main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA *** Official Movie & TV Review/Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Kaui-Gone-Jim, Dec 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFett-MP

BobaFett-MP Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2001
    I agree, Daredevil was a great movie! I really enjoyed it. I'll be happy to go again with anyone who's interested.

2. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    AH Jim that is soooo cool about the Goonies thing!!!

Didn't make it to see Daredevil...was busy with other things...

OK guys, is it REALLY worth it for me to go rush out and see??? Convince me without giving away too much plot
    and Britt....Jennifer Garner can't be the sole reason to go lol ;) (I don't watch Alias....but I do remember her on Felicity)

3. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    FYI:
    Oh obsessed ones...
    Jennifer Garner. Tonight. SNL. 11:30pm. NBC.

And not that you care ;) but musical guest is Beck.

4. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    lu and i saw daredevil on friday night at 745 at downtown disney. no lines, fuss, no hassle. just right in. and now for the...

MOVIE REVIEW by zhi-don aquintas.

overall review: 8
    leading actor: 8
    leading actress: 9
    supporting actor for kingpin: 9
    supporting actor for bullseye: 10
    action: 8
    violence: 6
    sex: 3
    plot: 2
    special effects: 8
    music: 5 blended well

special feature: extra footage in the middle of the credits.

lu and i liked it. lu more than me. i think its a must buy for dvd.

thats it from your roaming movie reviewer

zhi-don signing off

5. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Princess, it's not about just Jennifer. the whole movie was done very well. It had a clear plot which I really enjoyed. Ben did a great job as Daredevil.

6. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Everyone keeps saying it was better than Spiderman. I may have to go see it just to see if it IS or not :p

7. Aaron-Wan-Kenobi

Aaron-Wan-Kenobi Temp CR Orange County, CA star 3 VIP

Dec 8, 2002
    Daredevil

Best Comic Book Movie EVER!

I took my esposa to see it on Friday for Valentines and my mom and sister to see it on saturday for valentines.

Better than x-men, spiderman, superman, batman, the crow, and any other superhero or comic film ever.

Way better than the Punisher with Dolph Lundgren.

8. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    I just saw last Friday's John Doe (taped it because I was watching Daredevil in the theaters). WOW! I mean, that's two shows now that have twisted the whole show around and killed a main character! First Alias, now Doe. What a month for shows! This whole new mindset which has come up about John being the 'pheonix' makes sense on some levels (thankfully to me because I went through and read a ton of posts on the JD message board). IT's going to be interesting to see where this goes. I'm not happy that they killed off the character (won't say her name). She had just returned from a long hiatus of being on the show, just to DIE! I bet John is crushed. I only hope this doesn't spread to his other friends like Frank. Even worse if they capture his recent girlfriend (from the plane episode) and do the same thing with her :( John would be devistated.

Barry, what'd you think of it?

9. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I loved it (well, until the girl died)! I love the show, I think it's great what they're doing. But I've heard that they plan to cancel the show :( That really sucks.

10. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Really? Where'd you hear that? There's no buzz about it on the show's message board....

11. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    I heard it on IRC (Internet Relay Chat). A very UNRELIABLE source. That's why I'm figuring it's not true.

12. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I heard it too...I think on tv though...or in EW?? I remembered you guys had talked about it but I hadn't seen the show yet...

Sometimes EW is wrong though...or things change...Could have sworn that I read Birds of Prey was to go off immediately and it finished up it's run instead....

13. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    Well, I don't see anything on the John Doe forums. If there was anything about it going off that they worried about, there'd be hundreds of posts. But there's not a word. I'm guessing then that the idea has been shot down? I'll hunt around.

14. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    Just wish I had half of John Doe's abilities -- betting at the racetrack; Lotto! :D

Watched the newest Farscape eps a friend tapes for me, and that show still rocks! I still hope some network would pick-up the series and keep it going.

Peace,
    Jim

15. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Not an actual review, but TV-related.
    Taken from TFN's main page:
    OMG!!!!

Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Announce Star Wars Animated Shorts
    Thursday February 20, 10:25 am ET

20 Animated "Clone Wars' Serial Shorts to Appear on Cartoon Network in 2003-2004

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 20, 2003--Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today a partnership to create Star Wars: Clone Wars, a series of 20 animated shorts that will air on Cartoon Network in 2003-2004 between other programming.

