main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised if GL has had second thoughts about making LAS "Live Action" and wants to do it as a high quality CG film. In the past decade he's been very keen on focusing on the digital age so making LAS wholly digital makes sense.

If this is the case, then the question is whether doing LAS Live Action is actually cheaper than wholly digital and as a guess I'm betting that the digital version is more expensive which is why he doesn't want to do it.

Doing LAS digitally means GL doesn't have to go back and deal with actors, sets and all the other physical limitations that comes with "traditional film making". On the other hand, would a purely digital LAS work with the audience? My guess is "probably not" which is another reason why he might've put it on hold.

I guess only time will tell.

2. RubyEncrustedSaber

RubyEncrustedSaber Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2010
    Very depressing thread [face_worried]

3. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I think they are just trying to get the logistics worked out. Lucas doesn't always get his projects out on time (see Red Tails) but he does do them once he gets into the process. He has paid for scripts to be written, pre-production and whatnot and obvious he is working on the production costs. He's too far along to just shut it down. I think they may be exploring shooting them on Digital SLR with all these tests they are doing (and pick up shots for Red Tails).

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  5. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Sad... but it sounds good to me. If it can be STAR WARS, it just can't be.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    50 million dollars per episode? Are they using real spaceships or something?

I mean...how...even if you tried...

7. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    That looked like a mild exageration to me. But, if you spend $200 million on an 2 hour film, $50 million for a 40 minute episode of the same quality sounds about reasonable. I think the shame is that it feels that the guerilla film-making quality is gone - they should be learning to write clever scripts that reuire less technology and work around the problems rather than just create a script based on prequel level effects.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I agree. It's just a way of saying you can't afford too much money with it. When he said that they are shooting with more sophisticated cameras, I started to remember that guy who made a shooting test with a small camera in Skywalker Ranch. I'm sure stuff is moving forward, but very slowly.

9. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    At least we will be seeing it in the future. I'd say antoher... 3 years perhaps? Maybe by 2012 sometime we should have some more clear info on what's happening.

10. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I'm glad to hear that it's still coming. How much do people want to bet Ahsoka will appear in it?

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I would bet that she doesn't. I find it strange that people don't seem to get that Ahsoka was created specifically for TCW series, and it would make sense to expect her fate to be settled within the it.

12. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    N

No, I get that. But after Mr. Filoni's comment on how we may be surprised at how some of he characters from this show react to Order 66, I have a feeling Rex won't shoot her down, she'll escape, and reappear in the LAS.

13. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I would understand the price if this was an action seriez, but it's supposed to be character-driven. How many assets could they need?

The good news is that, if George is so adament on the quality, price increase or not, this will be one great show! :eek:

14. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    How come it feels like although they said they weren't going to put jedi, vader, or sidious in this series, that they are going to put them in this series, considering the fact that starkiller looks like he is going to appear in the series?

I'm not complaining I would love to see the starkiller storyline be told in this series.

15. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    Leia appears to be around 14-16 in The Force Unleashed. I don't see how Starkiller can be in the series. He's too young and it makes the series start way late.

The series is supposed to pick up a little after Revenge of the Sith. 5 years after Revenge of the Sith, Starkiller is still way too young for that actor's comments to be about this show. If he's in the series, the show is only a few years before A New Hope. It doesn't add up to me.

16. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Gosh, I hope GL puts as much effort into getting the story awesome as he is with the effects.

17. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    What makes you think that Starkiller will be in the series?

18. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    He's referring to a video that appeared on Xbox Live, where the actor who plays Starkiller says he is involved in some TV series that 'we've probably already heard of, and are very excited about'.

I actually thought Lucas said 'Fifteen million', but I could be mistaken.

19. jacenskylo

jacenskylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2006
    I'm actually impressed they have fifty episodes written so far. It gives me A New Hope that this series will eventually come out

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    when should we expect this show to air? I've been hearing about this thing for years now.

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    $50 million an episode, I believe it. The "Boardwalk Empire" pilot cost $50 million to make. If you haven't had the chance, check out the pilot and as you watch, think how much work went into making it. I think you'll realize pretty quickly that making a Live Action Star Wars show actually look like Star Wars is going to be very expensive.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Keep in mind that Boardwalk Empire has to CGI New York areas to look like period New Jersey- which is a lot more complicated than just shooting against a bluescreen/CGI set extensions.

23. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    HBO corrected and said it was around $20 million. We can only hope (for the producers sake) that subsequent shows cost less than the pilot. Hopefully much of that money went to reusable sets and production value.

It just seems like the obvious answer for SWLAS is to bring in a skilled TV veteran who will rationally lower the scope of the scripts to a reasonable level to make the show. I would point out how much better Season 5 of Angel was than Season Four, after a drastic budget slash. Low budget, guerilla genre filmmaking still exists: it's called TV!

$50 million an episode just doesn't make sense. I'm sure George will find a way not to compromise his vision, but he's got to be careful not to have champagne taste on a beer budget. Having each TV episode look like movie level quality is a noble goal, but I don't think anyone reasonably expects that.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think people would settle for an above-Stargate level of quality, since Stargate, in recent years, has managed to pull off episodes equal in scale to SW films (with some direct homages to the destruction of the Sail Barge, Battle of Coruscant, Death Star Trench Run and the Rebel Fleet's jump to hyperspace in ROTJ). Just use less forests ;)

25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    What? No wookiees fighting in the rain? Now where's the fun in that?
    Very nice to hear that they are trying to put the project going, testing cameras and stuff. But movie per week? I could survive two weeks, if that would ensure we'd have any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.