main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    exactlly, nolans batman trilogy is an 'Original Story' - but it very much borrows from esstablished storylines.

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Then the biggest questions that need answering are: how much does Arndt know about the EU? And if he does know and like any of it, what will he borrow and add to his original screenplay?

3. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Didn't the official site blog back on D-day saying he's been asked to supply all sort of EU material while GL was doing the treatments? I'm sure it will be the same for Arndt.

4. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    He'll probably draw on it for ideas and some of the more popular characters. If I was betting, I would say Mara and Ben are by far the most likely EU characters to appear in Episode VII, because Luke having a son (and therefore a wife) is basically a thematic imperative.

5. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree... with the Solo twins as also being pretty highly likely.

Furthermore the complications from her death at the hands of Jacen Solo (of all people) will probably mean that some of the things we've got in the current EU will probably be ejected or retconned. I will probably be rolling on the ground laughing at this... because well, for one thing, it really would effectively reduce Karen Traviss's contribution to Star Wars to just bits of the mandalorian culture and language. She's already had most of her stories severely retconned, so Sacrifice getting overwritten would just be true to form... XD

DarthBoba likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Mara was acting so dumb in KT's books that it was hard to believe it was the real Mara (and I hate Mara more than anyone), it was probably a clone.

7. LukeTano

LukeTano Jedi Master star 3

Jul 10, 2009
    What are the odds that Ahsoka or some other Jedi will make it through the purge? I mean, even Vader knew that Obi-wan was still alive, somewhere. Also, Vader might want a Jedi around, in case he could turn them against the Emperor and take over. I doubt he'd have told Sidious had Vader found out that Luke was his son before Sidious did.

Also, what are the odds that there will be any Darths at all? I mean, what if the Sith stay extinct and some new Dark Jedi Order begins? Also, what if the Order itself got into a schism this time and split the Republic and everything and it wasn't the Sith at all? If the Sith never came back, at least as the Sith, then the prophecy of the Chosen One would hold true.

On the other hand, pretty much every Star Wars fans associates Star Wars with a Darth somebody or other, and to get rid of the "Darth" altogether may well be a fatal move if they go that route.

However, any way to resurrect the Darth title without bringing back the Sith themselves would require at least SIX more episodes I think, not just three.

Don't delete this one.

8. LukeTano

Jul 10, 2009
    Oops, I multiple posted. How do i remove the duplicates?

9. LukeTano

Jul 10, 2009
    Why did it go so slow? Now I've got 4 of the same posts? It didn't seem like it was going through.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Have patience. :p I'll delete them.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "And sacrifice Han and Leia?!"

Sorry, couldn't help it.

krtmd, Pro Scoundrel and DarthBoba like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    You're assuming that Han, Leia & Luke will be the main characters, I think it's way more likely that they'll be support ala Obi-Wan & Yoda, who are main characters in the PT but are definitely supporting characters in the OT.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  13. startravellerearth

startravellerearth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2012
    They should add Ben, Jaina & Jacen as the new heroes! Jacen will later become Darth Caedus in other films and can be different from Anakin.

There has to be a romance Ben can go for including for Jaina.

14. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    The first time I found out about Episode VII possibly infringing in established EU I practically blew a gasket at what I originally perceived as an utter disrespect to the Expanded Universe and throwing out decades worth of established material.

Now...well, I'll still like it, but at the very least I'm hoping that some EU elements will be established and not infringe on it too much to properly be inserted in the EU. For the EU's part, I'm hoping that it can come up with retcons to properly explain stuff or inconsistencies.

15. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Bottom line is that the movies are were the money is and the general public is more familiar with the flicks, rather than it's spin off's.

16. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    It's inevitable to be sure, but in the larger picture, I have a feeling that somehow, some way, the greater EU will incorporate this new venture no problem.

That's the nature of the EU. Unless Lucasfilm puts a new policy that the Star Wars EU goes the way of the Star Trek EU.

17. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Don't you think it is the EU that is incorporated into anything as it is a spin off, of the movies?

18. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    For such a dense mythology, the EU extraordinarily flexible. But let's not kid ourselves, this is going to be too much for it to take. The problem is that too many major milestones have already been passed in the post-ROTJ era.

The films have to be the biggest event of the heroes' lives. And the heroes are almost certainly going to be the children of Luke and Leia. This is still the Skywalker Saga- we're not on spinoffs just yet. The hiring of Arndt, whose two major screenplays both revolve around families, basically confirms that.

kainee likes this.
  19. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    How do you know what they revolve around?

20. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    His two major screenplays to date: Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine.

21. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Tenuous.

22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    How is it tenuous at all? Toy Story 3 was a major blockbuster with rave reviews, and had a lot of dark moments in it. The major theme of the entire movie was passing on what you have to the next generation. Arndt is beyond the perfect choice for this movie.

"Pass on what you have learned.." - Yoda.

kainee likes this.
  23. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    What part's tenuous?

24. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    If Jania is in the new movies, i'd be surprised if they don't put Jagged Felin there, I think he's a fan favorite.

Also, Ben has a romance in the EU too, though she isn't as known. Could she work? Vestara Khai

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I honestly think it'll be Jania and that's it. No mention of Jacen (which will work cuz he's dead by that point, which I'm assuming will be post Darth Cadeus) and no mention of Ben or Mara. Then we'll get a death of Ben Skywalker book. On the off-off chance that Ben will be in there, they might toss in Mara. At which point we get a "resurrection of Mara Jade" book!

As mentioned, the EU isn't the type to throw out chunks of continuity. It's mode since post-TPM has been retcon, retcon, retcon. So they'll do that. A lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.