main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

New Hamp Original Star Wars Coming to DVD. Old Vs. New Versions

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Rotag21, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rotag21

Rotag21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Ok guy's here we go..........

As EVERYONE should be aware of the original Star Wars Movies IV, X, XI. are coming to DVD for the first time in Oct. I believe. I'd like to hear from everyone out there which one they'd like to see come out. The 77 versions or the 97 remakes.

All, so don't pick one let's hear why you may like one over the other ect, ect ..... :)

I personally would like to see a set with both version in it. The best one's for me are still the originals. But I did realy enjoy the 97 remake releases. I thought they did a good job on them and I like watching them as well. I know want some of you are saying right now .... Greedo shots first? right... lol I don't care I still liked it. :p

So let hear want you all have to say. I can't want to hear some of your reply's.

May the force be with you all..........
    TK

2. Sabaccs_luck

Sabaccs_luck Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2003
    I think it can be both, after all they are DVDs. I think there is room on a DVD for there to be the original story line with a feature that selects original vs remade scenes before hand. So You load the DVD and say play original and it plays the first part of the movie until the choice comes for special edition or regular and it will choose the one you decided on in the begining. Each movie has it's own disk. And now we get to see lots of bonus material. Make it a ... 12 DvD set so chock full of extra stuff (scenes, interviews, props, makeing of, cut scenes, ideas that never made it, previews of other starwars stuff; like the release of the animated starwars Droid ect on DVD, close up of and explanations of the various alphabets used; including Mandalorian, and Maybe a DVD encyclopedia of aliens or something.) that we will never put it away because we have so much more to explore.

3. SithapprenticeDJ

SithapprenticeDJ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2003
    I would like to see them come out with the original version of Star Wars because I don't like some of the things they changed in the Special Edition version. The digital version of Jabba was terrible in my opinion and I didn't like the changes to the Sarlacc monster either. I really wish that they had used the original Jabba puppet for the scene in a New Hope. Their were some things that were not that bad like the Wampa scene in the Empire Strikes Back and the additional shots of Mos Eisley in a New Hope.

In Empire Strikes Back their was the additional shots of cloud city which I liked but I didn't like the fact that they put accents on the Death Star explosions. I'm sorry if this is coming out the wrong way like I'm being negative about Star Wars because that's not what I'm doing. I love Star Wars but I would just like to see the movies the way that their supposed to be. I have the Special Edition and it's a pretty good version of the film but I just like the original version better. Actually I would prefer if they came out with both versions. I liked what Ken had to say about having a 12 DVD set but I don't think they will do that right now. It would also be cool if they had a documentary about collectible's over the years.

I heard that the Star Wars box set is supposed to follow the same format as the Indiana Jones box set where you have the movies and then there will be a fourth bonus disc full of extras.

4. Baron_Soontir_Fel

Baron_Soontir_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2003
    You know, the only problem I have with the SE is that Greedo shoots first. That is just gawd aweful. I keep hearing that GL is going to drop the SE version and restore the original for the DVD release. As for Jabba, I agree with DJ, he needs to be redone so he's more in line with Ep 1 Jabba. Other than that, I'm happy with things the way they are...

5. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I think they should do both and create two 3-disk sets. LFL could release an "un-touched" OT version first. Then a week later release a digitally enhanced version that would blow the SE out of the water. This way everyone is happy!

6. Cephas

Cephas Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2003
    Is it a real question? I mean, reall.

The original 1977-83 versions are the best. Hands down. I think that for the most part, the "Special Olympic" Editions raped what I loved as a child. Han shoots second?! That new song and dance in Jabba's court? The new Wampa! Where's Tashi's station?! The Jedi sandstorm is where? Yeah, okay Lucas, I'm sure you improved igt and put all the missing scenes back in. Ass. Most of the special editions are "go se".

Hmm...emotional much? You betcha you betcha you bet!

-Cephas

7. Rotag21

Feb 24, 2003
    Why don't you tell us how you realy feel Cephas.
    HAHAhahahahah....

WOW! I love to see pete get worked up !! LOL :)

8. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Why don't you tell us how you realy feel Cephas.

Tell me about it [face_shocked]! You don't have to sugar-coat it for us, just let it all out ;).

9. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Looks like the official date will be Sept 21st, 2004 for the release of the OT SE set on DVD. A formal announcment will be made on Tuesday the 10th.

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I just pre-ordered my copy of the OT DVD today! I was in Fye in the Pheasant Lane Mall buying a DVD and was told that I could put my name on the list now for $5.

11. ig-812

ig-812 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2004
    nice. do you get any thing for pre-ordering it?

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Unfortunately they didn't have any give-aways with the pre-order. Nobody was advertising this either, I only found out about it because I was making a purchase and the girl asked if I wanted to do the pre-order.

13. SithapprenticeDJ

May 1, 2003
    I wonder if you can pre-order the OT DVD at any store because I know you can reserve a copy at Suncoast in the mall. Lately I've been having problems at Suncoast so I think I might go to Best Buy to get it and Suncoast is also very expensive.

14. Rotag21

Feb 24, 2003
    Ok Guy's,

First off if your going to be pre-ordering Star Wars. Do it with ME!! Hello.... I work at FYE... remember? I can pre-order it for everyone and most like it a cut price $$$. : ) As for any give a ways with the pre-order there are none set for now. It is still to long off & Lucas has not set any to paper for the give a ways. There are how ever talking about a poster from us at FYE. But we DO NOT have to true word on that. Still it is to soon.

I will how ever be planning some kind of PARTY at my store for the release of the movie either the weekend before the movie comes out or the day the movie comes out. I will do some thing like a big give a way & most likely something with the 501st. for the Jimmy Fund like I did for the last movie.

But I will be talking about it the next meeting. Because I'm hope we can do something there as a group.

Till then,
    May the Force Be With You All...
    TK

15. SithapprenticeDJ

May 1, 2003
    Well if you're going to get it for us TK then I guess I'll wait and let you get it for us. It's probably the best idea anyway becuase you can get it for a good price. I like the party idea that your planning at your store. What FYE store do you work at TK? See you at the next meeting.

16. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    As if there weren't enough good reasons out there already to be excited about the OT coming out on DVD, here's one more. These cases look great!!! I can't wait to get mine.

17. JangoFett3263827

JangoFett3263827 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2003
    First off (yeah I know been sort of quiet lately for no apparent reason), they can absolutely fit at least 2 full movies on a DVD so both the OT and SE versions could be available in the same 6-DVD box set(3 for the movies and 3 for bonus features). Unfortunately they won't because they won't make nearly as much money off of it. Remember that Ultimate Edition we were talking about a few weeks ago? Well I haven't given up hope on that. Choosing between the 2 existing editions, I would probably justget both because I never see the OT but I think the SE is better over all, even if Han doesn't shoot first.
    What if Uncle George and company polled the fans and came out with a fans' edition where Han shoots first but we still see the extra shots of Cloud City? Just daydreaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.