main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL* AotC at the Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by w_sasso_mdtv, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Wow, this one wasn't locked...cool :)

Let's update it with the US All-Time list as from the end of January 2004 :

1 Titanic (Par 1997) $600,788,188
    2 Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (Fox 1977) $460,998,007
    3 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (Uni 1982) $435,110,554
    4 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (Fox 1999) $431,088,297
    5 Spider-Man (Sony 2002) $403,706,375
    6 Jurassic Park (Uni 1993) $357,067,947
    7 Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (NL 2002) $341,786,758
    8 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (NL 2003) $341,411,000***
    9 Finding Nemo (Dis 2003) $339,714,978
    10 Forrest Gump (Par 1994) $329,694,499
    11 The Lion King (Dis 1994) $328,541,776
    12 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer?s Stone (WB 2001) $317,575,550
    13 Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (NL 2001) $314,776,170
    14 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (Fox 2002) $310,676,740
    15 Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (Fox 1983) $309,306,177
    16 Independence Day (Fox 1996) $306,169,255
    17 Pirates of the Caribbean (Dis 2003) $305,413,918
    18 Sixth Sense, The (Dis 1999) $293,506,292
    19 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (Fox 1980) $290,475,067
    20 Home Alone (Fox 1990) $285,761,243

All SW films are still in the US Top 20, but it's gonna be tough for ESB over 2004...still a hell of a record.

2. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

Especially when you consider it's a 24 year old film.

3. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Maybe before the "Ultimate Edition" blue-laser release of the entire 6-Episode SW Saga hits retail stores there'll be enough time to squeeze in another release of all the films in theaters...

Something like having a new episode every week at a theater near you-- in true serial fashion.

4. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Wow, great list there DamonD -- makes for interesting reading. It's funny, I always thought that ESB made more money than that...

5. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, I'll put up the Worldwide list as well now :)

The Phantom Menace $925,588,297
    A New Hope $797,998,007
    Attack of the Clones $648,058,194
    The Empire Strikes Back $534,175,067
    Return of the Jedi $476,106,177

6. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I put a lot of money into the STAR WARS movie's totals. :) :cool:

7. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Then kudos to you. Hope you become a regular contributor to Ep3 as well ;)

8. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    And I guess I'll be saving this page too. A threadsavers work is never done.

9. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    hey, I remeber this place. We should make one for Ep3

10. BlueTrooper

BlueTrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2004
    Worldwide box office

1 Titanic.................................$1,835.4
    2 The Return of the King................$981.1
    3 Harry Potter 1.......................$975.8
    4 The Two Towers....................$926.0
    5 The Phantom Menace?.............$925.1
    6 Jurassic Park.........................$920.1
    7 The Fellowship of the Ring?......$870.9
    8 Harry Potter 2.......................$869.4
    9 Finding Nemo........................$853.8
    10 Spider-Man...........................$821.7

LOTR is making a killing.

11. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Its staggering to even imagine the kind of money that I see on this list. More interesting is the fact that the LOTR seems to be doing the reverse of conventional wisdom. Generally speaking the first movie in a trilogy does better than the next two releases. But for LOTR, its the reverse.

LOTR, Phantom, Spiderman, those totals are staggering but even more staggering and causing me fits is the total for Titanic.

$1.8 billion dollars? ?!?!?!

ROTK would have to nearly double that figure to reach it! Nearly $900 million more.

Astounding.

12. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Did this turn into a LOTR site? If so, I missed that memo. Specifically, I thought this thread was titled AOTC at the Box Office, not LOTR at the Box Office.

13. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    If you notice on that list... Only Star Wars and ET have been up there for any length of time. Home Alone was from 1990... but other than that... all those movies are from the last 5-6 years. There is Scamming in the Movie industry as Shifty as Enron. I believe box office Figures are inflated regularly, just like stock value, and it is the reason hollywood is collapsing under its own weight. The Studios themselves don't know how much money is really being made. And how much money is bleeding and embezzeled into the hands of others.

14. Philip023

Aug 30, 2002
    Shelly, which is the only movie trilogy have all three movies ranked in the top ten worldwide box office figures?

Oh yeah, that's right.

Lott Dodd:

More excuses from the gushers. Go to box office mojo and see the figures adjusted for inflation.

and as far as hollywood is concerned, i would posit too much money being paid in advertising, shallow comedies, and probably actor salaries most notably, the % of gross contract principle.

Other than that, Hollywood doesn't even manufacture films anymore. They're all being outsourced! don't ya love free trade!

15. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I too fail to see what LOTR has to do with AOTC at the box office. We shall keep the discussion on-topic, BlueTrooper and all involved. If you must compare the two, stick to FOTR and T2T, as they actually came out close to one another and thus directly affect each other's box office results.

Also, let's all do so in a way that invites discussion and not merely posting of lists and announcing the off-topic film's status.

If you wish to discuss LOTR's box office successes I invite you check out JCC.

