main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oldbies suggestions

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Jedi_Benji, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Why can't you type anymore?
    Too many edits... ;) :p

Ok... back to topic... but I don't know at the moment what I could add to the posts above. ;)

2. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    well i must say most people arent really paying any attention to this thread and continue to post the same robotic welcome over and over and over... Id like to say if you see some person posting the same welcome message at lease, id say, 3 times, send em a pm letting them know about this thread, nothing harsh just a suggestion, maybe they might start to vary their posts, i know im makin my welcome posts more radical.

3. Skimaniac87

Skimaniac87 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 21, 2002
    I must say that I am trying to, at least I'm making my replies a little longer. What would you really suggest we try to post in our replies Jedi_Benji?

4. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    think of the most ordinary thing you could post, and do the opposite, insted of welcoming by saying 'welcome to the forums' make a joke at another replier, somethin different

5. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I will try Jedi_Benji. [face_mischief]

6. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    im not forcin, just suggesting, and dont forget

Do or Do not, there is no Try

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Someone suggested to link to a usefull thread or board.

IMHO that is a very good idea! :)
    Perhaps you can see by reading the newbies post or profile what thread/board could be helpfull for him. ;)

8. Jedi_jem

Jedi_jem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    I agree with Skiara on this one, alot of them sometimes post what they like in their first post. So, finding a thread/better related to that would be good and might help them to get to know the forums better.

9. WhiteHorse

WhiteHorse Jedi Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    * talks from inside the hole *
    Well, what about those that started on these forums directly inside their FF, like it happen to me?

The CR's could promote on their local FF the use of other forums outside the FF. Stimulating their users to get out of their "egg shell". This could also be made by General Managers and Administrators visiting other FF's, so that those users familiarize them selfs with those VIP's.

Another thing that others could do to create a bigger cultural exchange (and also promote the practise of using other forums) is creating a "Tourist and Visitors" welcoming topic inside their FF's. Like the one i just created on FF Portugal. Btw, you are welcome to visit us :D and post there :)

What do the other oldbies/midbies/newbies think of this?

10. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    it would be pretty interesting, but i must say after the welcome thread most newbies go for the movie board, wether it be ep III (non spoilers of corse ;) ) or the Aotc, TPM or even classic one. Its not really til later that they look at the JCC, FFC or some of the other options we present for them.

11. Skimaniac87

Nov 21, 2002
    think of the most ordinary thing you could post, and do the opposite, insted of welcoming by saying 'welcome to the forums' make a joke at another replier, somethin different

I see where you're coming from, I try to do that as much as I can ;) Glad to hear more suggestions :)

12. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    Well i still think that some users registered directly at their local FF boards, due to direct links given by their friends that were already users of the FF. So those newbies and midbies, never got to pass trought the "welcome new users" forum or any other forums. I know i didn't! Took me 9 months! And it was with that in mind that i made those suggestions :)

Maybe this is rare. But.. am I the only one to wich this has happen?
    :_| OMG i'm alone the world! :p hey wait a second, that makes me unique... :D

13. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Well i first posted in the AOTC forums, im never the kind of welcome person. I also introduced my friend to the JC Election forum to start, then the NSW fanforce forum, im a bit whacked.

14. Skimaniac87

Nov 21, 2002
    Might the Newbies Map Of The Boards, help for some newbies who would like to explore?

15. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Aww, I love you all. [face_blush] :D

Sorry for vanishing completely in the last few days, additionally to my illness, I also had computer problems over the weekend and therefore wasn't able to get online at all. :( But now I'm back. :)

I've got a lot to catch up, ;) and not much time (RL business), but I'll try to write a longer reply to this topic later today. :)

- Mommy :p

16. WhiteHorse

Apr 3, 2002
    :D :D :D :D :D You back! *hugs*

* hides again *

17. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Sorry for beeing "off-topic" [face_blush] but...

Nice to see you again, Julia! :D *hugs* And very nice to know that you are feeling better now!! :D :D

We missed you! :) *hugs again*

18. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Another OT - sorry [face_blush]

Welcome back Morgaine :D You have been greatly missed.

19. JediDBM

JediDBM Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2003
    *Hugs to Morgaine* Welcome back, good to see you again. :D

20. PadmesHairstylist

PadmesHairstylist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Id like to say if you see some person posting the same welcome message at lease, id say, 3 times, send em a pm letting them know about this thread, nothing harsh just a suggestion, maybe they might start to vary their posts, i know im makin my welcome posts more radical.

I agree with the general idea of this thread and have since stopped welcoming people the way I used to because it didn't settle well with some people....but I have to say, is there some rule stating how people welcome each other or am I missing something here? Are we going so far as to take certain actions against folks for not welcoming properly? Come on...seriously.

Are you some of you really considering chasing down folks for their previous "robotic" posts in the welcome forums and sending them PM's reminding them not to do so?

This ought to be interesting...

21. Lord-of-the-Marks

Lord-of-the-Marks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    That's why I haven't posted. j/k
    There's no rule that says I have to answer every single post either. If I can add something, I answer. If I don't respond for whatever reason, I know someone can do a better job than me in that situation.

22. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Alright, ill turn into the robotic post hunter!

Ill even Add it to my Sig :D

23. PadmesHairstylist

PadmesHairstylist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    LOL!

*throws hands up*

Very well then. ;)

24. Lord-of-the-Marks

Lord-of-the-Marks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    I know. How can you beat that? lol

25. JediDBM

JediDBM Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2003
    Should I be afraid to say hi to anyone now, just kidding Jedi_Benji, you have made a very valid point, and made all of us aware that we ALL do occasionally fall into that same old routine. Just trying to keep a little humor going here :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.