Star Wars: Clone Wars continues the saga where the live action feature film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones left off - at the beginning of the Clone Wars, an epic civil war that pits the old Republic against a vast separatist movement led by the forces of evil.

Each episodic short will be two- to three-minutes in length and will air exclusively on Cartoon Network at regularly scheduled times during the network's regular programming beginning later this fall. Clone Wars will be produced at Cartoon Network Studios by a team led by Genndy Tartakovsky, the creator of Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory.

As Clone Wars unfolds the valiant Jedi Knights lead the Republic's Clone Army against many new and ruthless adversaries across the galaxy. These new characters, epic battles and intricate stories will add an exciting new dimension to the Star Wars saga.

"We are incredibly excited to be working with Lucasfilm in creating an animated story that extends one of the world's most beloved entertainment properties," said Sam Register, senior vice president of development for Cartoon Network. "Cartoon Network's creative team will work hand-in-hand with Lucasfilm to make sure that our common vision for Clone Wars thrills Star Wars fans around the world."

"Genndy Tartakovsky and the team at Cartoon Network are tops in their field," said Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing. "Their work on Samurai Jack shows that they can tell an epic story in a unique way, lavishing equal attention on dramatic battle scenes as well as the dramatic development of the characters."

The only downside to this of course will be the eternal discussion of whether the cartoons are "canon" or not, *sighs*

16. Kaui-Gone-Jim

Kaui-Gone-Jim Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2002
    The 'Clone Wars' cartoon poster on SW.com looks cool!

Got the first DVD for 'Space 1999' series. Have not seen that show for many years. The moonbase design sure looks like it was copied from the layout of the moonbase depicted on the back of the "2001: A Space Odyssey" soundtrack LP, which I just compared it to.
    The look of the show holds up pretty well, actually. My favorite character was always that alien woman (Maya?) that could morph into a hawk or any other creature.

17. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Just wish I had half of John Doe's abilities -- betting at the racetrack; Lotto!

While the racetrack betting might be doable with his abilities, lotto numbers would be impossible. Remember, he doesn't know any future facts that haven't taken place yet. He could bet on the horses based on their health, previous winnings, etc. but it would still be a guess. He wouldn't have a clue which lotto numbers to pick though.

18. BobaFett-MP

May 13, 2001
    That's true. But, I'm sure he knows statistics of the most often numbers ;) Still a guess, but a knowlegdable one. He might be able to get a few.

19. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Ok I haven't seen a review for this one I think so here goes. My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
    We rented this movie this weekend and it was one of the funniest movies I have seen. My stepmother is greek and so I was able to relate it to a lot of the things she has told me of her family. It was very warm hearted, great storyline, very witty. I would say is a must see.

Also If you have seen this movie then tonight you'll enjoy a continuation of the movies in the TV series called My Big Fat Greek Life. This has the same cast except for the guy who married her in the movie. Other than that the rest of the family and everyone is intact. Tonight is the premier episode so I can't wait.

20. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I rented three movies this past weekend. The Good Girl, One Hour Photo, and The Bourne Identity.

The Good Girl with Jennifer Aniston & Jake Gyllenhaal. Set in a discount store where Jennifer works as one of the clerks there. She is unhappy with her life, job, marriage, etc. and the new employee (Jake) turns her world around. The movie was a lot darker than I expected. It's supposed to be a dark comedy, but to me it was mainly just dark and depressing. I did find some things amusing, mainly (John C. Reily)who played her husband, and (Zooey Deschanel) who played Cheryl, her co-worker that likes to make colorful announcements on the PA system. lol

One Hour Photo has Robin Williams in the creepiest role I have ever seen him in. He works in the Photo Lab at a "Walmart" type of store. He's pretty much a loner and has a fascination with a family that develops their film there. I don't want to say more plot wise but let me just say that by the end of the movie, he scared the hell out of me. It makes you want to buy a digital camera so you never have to have someone else develop your film again.

The Bourne Identity with Matt Damon is about a guy rescued from the water by a bunch of fisherman. He's been shot a couple times, but is still alive. The problem is he can't remember anything. Doesn't know who he is, what happened, who shot him, etc. One of the guys taking care of him on the boat digs out the bullets and finds something else implanted in him. Turns out to be a device that has info about a safe deposit box. He goes to find lots of money, many different passports (all with his pic in them), guns, etc. in it. Meanwhile he starts being chased by people he doesn't know/remember. Plenty of action. Kinda interesting. For the most part I enjoyed it but it's not one of the better action adventure/spy movies.

