main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Official Sequel Trilogy - Let the Wild Speculation Begin!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Merkurian , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012

I think it's ok to let some Sith spirit act as a mentor to lure someone into the Darkness and train them, but not as the powerful enemy themselves.

2. IsoBanValian

IsoBanValian Jedi Padawan star 1

May 5, 2004
    I'm sort of hoping that the Sith aren't involved at all.

The story doesn't really have to be about Jedi vs. Sith. Or even the Jedi vs. Anybody. I'd love to see the tale of the Jedi sort of as a side theme to whatever the main conflict is.

We don't really need the Empire anymore...but what we do have is a big galaxy which has had the Empire stomping down on thousands of planets for a long time. Now that the Empire has been thrown down, the Republic will undoubtably rebuild itself...but what about the far reaches of the galaxy? A tremendous power vacuum will exist...just ripe for exploitation by local warlords and despots.

Maybe Luke has trained a couple of students at this point...and now these new Jedi's adventure are set amid the backdrop of warring factions in the Outer Rim. I'm really hoping we don't see an EU style structure to what Luke's Jedi will become. It always struck me as....less than realistic. Jedi should be patient...not trying to fill the temple in a single generation. I can imagine that a wiser Luke would nurture only one or two students...who aren't burdened with the baggage of what the Jedi used to be. Luke would want the Jedi to focus on the quality of their knights, not their quantity. Maybe these Jedi are true nomads...wandering the galaxy behind the scenes rather than answering to any actual government. They answer to the Force alone. Being the guardians of peace and justice doesn't mean you're in the employ of a government...especially since the fall of the Old Republic taught Luke that occasionally the government is the problem.

But let's say Luke has trained these two students...and one loses his way. Not a Sith...but a confused young Jedi..not fully trained...who has let his fears and his desire for more power get the better of him. He hires himself out to a powerful warlord with fleets of starships and private armies. With a failed Jedi as your private general, you could do some serious damage to your competition. And the fledgling Republic would be too weak to reach all the way out to the Outer Rim to try and stabilize the problem. Maybe the Republic's leader (Lando? Leia?) reaches out to old Master Skywalker for help.

Maybe Luke has, ironically, set up a small farmstead somewhere....sort of a self imposed exile/ retirement like Yoda on Dagobah. A messenger is sent to find him there...only to discover that the old Jedi Master is gone...missing for some time apparently. This sets up a good question for the trilogy: Where is Luke Skywalker? In the abandoned old farmhouse, the messenger discovers finds a clue that leads her to Luke's last apprentice....setting the ball rolling for the adventure. (edit: Maybe she even finds a certain powered down little R2 unit in a corner gathering dust...but in his databanks are some clues that might lead to Master Skywalker?)

....sigh....I still can't believe we're going to see an all new Star Wars flick.

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I not only want the Sith to be involved, but I want an entire Sith ARMY!

IsoBanValian likes this.
  4. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    I understand where you're coming from. But I gotta say...I think that's pretty unlikely. :) From a storytelling point of view, I think it just goes over too much old ground. So much more interesting to find new threats to the galaxy. :)

5. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Too much old ground how? We've never seen a Sith army...

6. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    The movies have established there can be only 2. While the idea of multiple Sith or Dark Jedi have been entertained in the EU, I just don't think they'll go in that direction. Could make for some interesting plot lines though.

IsoBanValian likes this.
  7. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    I mean dealing with the Sith at all. What I'm hoping for most is that Star Wars is going to open up now...not be so restricted to the endless EU timelines and strictures. The thing is, the whole Jedi vs. Sith in an eternal battle of good against evil is...predictable. And at this point, because this is post-ROTJ, anything they do to bring the Sith back into it is going to seem pretty cheesy and sort of a cop out. The Sith ended with the Emperor. People are too accustomed to the EU novels in which, like Marvel comics, nothing ever really goes away and all the same tropes can always be brought back up when we need something for the heroes to do. The Emperor's dead? Oh, no...he had clone bodies. Or he's possessing a character. And the Empire is still around here and there. And there are other very Sith-like warriors...we'll use them. Oh and there are still a few Sith around. See? It kills all the excitement and gives us what we think we want: more chances for lightsaber battles. Let the Sith rest in peace (pieces?).

The best thing Disney can do now is not play it "safe" (aka the EU), but take a chance and take the universe in a new direction that keeps the themes fresh and exciting. They need to tell a great adventure story and not show us what we've all seen a hundred times before. New things told by great storytellers won't just be fan wish fulfillment...it stands a chance of taking our breath away again and sweeping us off our feet. :)

DarthKreVass likes this.
  8. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I like the Sith being in small number just to show how disloyal they are to each other.

9. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    The FEW Sith we have seen... yes... but that doesn't mean they can't change based on past Sith failures. Adapt or die.

10. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    They died in ROTJ. Of course it's always possible to bring Sith back for the ST so who knows.

11. JarJarBiafra

JarJarBiafra Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    Episode VII: All black cast directed by Tyler Perry.[face_flag]

12. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    The only aspect that offends me is the notion that Tyler Perry could or rather should direct anything.

IsoBanValian likes this.
  13. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... as long as there is light, there is darkness, as long as there are Jedi, there are Sith. It's what I believe! ;)

14. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    He's too busy in his duties as the commandant of Starfleet Academy.

Darthsuggs likes this.
  15. Darthsuggs

Jul 28, 2003
    I'm sure there will be some Sith Lords despite balance being brought to the force. You can kill people but you can't kill an idea or an abstract.

16. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I hope it's wall-to-wall Sith. Like "Legacy". SW is totally about Jedi Vs. Sith.

17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    It just occurred to me that we've never really been this much in the dark before. Before making the prequels, Lucas talked quite a bit about what the story would basically be. However, at this point for these movies, we have literally no idea what to expect. Sure there is some info that can be assumed or extrapolated but nobody knows jack for sure. We can't even agree as to when these films should take place, whether they will have any of the same characters, whether these are the final three films in a trilogy of trilogies or the beginning of an ongoing continuation, etc. I know what I strongly hope and suspect the answer to these questions are, but I wonder how long it will be before Lucas, Kennedy or anyone else gives us anything at all to go on. I honestly think it would be very helpful in a PR sense to be very upfront about the specifics of these plans so that fans can manage their expectations accordingly, without being too specific about the plot of course.

JainaSoloYJK and darklordoftech like this.
  18. Dunedain1

Dunedain1 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    It makes sense that there would still be an ongoing fight with Imperial Remnant forces (who aren't ready to just toss down their weapons because the Rebels say so) after the destruction of the second Death Star, as they they try to maintain the Empire and retain control over sectors where they have a solid grasp. The Thrawn stuff would be ridiculous, Imperial forces aren't ever going to answer to any alien, would make no sense at all, so it's good they are going with an original story line and not EU. The Empire has many many fine and capable officers and governors to lead their men, and very large armies and the mighty Imperial Fleet, and they would be eager to crush any effort to fully re-establish the Republic.

There are lots of story possibilities there, and certainly Luke would be working on rebuilding the Jedi Order, and it would be cool if he was heavily involved, back in action wielding a lightsaber (but only if it's Hamill). :)

19. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    I know!!!! Its awesome!!!

"So that the fans can manage their expectations???" lol that's just another way of saying "No...seriously...we really, really can't wait!" I plan to enjoy the time in the dark...wondering about what's to come. The internet has made everybody too accustomed to omniscience and instant gratification! I think a lot of the reaction I've seen to the new Trilogy is a fan base that is terrified of introducing new into their world. And this is a hugely cynical time we're living in...in which its so easy for us to default to the assumption that anything new is going to suck. :)

As much as I want to see the concept art, the spoilers, the glimpses...a big part of me wants to walk into the theater as a blank slate. Not having the slightest clue what I'm about to see. The more I "know" going in, the more my expectations will "manage" themselves into preconceptions and prejudice...rather than being there in the theater just letting it unfold.

All our life we look away to the future, to the horizon...never our mind and where we wuz, hm? ;)

20. IsoBanValian

May 5, 2004
    I really, really doubt they will do anything as certain to enrage the fans as recasting anybody, let alone Luke.

As far as Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order, sure. But I just hope he's doing it one Jedi at a time. I really want to see Hamill as wise mentor Luke Skywalker who is taking some young Jedi through his paces like Yoda did with Luke in Empire. I'm praying we don't have Jedi classes with Jedi younglings in a Jedi temple with Jedi Lightsabers everywhere.

21. Dunedain1

Oct 4, 2003
    It's always that way for me, I never read spoilers before a new Star Wars movie comes out, I don't even watch the tv commercials when the movie is coming to theaters soon. For Episode 1, for example, I had heard that Liam Neeson would be in it (a good thing) and also that Natalie Portman was in it, and that's about it... My reward was having no idea what was about to happen next in the theater. :)

I remember how surprised I was when Darth Maul activated both blades on his lightsaber in the palace when the door opened and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were there. A dual-bladed lightsaber?!... :)

And it was the same way for Episodes II and III, and it's going to be the same for the sequel trilogy. :)

Darthgoodguy and IsoBanValian like this.
  22. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited and actually became quite optimistic after getting over my initial shock. I'm not saying people should have to manage their expectations about the quality of what they're going to see, but the less they know the more they start to assume only to be let down if it turns out to be something different that what they were hoping for. I don't want to know the whole story going in (although theres every chance I won't be able to stop myself from spoiling it once again, but that's another matter). I just think it would be beneficial for them to be a little more clear about their plan for how these movies and the ones that are to follow will relate to the current saga, that's all.

IsoBanValian likes this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004

Wow, you didn't even watch the trailers? That’s quite impressive. I can't say I've got that much discipline, but I will definitely try to remain as "blind" as possible.

24. Dunedain1

Oct 4, 2003
    IsoBanValian: I agree, there should be at most a few new students that Luke may have been able to find, perhaps with help from Obi-Wan. It would take a long time to get the Jedi Order anywhere near back to where things were in the prequels. In the mean time, Luke would be the one the New Republic turns to when they need special help on a dangerous mission and so on.

Krueger: It was hard sometimes, very tempting, but I was determined to not spoil any surprises when I went on opening night. :)

25. Darth_HatesEU

Darth_HatesEU Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2003
    Good to be back from the dead... (since the stupid blu-ray Yoda web pic).

Anyway my predictions for Ep7...

* Mark Hamill will be back. Carrie possibly. Ford not so much. Luke will be the main hero - no youngens!!!!
    * Main villains either Thrawn/Pellaeon/C'Baoth, or all three. I know they won't adapt Heir To The Empire verbatim (given Mark's etc age), but they can still use elements of the story. They did already use Coruscant after all. I doubt they would go down the whole Sith path again. Military geniuses and insane clone dark Jedi fit the bill nicely. No reason it can't be set later to account for Mark's age.
    * I still hate the EU overall. Happy to see it trashed.