main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You can click the "Official Info" prefix to find every thread created for a verified piece of news. In addition, every official info thread has been indexed in the... well, index. I'd imagine down the road we'll look into creating a non-repliable sticky of known information, but right now it's so sparse it'd consist of two details, of which one is the excruciatingly vague "Original story" line from an insider.

2. Luisiana Jones

Luisiana Jones Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012
    This is just incredible, i find it awesome that they give the EU the credit that it deserves.

Regards,

LJ

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think this, like most things George has said recently, is open to interpretation. People hear what they want to hear. "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

kainee likes this.
  4. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Agreed. He's essentially telling the writers to come to him with questions, and that they can disregard the EU reference material.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Is that supposed to be Admiral Ackbar's grandson on the cover?:rolleyes:

6. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    I find that to be a bit of a stretch,. I mean, sure, human lifespan varies in the SW universe, but, talking about a great-granddaughter, Allana is their granddaughter, and Jaina has had no kids yet, AFAIK.

still, is that Jagged Fel?

7. GodAtum

GodAtum Jedi Master

May 13, 2005
    If books and plot sequels have already been made after VI how are Disney going to make a new one? It;ll be like that awful Star trek movie all over again!

8. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I took it like this "Oh yeah I spose they could look at Wookiepedia or something, but you know I make it up as I go along so really Star Wars is whatever I say it is"

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    George Lucas created Star Wars. He is the definitive encyclopedia.

kainee likes this.
  10. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Yeah encyclopaedia's not Thrawn, space sloths and the like!

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he didn't.

Again, no, he didn't.

This thread is very misleading with the current title, and unfortunately this misinformation is already taking its effect as seen by these comments below:

Krueger likes this.
  12. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Um, yeah he did. See the evidence.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Most humans stay active until 120, and can live until 200, sometimes even longer, in the GFFA.

I don't think that's Jag, unless it's turned out he's been Asian this entire time.

15. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Wow. Talk about putting words into George's mouth. When you list somebody by name and use a colon to set up essentially a quote and write in the first person you are implying that what you've written is what Lucas said. Many people read this article yesterday under a subject line of him acknowledging he had very little to do.

A misleading title leads to misinformation and the next thing you know people are wondering whether this means Thrawn is in because some people don't click on the actual link. Yours wasn't THAT bad but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come on the board.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he didn't. And you are the one with the burden of proof.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  17. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It's also a reach because G-Walt is clearly saying that, by and large, the LFL/Disney team will not be needing him as much as one assumes because they themselves have a bunch of established materials to fall back on; the leap is then made to him specifically referring to the Essential Guides. Yes, it's a common sense place to go in our heads based on what he said, but does that then mean that the EU-enthusiasts (of which I've long counted myself as one) will get what they want?

But for the sake of discussion, let's just say that it wasn't a reach; I'd then like to add that LFL has been using the Essential Guides and other materials as reference on The Clone Wars and that doesn't automatically mean that the EU is held up to film-canon standards. As an instance: the story arc last year with Obi-Wan going undercover as Rako Hardeen showed characters using a starship that looked like the one Lando would later use in the EU, the Lady Luck, but does the inclusion of a ship that looks like the Lady Luck then mean that the Lady Luck itself was real and that Lando used it in adventures following Return of the Jedi, or does it just mean that people in the SW universe actually use this class of starship? Generally speaking, it's far safer to assume the latter rather than the former. As I've said in the past, expect elements from the EU, certainly, maybe even important ones, and they may indeed be something like what the EU has made them out to be; but don't expect them to be exactly like that. They will be what the films will need them to be in order to work, neither more nor less.

leiamoody likes this.
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Threadmerge

19. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    give it up. I don't say this out of wanting to stifle conversation, but you'll get a concrete block to move first.

Esg likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd much rather have something that's original than something that's an adaptation of an existing source when it comes to Star Wars.

leiamoody, Saurion-Fett and Krueger like this.
  21. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Why is Zooey Deschanel in this comic???

Count Yubnub likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No, it's Ken Watanabe!

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Thread mergin'.

24. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Or maybe he looked in Lit where it's been a topic since yesterday.

25. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    Simply because new comics and a book set in that same time period will get released next year DOES NOT mean that the EU post ROTJ is somehow saved. George Lucas said that basically he was the source of info for the Star Wars movies, and that the EU went after him. Many of these books have been in the works for months, and they probably accepted the release of them as a final piece of work before their contracts expire. It's still very plausible to think that those stories set in that time period will get sent into an alternative timeline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.