main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[OT] Lord of the Rings TCG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I went 3-1 with a Faramir deck, beating both of the Witch-king decks I faced.

2. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    I managed to go undefeated (4-0) although two of my games were timed wins. I suppose I should have read the spoilers more prior to playing, but overall, 45 minutes for a pre-release is a bit short. Wish Decipher would allow 1 hour for them. I played with the Witch-King deck. Once the Ents got set up, they were pretty hard to take out.

R'Bolt

3. JediKynes009

JediKynes009 Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2003
    Ents are the one thing that could really ruin my moria deck right now. I've always counted on my swarms but if I can't hurt them really anymore the deck is almost dead.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, Ents can handle Moria pretty easily. They can beat most of the Orcs, which means no one gets stacked on Goblin Swarms, and the swarm gets much tougher.

Dunland, of all things, can make life difficult for Ents.

5. JediKynes009

Jun 17, 2003
    Well I think sauron orcs might be able to handle ents. I have a ranger/warg deck and I was getting my but handed to me. site 9 I almost lost. first time any deck that really scared me. that deck can get a lot more deadlyer and can't wait to face it again...

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    In my experience, Wargs aren't any good. They're always a 2-card combo, so if you draw one without the other, you're pretty much screwed. Also, the Wargs simply have no killing power at the end, although they can have good stopping power in the beginning. If you use Wargs, you better plan to win with your Fellowship, because you will most likely not have a shadow win.

7. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    I agree... Wargs can be hit and miss. Great when they have their stuff. Roll of Thunder can be a real problem when playing against Gandolf based decks (which should be a lot more commone now with Ents). My sons Rolls would frustrate the heck out of me. :(

With respect to the new Sauron Orcs, that culture seems to have great potential. I just built an Orc deck... with a combination of the older and new ones, along with conditions like Wizard Storm, Trapped and Alone, and GBHB. I've got a couple of Saruman's (Servant of the Eye) to try and keep Rohan and Gandolf from causing exertions, by having Saruman assign who they fight. Haven't tested the deck yet, but am looking forward to Gaming Night this Wednesday. The Orc Commander, Orc Overseer and others (with a Spies of Saruman dropped on a site) could potentially yield a host of wounds in one turn. Also planning on using the Isengard Warrior to help with Archer decks eliminating them from reducing my minions vitality!

R'Bolt

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, it's the release date, and I've got one box coming to me this time. Pulls will be announced shortly after I get them, assuming I don't get held up in the shop playing some pickup games or something.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, combined with my prerelease pulls, I am missing just 3 cards from the set: Pippin, Galadriel and the Ring of Barahir. I pulled doubles of Easterling Army, Fires and Foul Fumes, Balrog, Durin's Tower, Skinbark (triple of him), and Gate Troll. My foils were Gollum, Ent Horde, Gift of Foresight, Agility, Nasty Foul Hobbitses and Isengard Journeyman.

10. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    I'm hoping our boxes will arrive today. If not, it'll be a long wait until Monday. My son and I have got 5 boxes coming (2 for us and 3 for friends).

R'Bolt

11. JediKynes009

Jun 17, 2003
    I've managed to get a shadow win once but most times the way my ranger deck works it's usually the fellowship I try to win with. plus the fact that there minions are roaming pretty far it hurts them big time.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Just remember there is currently no way to make minions roaming during the Shadow phase. Once you reach the site printed on their card, they play for the normal cost. The minions only "become" roaming when they are actually assigned, due to either Gondorian Ranger, Ancient Roads, New Errand or Forests of Ithilien's texts.

13. JawaInSuicideMission

JawaInSuicideMission Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2002
    Just wanted to introduce myself to the LotRCCG Thread :D

I'm from Germany, the country which rocked the European Championship.

It's hard getting started if you're new to a thread... :p

EoF is pretty cool, i want my display so bad... The Ents, Gandalf, the i-Orcs and the new Balrog are awesome! I'm also interested in the new Sauron Orcs ... they might be a match winner side. And the new Toldea is the best ever! (One out of two... ;) )

14. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Welcome to the thread!

