main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW Official Meet Up Thread 2011

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Corellian_Outrider, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    It has been quite some time since all of us has had an official meet.

For our first official meet of the year... what would you feel like to doing?

I'll throw in a few ideas:

There is the movies. The Lion King, Johnny English or a number of films that are either out or are heading our way as we move closer to summer.

For something different...

There is a monthly Siggraph event that happens at night on the first wednesday of every month @ C.O.F.A. It involves guest speakers from the digital media industry and some of the previous speakers were from Animal Logic, the work that they had showcased is brilliant.

2. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I usually attend the Siggraph events every month and have been meeting up with Dan at them quite a bit lately. Whether or not they're relevant / an interest to others wandering these blessed halls, I don't know.

p.s. The Lion King in 3D is fantastic to watch on the big screen -- if only to see the beautiful film in a cinema once again. I enjoyed that a lot. Johnny English Reborn is great fun as well. As you can see, I'm always up for watching movies.

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It's a rare week that I don't see at least one movie in the cinema. So it's obviously not something I'd find disagreeable. Siggraph looks interesting, but given how I'm starting to zone out at things like this I have to go to for work I don't know how I'd do with one.

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Is work in a similar industry for you, Dingo/Matt?

5. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    It's medical, but on the technical side of things. So not similar in content, but in the nature and delivery I'd be suprised if there isn't a great deal of similarity.

6. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    i'm in the cbd 9-5 weekdays so anything nights i'm good for, just walk there when i leave for the day.

weekends i'm flexible.

i work in IT as a PFY so i'm good for almost anything :)

7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    That's understandable Dingo, I wouldn't be surprised if that's correct.

On a personal side note of interest since you mentioned the medical field: Do you often see or deal with any 'medical animations'? i.e. The computerised (and beauty-erised) version of a human's insides.

8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    This is great, this board has had the cob webs blown away and a spit and polish put on the floor! Loving it!

Yeah, Over zealous I know, but that's me. ;)

9. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Oooh... I definitely have to make time to see The Lion King before they take it away from cinemas. I wonder how the 3D conversion turned out and if it works. Now I have the urge to draw some of the characters.

I'll be attending this upcoming Siggraph on October 5th. This one looks different from how the others are usually and will focus on the Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole... according to the event guide. It should be fun.

10. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Tyi, sometimes, but I work in pathology and mainly in instrumentation so not on a regular basis.

Lion King in 3D is also on my list of movies to see. If nothing else I just want to see the movie on the big screen.

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Just a friendly reminder that the Siggraph is happening tonight for those that are interested in attending :). I plan to be outside of the theatre a bit before 7pm.

12. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    can't make it unfortunately :(

work is going kind of absolutely crazy

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I am in a similar boat for this week or so. November should be a good time to do something.

There is a bit of news for early next month, my former art teacher will be doing a masterclass/workshop on Wednesday, 2nd November for this upcoming Siggraph @ COFA. His works are amazing and he has worked for Disney and other animation companies for years and has taught me a lot. I miss his classes which were always fun and engaging.

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I'll definitely be there for the next talk!

And I thought I might add in here...

CONGRATULATIONS SIR MOD SIR CHAPTER REP DAN!

:p :D

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    If it be like how my classes were, you are gonna love it. Hopefully this week I can allocate some sparetime to drawing a bit more, still got several works in various stages of completion that needs finishing.

Also thank you!!! I'm a lil lost for words. :)

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Last Wednesday night's Siggraph showcased the new Wacom Inkling. It was a great evening and Barry demonstrated the device by doing a portrait sketch of a model as well as other things you can do with the device.

17. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    fyi Skyforce will be on Sunday 27th at Cabra Vale Diggers, usual nutbaggery, etc etc

I'll be there doing the trailers, christmas wish list, other stuff and normal stuff.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Hey Tek, mind if I just ask about Skyforce? For those of us not familiar with the usual nutbaggery, what is the event / what is the stuff?

19. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    star wars fan club based in mebourne, this is the sydney outpost, talks about books / comics / games / movies better than the prequels / things you can buy with your cash / auction / games / trivia / star wars other stuff and costuming stuff.

20. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    mmm see how I go, packing to move this weekend :)

21. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    i'm doing the same thing, moving in three weeks, i'm throwing out 27 years of crap i've hidden around the place

sold 2.5k of computer gear now haha

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I wasn't able to make it because of personal matters but how did the Skyforce event turn out?

23. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    pretty good, the diggers club was having its christmas event on so parking was a little short but not bad allround.

i've put links to most of the funny vids and christmas shopping guide on the facebook page if you want to look it over.

should say we are having the christmas do next weekend on the 10th, if anyone wants to come follow us from this link

http://www.facebook.com/events/269531126432548/

and i'll see you get added (you probably have scream man as a friend so it'll show up when you make yourself known)

24. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    We've now moved and I think we'll throw out more crap with the unpacking!

Will try and get to Skyforce in 2012, was just too much this time round.

25. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    had a great evening on the 10th, we got thrown out early because we had a kid in the party and apparently clubs in nsw are being told to turf out the underage by 10:30pm

photo's on facebook, etc etc, i'm sure scream and keylehr have seen them.

We should really try to arrange a meetup between now and 2013 sometime, even if we all just catch up at supanova