Rick McCallum loves you!

16. BlueTrooper

Feb 15, 2004
    "If you must compare the two, stick to FOTR and T2T, as they actually came out close to one another and thus directly affect each other's box office results."

?[face_plain]

17. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    That was meant to imply: "In comparing LOTR to AOTC, try to stick to FOTR and T2T for the movies you discuss".

FOTR was still playing when AOTC hit; AOTC was still playing in IMAX when T2T hit.

AOTC and ROTK never overlapped and came out a good year-and-a-half apart, making potential comparison difficult in my opinion.

But as long as you link box office discussion back to the movie that is being discussed in this here forum, party on, dudes. :D

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Shelly,

Shelley.

which is the only movie trilogy have all three movies ranked in the top ten worldwide box office figures?

Oh yeah, that's right.

And what, exactly, does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

AOTC did extremely well, both in the U.S. and international box office. Just like all the other entries in the SW saga, and I have few doubts that Ep 3 will as well.

19. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    $310-320M for EpIII and the PT takes out LOTR in US.

I will crack a smile on that fine day.

20. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    More Excuses for the Gushers???? If we Adjust for Inflation Gone with the Wind still is number 1.

Yes Even If Someone Actually Paid 9 Dollars to See a Harry Potter Movie and only had to pay 8.50 to see The Phantom Menace and it only cost 3 dollars to see Empire that is not the point I was trying to make.

It is not just the adjusted inflation prices. THE STUDIOS ARE LYING ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY MAKE. It is a Scandal that is Ruining the Industry and being underreported right now. Because Every Movie is now a "Blockbuster" and they can only expect 3 weeks in the Theater or they are dumped for the next "Record Breaking Blockbuster". Opening Grosses Are being Exagerated and Reported Wrong. Box Office Mojo isn't running an Audit, they are reporting the figures the lying studios give them.

This Poor Accounting is a desperate measure of an industry in crisis. The Movies will make it through this, but ten years from now the film world landscape will be a very different playground.

21. Philip023

Aug 30, 2002
    Well I would probably agree with everything you said LottDodd. I have no doubt that given the corporate scandals of today, movie studios are probably the corporations that adjust their movie's grosses to "win the weekend" or "biggest opener ever".

But that aside, I doubt that it is signficant to the degree that it would displace a film's ranking by more than 10-20 million.

hey i didn't even bash the PT or the OT - I commented that I thought Titanic had an outlandish total and am completely stunned that it made so much money. i remember when it came out and it was bigger than sliced bread.

As to my comment on LOTR - perhaps we will see LOTR displaced by SW. I hope so. But that would mean that that EP3 would have to gross over $800 million worldwide. Certainly achievable.

22. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    If studios always inflated their box office grosses, then why don't they also inflate the grosses of some of the poorer films, or films that opened disappointingly? Why didn't Universal inflate the grosses of "The Hulk" or "Peter Pan" to make them look better? Why didn't Dreamworks inflate the numbers for "Gigli" which had an a pathetic $4 million opening weekend? They could've inflated it to a respectable $10-$15 at least, right?

Here's an economics lesson for the conspiracy theorists out there. The box office grosses are accumulated from the theaters and are reported to the media and the studios. The theater owners have to be relatively precise because if they cheat, they cheat themselves. If I joined a business venture with Don Corleone and we sold oranges ($1 each) and split 50/50, and I sold 10 oranges that day, the Don will expect his $5 or I will lose my legs. If I inflate the figures and say I sold 16 oragnes, he will expect his $8 or I will be in a wheelchair by next week. As with theaters, the money has to be accounted for so inflating figures actually makes it worse for them, as they will come up short when it comes time to pony up their share to the studios who get 50%.

23. BlueTrooper

Feb 15, 2004
    Who cares about domestic grosses, worldwide grosses are the real figures. You have to look at the whole picture.

"But that would mean that that EP3 would have to gross over $800 million worldwide. Certainly achievable."

It's possible but highly unlikely. Just looking at the trends of the previous films, Episode 3 would probably make around $575 million worldwide. It follows the trends of most trilogies with each movie grossing less than the previous.

Star Wars: A New Hope - $798.0
    The Empire Strikes Back - $534.2
    Return of the Jedi - $476.0

Episode 1 - $924.5
    Episode 2 - $648
    Episode 3 -

24. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Here's a better way JW00. When you own a company and you make let's $100+ million. At the end of the year you have to give a report to the heads guys. You can't up the number of how much you made. If you made $100+ million then you made $100+ million. On less you want to do what Enron did and lie about how much money you really have and or made.

So when SOTC made $310+ million that's it that's all it made. I can't add more to it or less to it. Same with your taxes. You can't add more or less. It has to be the real number.

25. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    f I joined a business venture with Don Corleone and we sold oranges

[face_laugh] BEST. REFERENCE. EVER. [face_laugh]

Rick McCallum loves you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.