main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official X-Box Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DUM4, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    I figured since there's a GCN thread, the X-Box deserves one too.

Who else has one already, and what games do you have? I picked mine up the 15th when WM opened, and since then have bought 7 games.

Halo
    Amped
    THPS 2X
    Madden 2002
    DOA 3
    Project Gotham Racing
    SW: Starfighter SE

Also, has anyone played Halo or THPS2X using Gamespy Tunnel? I have everything set up but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

2. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    Blah x-box sucks the fatty. Get ps2.

3. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    1. No Halo
    2. Puny Controllers
    3. No Halo
    4. No HD
    5. No Halo
    6. Only 2 Controller Ports
    7. No Halo

4. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    If I had more money, I would get it right now. I need Halo nowish, not in a year. =\ And DOA3, Starfighter, and Gotham Racing.

5. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    I also love how some games allow you to rip songs off of CDs onto your HD and use them as a soundtrack. I don't have to worry about ever getting memory cards either. :)

6. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I will get one in March, or whenever they release them over here in Europe. I could get an import Xbox, but that would cost me close to $650... Not ever going to pay that, so I guess I'll just have to wait for the official Europe release... *sigh*

7. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I dont have one :cry

8. JediJared

JediJared Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2000
    I've had the Xbox since the 15th, it rocks. I beat Halo the other night and started it over again.

Amped is fun, especially with your own music.

Oddworld looks great, but gets boring when playing for a long time.

I will be picking up Starfighter this weekend.

9. Evan-Xun

Evan-Xun Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2000
    Ok.

First off...Halo rocks in multiplayer(provided you have a fast connection). 56K guys, you're out of luck.

NFL Fever rocks.

StarWars StarFighter sucks a big one. It's identical to the PS2 version, and I'm not about to replay the game just so I can get more multiplayer maps.

The DVD player and audio output is superior to the one in the PS2(I have a PS2 and Xbox and did a non-scientific comparision).

There looks to be plenty of kick ass titles on the horizon so I'm feeling better about my purchase of an Xbox. Comparatively, last year when I picked up my PS2 I was pissed that there were no good games for 6 months. :)

10. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Piece'o'crap. I defended that system for too long. I went out and bought it w/ DOA3, Halo, Project Gotham and Munch. All I have to say is that I sold it after a week. DOA3...same damn thing, it will never change. Halo is by far one of the most mediocre FPS games i've ever played. Aliens Vs. Predator 2 and Castle Wolfenstein kick it's ass 10 fold. Project Gotham Racing = Metropolis Street Racer w/ better graphics. Munch is the only game worthwhile on it...*sigh* i sold my x box and upgraded my PC and bought a load of PC games instead lol...but HEY if you like it! that's your thing!

11. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    iwill admit i really want to play Halo

12. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Have Halo, DOA3 and Oddworld. Will be picking up Nightcaster and Azurik soon.

Games I'm looking forward to in the near future:

Kakuto Chojin

Wreckless: [image=http://xboxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/wreckless/xwreck6.jpg/image.jpg] Enclave: [image=http://xboxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/enclave/bg38.jpg/image.jpg]
    Gunmetal: [image=http://xboxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/gunmetal/gunmetallic7.jpg/image.jpg] Hunter: The Reckoning: [image=http://xboxmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/hunter/hunter_new_3.jpg/image.jpg]

But the Major games I'm looking forward to are:

Morrowind, Project Ego Console RPG's will never be the same once these hit. :D

Grand Theft Auto 3
    Gunvalkerie
    Brute Force
    Call Of Cthulhu
    Unreal Championship
    Maximum Force
    Bounty Hunter
    Warzone Online
    Dominion
    Bloodwake

13. Theedage

Nov 15, 2001
    They've already changed. Note: MGS2

14. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
  15. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    MGS2 is a RPG????

16. Theedage

Nov 15, 2001
    MGS2 -> Metal Gear Solid 2

17. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    This is getting even more confusing.

18. Tana_the_Jedi

Tana_the_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2001
    PC will always be dominant... but video games are fun... but X-Box controllers are too big for my little hands.

19. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    And the X-Box Console is too big for my house!

Why so big?

20. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>And the X-Box Console is too big for my house!<<<

Thats depressing, I had no idea you lived in a cardboard box. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

21. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Big = more goodies inside. ;)

22. Katarn15

Katarn15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2001
    I am personaly loking foreward to Obi-Wan which comes out nxt week. My mom got me one on the 15th, but i gotta wait till christmas to play it. It'll definitly be worth it though.

23. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    If my parents get me this for Christmas, I think Obi-Wan will be my number two game NOT to buy, right behind that lame-ass fighting game IGN gave a 2.0. [face_laugh]

24. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    LOL! [face_laugh] Kabuki Warriors is Microsofts Superman64. :eek:

25. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I wrote this review of Halo up for a couple other boards I go to, so I figured I'd might as well post it here.

Story
    The basic story is that the human race is in a war with a species known as the Covenant. From what I can see, it's a pretty close war, but the Covenant have the upper hand in technology. So there's this huge ass battle, and your ship, the Pillar of Autumn, is the only one that survives. So, for some crazy reason, they decide to do a blind hyperspace jump of doom to a random location far away from Earth. They arrive at an alien world. I forget its name, but in its orbit is Halo. The game is about you, some super high techprototype thing, getting info about Halo and then destroying it when you figure out its purpose is to destroy all living things (or something like that).

Weapons
    I'll go through the guns next. There weren't too many, and there wasn't much of a variety, and they were all seen millions of times in this genre. But I didn't think much of that while playing, because they're hella fun to use.

Human weapons:
    • pistol

• machine gun

• shotgun

• rocket launcher

• sniper rifle

• grenade

Alien Weapons:
    • alien plasma pistol

• alien plasma machine gun

• needler (the only half way original gun in here, it shoots homing purple things kind of the speed of the repeater in JK)

• plasma grenade

I found the shotgun and sniper rifle to be the most fun to use. The grenades are awesome, too. I like the fact that of an enemy drops a grenade or two, and then you throw a grenade where he was, there will be multiple explosions because of the ones he dropped. Carnage, hehe. I love the way enemies fly when you hit them with some high impact weapon.

Sound--10/10
    Damn. This is some good ****! The voice acting is extremely well done, and the noices from aliens, vehicles, and guns are awesome. Not to mention that the soundtrack should probably be on sale because it's so good.

Graphics-9/10
    Beautiful. The gun models are great. The worlds look very real. The people look very real. The vehicles look even better. There's not much I can say here without you seeing it for yourself.

The engine they used for this game is revolutionary, I think. Not only does it allow you to have beautifully textured inside areas, but you also have vast, sprawling landscapes (the beach mission comes to mind--that is a treat), not to mention the ability to drive vehicles. Another awesome thing about the engine is that it only requires you to load once per each of the ten enormous levels (enormous could be an understatement here). Unlike some games on the PS2 where you have a two second load time every time you enter a room (*cough*FFX*cough*), you load once per level, and then perhaps a quarter of a second load time three more times throughout the level... you barely notice it.

My only gripe is that the game isn't 60 fps, it's more like 30. And even though that's still good, I kind of expect my $300 hardware to be able to pull it off. And what's worse is that there's a pretty good deal of slowdown when there's a lot going on. Oh well, the graphics are awesome anyway. And gameplay is what counts, right?

Gameplay--10/10
    Once again, awesome. Controllers will never be as good as a keyboard/mouse combo, but Halo is about as good as you can get. You use the left stick for moving and strafing, and the right for pitch and turning. Works very well. I was surprised at how well the Xbox controller is suited for FPSs (which is good, looking at their lineup... Brute Force... yummy). Anyway, the control is nice and tight.

Another intriguing aspect of the game is the teamwork involved. Your marines will follow you around courageously (and often times show a comedic amount of bravado, saying things like, "You're stealing all of my kills!" or, "There's more of where that can from!" when you kill the baddie... they have some other funny lines like "Kickass!" if you send seven or s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.