main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oldbies suggestions

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Jedi_Benji, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Ive been reading few a few 'im new' threads and i am kinda worried about how much people care about what they post, for instance most welcome posts go somethin like this;

'Hey welcome to the forums [insert name here]. Im sure you will enjoy your stay here and if you have any troubles feel free to PM me'

I was just suggesting that maybe you should put some variation into your posts or even PM a welcome and ask about where they are from and how they heard about this etc. I know that if i recieved a PM in my first few weeks i would have been over the moon.

Feel free to post your thoughts.

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I think that some people really are 'post bots' when it comes to posting welcomes (I'm not sure who said that first, it's in a thread somewhere ...). Anyway, yeah I think there should be a little variation in the posts ... I try to do that sometimes, like post that line then something else as well.

3. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    I try to post a little something extra but sometimes I just can't think of anything.

4. Skimaniac87

Skimaniac87 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 21, 2002
    Same here, however I do know how you feel Jedi_Benji, when you say a little extra more what do you mean by EXTRA? I mean I know you pointed a few up there but what do you really want to start see being posted?

5. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    JB...you bring a valid point...I come here every so often, and when I decide to welcome a newbie, I will incorporate different things/questions into my welcome post...now, I will say that my welcome posts are all based off of the same thing, but like you said, a generic welcome is not so pleasant...all of the time. :D

6. amaunet

amaunet Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Hmm...post variations: I try to do that when i am awake enough to think past the normal.

Pm them: already do that to some if not most of the newbies I post a welcome to

:)

7. Lord-of-the-Marks

Lord-of-the-Marks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    If this isn't the forgotten section of the boards, I don't know what is. There are plenty of people who don't post anything here, robotic or otherwise. I think you're right though...
    It's also up to the individual to decide if they want to take someone up on their offer to PM. I have and I appreciate the opportunity.

8. Skimaniac87

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree ;) I try to send some of the newbies PM's but there are too many to do it all by yourself wouldn't you agree Jedi_Benji? You make a valid point ;)

9. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I've noticed it too. It's just the same few people posting the same thing over and over. Either they're trying to up their post count, or they're trying to become mods. :p

10. JediDBM

JediDBM Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2003
    Jedi-Benji, hi, you all know me as a farely new "Newbie", may I offer a thought? The JC welcome boards are one of the best features of this site, I have been to three other Star Wars oriented sites that have message boards or forums, or however you would like to describe the boards. This is the only site where I have been personally welcomed by so many people, it is wonderful to receive such a warm feeling from people all over the world, so much that I now watch the "Hi I am New" posts and join everybody in welcoming the new person. I didnt feel over whelmed by the offer for all of the PMs, it kind of made me feel comfortable that if I do run into a problem there are plenty of people I can turn to, but I do agree with something you said, and that is we do need to mix up our greetings a little in the sense that I did get the almost the same type of greeting from 15 different people, not complaining at all, but it was repetitive. And thank you to all of you for the very warm welcome I received from almost everyone of you here on this thread.

11. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I completely agree to JediDBM!

When I was very new to this site I loved to see the many offers to send a PM. :)
    But I saw also that nearly the complete text, that is written in my "Hi, I am new" Thread, was written in some other Threads some minutes before... I began to think about that...

So, I try as much as I can to write a personally welcome.
    I am sorry, that I am not able to do that every time, but I give my best!

And writing a PM to newbies seems to be a good idea (if not everone writes to every newbie). ;)

12. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Read YodaJeff's welcomes. They are always identical! Don't forget, it's the thought that counts. 8-}

13. Skimaniac87

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree with JediDBM ;)

14. JediDBM

Jan 22, 2003
    You are right, it is the thought that counts, AND I dont think we need to start pointing fingers at each other either. I dont think that was the intent of this thread.

15. Skimaniac87

Nov 21, 2002
    No I don't either.. you start pointing fingers at others and threads will become locked and friends will be lost, this is simply a thread to express your thoughts.

16. JediDBM

Jan 22, 2003
    I agree Skimaniac87, What we write here is seen by all of the other newbies, so make it posetive.

17. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    A very good point, Jedi_Benji. :) I've thought about starting a thread like this myself a while ago, but didn't get the chance to do so.

I do have a few suggestions, but I'm ill, so you'll have to wait a day or two.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate if everyone posted their opinions/ideas on this subject. :) I'm very interested to hear what you think we can do to make the Welcome Forum a better place.
    Don't be shy, I won't lock this thread for "negative posts", as long as you stay on topic. ;) But no pointing fingers at others, please.

