimension to the Star Wars saga.

"We are incredibly excited to be working with Lucasfilm in creating an animated story that extends one of the world's most beloved entertainment properties," said Sam Register, senior vice president of development for Cartoon Network. "Cartoon Network's creative team will work hand-in-hand with Lucasfilm to make sure that our common vision for Clone Wars thrills Star Wars fans around the world."

"Genndy Tartakovsky and the team at Cartoon Network are tops in their field," said Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing. "Their work on Samurai Jack shows that they can tell an epic story in a unique way, lavishing equal attention on dramatic battle scenes as well as the dramatic development of the characters."

16. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    i think i can tell you copied and pasted. personally i think there should be a "TALES OF THE JEDI" or "REPUBLIC" series like the comic books from dark horse. am i the ony one who reads those?

17. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I read them too and I love them. I think they would make an awesome animated series too. I just can't believe that the animated Clone Wars series is just gonna be 20 2-3 min shorts. What a let down.

18. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Yes I agree. What a let down, and I have been hoping these would happen since I heard the rumors. I guess getting something is better than nothing though.

19. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    i think i can tell you copied and pasted.

Well, EXCUSE ME. You know, I have the OC Boards saved to my favorites, so I hardly ever see the TFN main page, if at all. I assumed there might be people in the same boat...And this is pretty significant news.

20. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    somethiing tells me i hit the wrong button....but i digress....no kidding....what a let down. i wanted a friggin' series man! not some blip that will prolly never be re-runned.....like the Holiday special....o-no....bad memories...

21. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Uh, actually, I hope they NEVER rerun the Holiday Special. I still haven't even seen the entire thing. It really is an excruciatingly painful thing to watch.

22. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    i almost thought that read the Original Novelization of ANH was as bad as i got but oh-no....i was wrong!

23. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    So I'm halfway through Trigun now and I must say it's an awesome series so far. Vash really has some kind of mysterious past that he hasn't told anyone about fully. He always seems to run into someone that wants to kill him for things he did in his past, but that he's trying to atone for now.

Awesome series! I am just loving it!

24. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    Got this off of Movietickets.com, this opens Friday. Check local theatres for showtimes:

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (R); Limited Release

It is 2071 A.D. Planet Mars. On the eve Halloween, a tanker explodes killing and injuring more than 500 people on a freeway in the crater of Alba City. The damage extends beyond one kilometer from the center of explosion. The use of biological or chemical weapon is heavily suspected. The reward is W300,000,000.00 (Woolongs) to find out the perpetrator. Short of funds as usual, the crew of the Bebop is lured into the investigation by the staggering amount of money they could possibly receive for being able to accurately point the blame. They start a search on their own, and so begins the adventures of the young slacker, Spike Spiegel, and his cohort, the ex-cop, Jet Black, leading their gang of bounty hunters on the trail of an elusive nemesis.

Starring: Koichi Yamadera, Unsho Ishizuka, Megumi Hayashibara, Aoi Tada, Tsutomu Isobe
    Director(s): Shinichiro Watanabe

This movie is RAD. End of story. Go find where its playing and go see it. You'll be glad you did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.