All in all I was expecting more based on what other people had told me, but I didn't hate any of the movies. I would say they were just good/fair.

Oh and I just had to mention that on my way to work today I actually saw a Pea Green VISTA CRUISER!! But Foreman and the gang weren't inside it! It must have been Peter Cottontail that I saw :p ;)

21. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Also....
    Last night Christopher Reeve was on Smallville. He played a scientist that was helping Clark find the answers he is looking for about his origins. It was so awesome to see the legendary original with the latest Clark Kent. I remember how much I use to love the Superman movies! What I'd really love is to see Gene Hackman do a cameo as perhaps Lex's Uncle? :p Not likely I know...But oh well...One can dream :)

22. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    It makes you want to buy a digital camera so you never have to have someone else develop your film again.

Robin Williams and his family own digital cameras for this exact reason. He said in an interview when he was talking about the movie that you just don't know what kind of people are developing your film and that's why his family had gone to using only digital cameras.

23. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    I really, really enjoyed 'One Hour Photo'. I left the theatre wondering whether Sal's motives were virtuous, or that of a madman. I believe that any movie that leaves you thinking about the charatcters/content of the film is a definite winner.

On a geeky, anime-related sidenote, I loved how the movie made a reference to 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' with the action figure the son in the movie coveted.

24. MALICE_MIZER

Jan 10, 2003
    Brace yourselves, folks: 'Daredevil' was a horrible movie. I really wanted to like this one, too. When I left the movie, I started to think of things that were good about the film first, before just tearing it apart. I found those good things in Colin Farrell's portrayal of Bullseye (especially his introduction in the pub), and any scene involving Matt Murdock's 'Radar Sense'. Plus, it?s always great to see Jon Favreau in a movie.
    Aside from those things, I thought the wrong director was picked for this movie. The use of cuts during most of the fight scenes was disorienting, and showed little action. The scenes that showed any fighting at all were obviously done with wires (Daredevil vs. Bullseye in the Cathedral). I thought that Kevin Smith, a renowned director and writer of the Daredevil comic who makes a cameo appearance, could have directed the movie masterfully. His sense of pacing during a film lacked in his movies like 'Clerks', for example, but he has developed since then, and could definitely have applied the directing style and pacing of say, 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' along with his knowledge and love of the Daredevil mythos, and created a superior film.
    I could not stand the music, either. The score itself I did not have a problem with, but practically every significant event in the movie was followed by some crappy hard/emo-rock song that made me wince every time. Cheesy.
    Though the original comic?s storyline remained completely intact, I found that none of the characters were developed all too well. While a film like ?Spider Man? devoted nearly half of its content to developing the lead and the villain, the Matt Murdock character becomes Daredevil in about the 1st 5-10 minutes of the movie, and I the viewer am never really clear as to why. I did not care whether Daredevil won, or lost. Scenes where Daredevil murders criminals in the name of justice did not generate the response that the film must have been expecting from me. There was just no consequence in this movie. Most of the on-screen violence I thought was gratuitous, and often a poorly placed attempt at humor, which ended up being in bad taste.
    Overall, I contemplated whether my ticket price was refundable or not about ½ way through the movie, but I ended up sticking around for the whole thing to give the poor Daredevil a chance. I only found myself wanting the movie to end.
    And lastly, what was with the Matt Murdock vs. Elektra brawl in the schoolyard? I mean, really....

25. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    "His sense of pacing during a film lacked in his movies like 'Clerks', for example, but he has developed since then, and could definitely have applied the directing style and pacing of say, 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back'"

Huh?? ?[face_plain] How the heck can you pace a movie that is set on ONE DAY in a convenience store any better then that?? I thought Clerks was genius. Jay & Silent Bob was entertaining to me because I love all viewaskew movies but clearly not one of his best.

Barry I am sure you watched Buffy as well last night. Wasn't it funny that they used the Andrew video documentary thing to bring people up to speed as to what this season is all about.... lol Weren't we just talking about the fact that this season is hard to follow for people not already fans/followers of the show & storyline. I thought that was too funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.