Now please excuse me, I need to go back to bed. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. :)

18. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    You definitely make some valid points, Jedi_Benji. And postive dialogue/exchange of ideas that has taken place thus far in this thread is awesome. :D

In regards to the issue of keeping one?s posts in intro/welcome threads "fresh" and unique, I totally agree with you, Jedi_Benji. :)

Also, I do think that Skiara raises an important point. ;) In some cases though, especially if the newbie has posted very little in the initial post of their intro/welcome thread, it is difficult to say much more than the stereotypical post that you?ve highlighted, as they haven?t really told us about themselves or their interests. :(

Also, sending PMs to some newbies in their first few days is a notable idea too. But there are a whole host of variables that one has to consider. Specifically, where one newbie may really appreciate a personalized welcoming PM, another newbie may not, especially if they?re a more private person or from a different culture, etc. Also, when one sends personalized welcoming PM, one has to be mindful not to be too intrusive or overbearing, as we don?t want to scare people away from the JC. [face_shocked] But I do think Skiara makes a good suggestion, in that at least one of us should try to send a personalized welcoming PM to a newbie on occasion, so that all newbie are covered. I myself, would be more than willing to do this with Canadian newbie, as it offers a sound opportunity to recruit for FF Canada. ;)

Lastly, I concur with Jedi_Learner: it is the thought that counts most. And this is what is nice about welcoming a newbie to feel free to send you a PM in their intro/welcome thread: because you?re essentially offering to be there for them, but you?re also not ?up in their face.? It really is a happy medium, IMHO. :) And it also is a significant gesture as well, as not everyone who posts in intro/welcome threads puts forth this offer. ;)

19. Skimaniac87

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes MASTER_OBI-DAN, I agree ;) Jedi_Benji did make some valid points.

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    But there will be one problem, Dan. What's about the many newbies who do not say from where they are (neither in their post nor in their profile)? ?[face_plain]

IMHO there are many who don't say that.

21. Skimaniac87

Nov 21, 2002
    Good Question.

22. JediDBM

Jan 22, 2003
    This is a very difficult topic to try to work on, What we say here makes the first impressions for almost every newcomer. And possibly influences them on their behavior when they come to the JC. (Hopefully in a positive way) First impressions are so important.
    I think probably because I have been to a number of different forums on the net, I blew right past the welcome and went straight to what I was looking for. I admit, it took me a week to make it to the Welcome boards. Too bad for me, I have had the most fun here in this area in the last three days than I have any where else. Those who have been here a while, are the ones who need to set the standards for everyone else, and I am not passing the buck here, because I would like to think I am setting a positive example with my posts as well. My opinion everybody has done a great job, I have yet to come across a "bad" post, but then I have only been here for three days or so(this area). The only REAL constructive criticism I can offer is exactly what everybody else has said here, Try posting different greetings to newbies, be a little more personal, ask them where they are from or (positively) comment about their screen name. Something more than just a generic hello. And also, lets try not to belittle others with our comments. Hasnt happened here, but on other forums, I was made to feel really stupid by others for asking questions, when everybody else already knew the answer and got impatient with me because I was new.

23. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Skiara: ?But there will be one problem, Dan. What's about the many newbies who do not say from where they are (neither in their post nor in their profile)??

No, I agree, Skiara. :) I only meant that as an example for illustrative purposes. I, being a Canadian, would just be more inclined to PM Canadian newbies because we live in the same country and because this is a unique bond that we share. :) Also, I could PM you, as I absolutely love German culture, I study German history and I think all German women are hot. [face_love]

But it?s in no way restricted to just nationality. If a newbie states that they are a big fan of Qui-Gon Jinn and you (an oldbie happen to be one too), that?s a another example of a bond that you may share and it provides for an excellent ?in? or ?icebreaker? with that person: something that you can build upon. ;)

[b]JediDBM[/b]: ?[i]Too bad for me, I have had the most fun here in this area in the last three days than I have any where else?.My opinion everybody has done a great job, I have yet to come across a "bad" post, but then I have only been here for three days or so(this area).[/i]?

I could not agree with you more, [b]JediDBM[/b]! [face_wink] The big reason why I love posting and hanging out in the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10181][b]WNU[/b][/link] is because of its great dynamic and because of the effusive positivity that just seems to ooze from it. [face_happy]

24. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I agree to both! :)

Ah... now I understand what you mean, Dan! :) And I think it is an excellent idea! :)

Should we do that (what you suggested, Dan)? ?[face_plain]

Ehm... may be I am a bit too enthusiastic and Morgaine should say something about that... sorry, if I am a bit too enthusiastic. [face_blush]

25. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    MASTER_OBI-DAN: In some cases though, especially if the newbie has posted very little in the initial post of their intro/welcome thread, it is difficult to say much more than the stereotypical post that you?ve highlighted, as they haven?t really told us about themselves or their interests.

I know I do my best to include some response to whatever the information that a newbie gives in regards to themselves, their interests, etc., but there are some newbies who just post "Hi, I'm new!" so all I can really do is post a welcoming message to them, and see if they have anything more to say once they've been greeted.

On the subject of Private Messages: I think that one of the things that people can do if they are including the message to Private Message them in their welcome is to at least include a link to their user name. I've noticed in the time that I've spent welcoming people that I've gotten more Private Messages from newbies when I put a link to my name in my welcome than if I just said they could send me a Private Message. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.