main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [OOTS]You suck, Monty

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quixotic-Sith, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Takhisis - there was an extra "is". And the hot elf babe is Laurana. I used to play and read the Dragonlance series religiously in middle school. After high school, I gave up all of the RPG's.

And I'll use this thread as a surrogate for the BSG thread, since I'm downloading the episode on iTunes now. Montie, what was your nutshell, spoiler-free opinion of the episode?

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    BSG: I don't think it could have ended any other way and been satisfying. You get the answers, some are vague and needed to be. I told myself if it ended with the quality it made through the series I would call it the best scifi tv show of all time and I guess I have to own up to it. That's a tall order given Trek and X-Files, but as much as those shows thrilled me they did not thrill me to as much of a degree as NBSG.

There you go.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Grazie mille. I have 22 minutes left on my download.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    In the BSG thread there are a few gripes, especially with a particular trope which I have to agree with, but for me the concerns are minor.

5. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    I trust you appreciate how hard it is to see the thread but not click on it... ;)

6. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, this is disappointing. I thought this thread was going to be about something else.

7. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    But it is about something awesome.

"Suvie's" not here right now it seems.

And thus far it seems my optimism was misplaced. But it wouldn't be the first time The Giant faked out his readership. I'm guessing the Orical might have interceded if things were going to play out differently than she desired, but we'll see...

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Perv (which I love)

#640 Madness

In case you are wondering what is between Elemental and Etheral Filcher in the Monster Manuel it is "Elf". I can't read what are on the shirts in the last panel. I think the one on the right says "Duke".

I have never sat with a group and played D&D. I own much of the game books before the most recent version, 4E. I did play the solo intro adventure of the Red Box D&D from 1983(has a Warduke type character on the ccover), I played Midnight On Dagger Alley which featured the red view finder which allowed you to follow a map without revealing the rest of the map, I have many Endless Quest books, played Baldurs Gate, and that's about it for D&D.

I have played the advanced version of the original Marvel Superheroes game, the original DC Heroes game, and Traveler 2300 which we altered the rules of so much that it hardly looked like the original rules. My experience here is limited though as anyone who GM'd either sucked or sucked badly. The main GM liked to play a character while GM'ing and we got tired of being set up so his character could save the day.

But I do love my D&D lore. I am dissapointed with 4E though. The rules to not look like good rpg rules for D&D, it looks like someone made a tabletop miniatures game and slapped the D&D label on it. I also DESPISE the main art of 4E.

Anyhoo, time to see if V gets rid of hir meld. I think it'd be interesting if sHe keeps it. The family must be encountered, and V I would imagine must contemplate all the things sHe can do with the new powers such as getting Roy back and stopping Xykon.

[image=http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/KnifeToTheSoul/DnD5606.jpg]

^Cover to 1983 boxed set.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    That would be the Duke Blue Devils and the Arizona State Sun Devils. Me no sports knowledge.

A few gems from the forums:

Originally Posted by Liwen

Authoritarian figure : "Hit this man with a baseball bat."
    Person : "Why? That gonna hurt him."
    Authoritarian figure : "Do Has I demand. We will take full responsibility for your actions, and obeying will grant you the comfortable carefree life you desire, for we can provide."
    Person : "in this case" Whack!

..."Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" (Abraham Lincoln)

I don't know how much more obvious it has to get: V is now EVIL!!!

Whether you personally think V's acts are evil, it doesn't matter. It's so obvious that the Giant considers her acts to be evil, and that's all it requires. If you can't see it, I can't help you.

What'll it take to convince some of you?

V kicks a homeless person?
    V disintegrates a basket full of puppies?
    V tears the "Do not remove" tag from a mattress?
    Qarr shows up and stands next to V while wearing an "I'm with Evil -->" T-shirt?

[face_laugh]

I personally don't think there's anything dramatically wrong with what V's doing now, and I can't understand how people are making such a shock of everything. Adventurers kill billions of monsters and god knows what from time to time; and heck, black dragons are EVIL - V's doing more of a favor for the entire world by destroying one of their major families.

How you do it may have some significance (soul splice), but judging by his/her actions, I'd say she's still safely neutral. Nothing wrong there, saving your family from a bloodthirsty dragon. Killing a whole bunch of evil twisted creatures in the process = more good than bad.

If that made you evil, most PCs and other heroes out there would have gone evil too a long time ago and paladins wouldn't even be a possibility.

If V say, got lost in her madness and got into a fight with her family resulting in her killing or otherwise hurting them, THEN I'd say she's switched to evil. Now she's done nothing else bad than attempting a soul splice.

How does that go? "Be careful when fighting monsters lest you become one."

10. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Yeah, avoid the GM-PC at all costs. The only times it works is when they are clearly in a supporting role, with some number of PC's higher in 'rank'. Of course I use higher ranking NPC's all the time, and keeping the line between GM-PC and NPC can get fuzzy if the GM isn't wary of swooping in and rescuing the party. DM of the Rings did a really good treatment of this problem (this and many other problems in RPG's).

My exposure to 4E has been limited, but it didn't seem markedly worse than any other level based RPG. True, the bulk of 4E is combat mechanics, but D&D has always cleaved closer to it's war-gamming roots than most RPG rule sets.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The most obvious difference to me has been the Forgotten Realms. If you flip through the 3.0 sourcebook and then flip through the 4.0 version there is a horrid lack of depth and substance to the 4.0 book. The 3.0 book feels like you are stepping into another world, the 4.0 book feels like a half assed summary.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    OOTS # 330

I just thought this funny and appropriate given the current economic crisis. I have considered joining the forums and in doing so informing them I update this thread here. Perhaps it would help traffic to theis place and we could be...DUN DUN DUUUUN...46th on the internet. ;)

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    #641 For every action...

I don't think the comment about not being able to cast spells without a mortal host is just filler. Haerta will possess someone and run amok. From the forums:

This just goes to show that selling your soul and being swallowed by a black dragon are nothing next to the trauma of being yelled at by your boy/girlfriend.

[face_laugh]

14. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    I've had a login on the GitP forum for sometime, but I haven't posted much since the big GitP forum drama surrounding Miko. For awhile someone did Stick Wars, a send up of OotS, where all there characters were ported over to Star Wars D20. It was pretty fantastic.

And yeah, it will be interesting to see how V handles the fallout from his actions.

15. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    [image=http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/FlareStorm/dragoncomic01.jpg]

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    If you have more by all means post them.

[image=http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/KnifeToTheSoul/imagesdd-humor-2.png]

[image=http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii214/KnifeToTheSoul/02.jpg]

Any idea where a gallery of old D&D art like that can be found?

17. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    nope, im just getting them from pdfs when I go through them

[image=http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/FlareStorm/dndcomic02.jpg]

18. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    [image=http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/FlareStorm/dndcomic03.jpg]

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I actually have the original issue No Wight Turn appears in. And I swear if I ever play D&D and go with a wizard class I will challenge another to a Bigby showdown. New Spell: Bigby's Rock-Paper-Scissors, but when the spells show Rock for one and Scissors for the other you will be able to crsuh your opponant rather than just the Scissors.

#642 Choice

Aside from the lack of a Force Choke V = Anakin.

From the forum thread:

Wow.

Someone isn't using their INT to its full potential.

Actually V's INT is working fine, the WIS score is what's mucking things up. :-B

I would say though that even though this is all rather bad for V and the main reason sHe is holding on to the splices is out of power hunger V deep down is still trying to do the right thing. I hope. I assume V is heading to find the group and then go after Xykon, though If I were hir I'd try to tget that other splice back first. I do want to see the reactions of the other OOTS members. Belkar will probably love it.

So, what would you do? You are the most powerful wizard ever by a very wide margin. Give the power up for the love of family leaving the possibility that the world could fall while at one point you had the power to stop it? Keep it, take that chance you can save the world, possibly sacrifice your soul to do it? I say possibly because it is a short fiend ownership duration, but even before that occurs you may be tainted for life if not turned totally evil.

Anyway, from a drama standpoint I am quite glad V kept it and left.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    #643 A Wizard Did It

Given the feat V just pulled off the fiends should make haste to get the one epic necromancer back before really bad things happen.

HERE are some epic spells if you like that sort of thing.

The "long standing conundrum" if I am right is referring to ressurecting Roy or else defeating Xycon.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So as we see one of the things V was going to do, and what sHe has been trying to do this whole time, is find Haley and reunite the OOTS. So she is brought down a notch as her epic powers were not needed to do this. As I read the thread on the forums for the update the members are going on as if this means V never needed her splices creating horrific irony. Well that's just dumb. The reason V got the splices was to defeat the dragon and save hir family, locating Haley if need be was to be a nice side effect.

22. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Well, I can see the irony in that had V not been just a little more patient and more willing to face hir demons (psychologically speaking) the soul-splice wouldn't have been necessary.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    #644 An Unsung Legend

Dave Arneson

Other info

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Dave_Arneson.png]

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/First_fantasy_campaign_-_arneson_%28sml%29.gif]

:(

24. Vincent-Kenobi

Vincent-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 4, 2008
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    What?! You went over my helmet?! :p

Things to note:

People can hear the whispers!

The adventure to get Roy's body will be in tne next OOTS book? I am sort of dissapointed we did not get it in the webcomic, but oh well.

The last panel is gold. "Welcome to the low end of the alignment pool, pal." "You know, I like the cut of his jib."

V has still not let go of the splices. Personally if I ever find mysel fin a fantasy land and I become a wizard I am going with the black robes with red borders, cool look that.