Tonight I tried my new Elven deck. Not sure I've got it perfected since I went one in one in league. Lost at site nine to Nazgul in my first game, but won against Uruk Archery in the second.

The highlight of the second game occurred when the shadow player played Lurtz and a relatively small uruk archer. Aragorn took care of the archer without a problem, but Lurtz was sure to kill two of my 4 companions, Arwen and Pengedhel. Wasn't a pleasant thought given Arwen (with Gwemgil) had two wounds and Pengedhel had one. I had one forarmed in my hand an no clue as to what the top card was. I played the event and the top card was my Uruk Vanguard. I had hoped to possibly win one skirmish and lose the other. As it turned out Lurtz became a strength 3 and was overwhelmed. He never got to his fiece skirmish. Need I say, my opponent didn't look too happy!

I limped into the sanctuary with 4 nearly exhausted companions. Just thought I'd share. Was awesome.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I decided to play an Ent/Dunland deck in tonight's tournament, and I went 3-1. In the final game, I was playing a RBR/Southron direct damage deck, and I was getting wrecked. A Southron Commander on a Mûmak got Frodo up to 9 burdens before I finally discarded down to 5 companions. But despite all that, I had to double to site 9, because I was decked and only had one minion left. I just barely pulled off the win there, thanks to his removing a few burdens to play guys with the Palantír Chamber. Frodo had to fight Lurtz and a Mûmaked Commander on the fierce fight, but Frodo was 10 strength, so a Bounder let him survive against the 26-strength minions. Very, very close.

16. JawaInSuicideMission

Jan 3, 2002
    Well, this weekend I'm going to play in a STD Tournament, and I'm going to try Ents+Fighting Gandalf/Moria. My FP has 42 cards, so I have to go with moria! ;)

What's your fav Format? STD? DRAFT? BLOCK? Or good'ol Open?

I think the best shadow (STD) currently is Power Nazgul... I mean, Orcs are overwhelmed against trees, Dunland's Side control can't win against ents because of their great side liberation, and uruks,... haven't seen them around in STD :p

I think i'll test a easterling corruption for the next tournament... Here a shadow for review:
    2 Gollum Stinker
    3 Ulaire Enquea Lieutnant of Morgul
    4 Easterling Skirmisher
    3 Easterling Axeman
    4 Easterling Lieutnant
    3 Easterling Captain
    4 Easterling Guard
    2 Desert Legion
    2 Easterling Army
    4 Easterling Polearm
    4 Gathering the Summons
    4 Vision form Afar

39 cards... cut as you wish!

17. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Humm... haven't tried corruption myself, although my son has an Easterling deck. Not sure about your Easterling Axemen. They are 9 and fierce with two burdens. Toldea (from Fellowship) can also be very "devastating" in a burden deck. Costs more but is fierce. You might also want to consider Helpless to try and prevent Sam SOH from doing serious damage if he gets on the table.

Personally, corruption may be the ultimate goal, but burden beatdown should not be underestimated. I believe Bib plays a corruption deck. He might have some better suggestions.

R'Bolt

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Here is my corruption deck:

Desert Legion X3
    Easterling Army X2
    Easterling Captain X3
    Easterling Guard X4
    Easterling Lieutenant X4
    Easterling Polearm X4
    Easterling Skirmisher X2
    Gollum, Stinker X3
    Úlairë Enquëa, Lieutenant of Morgul X3
    Úlairë Toldëa, Messenger of Morgul X3
    Vision From Afar X2

19. JawaInSuicideMission

Jan 3, 2002
    Aren't 13 cards to make a burden to few? I mean...

Rohan and/or archery is to bad for your exert-burden-adder

And for Gollum... we'll... if you can't get the burden-party started... he is no watch for a gorn or a eomer

I really like gathering the summons, because even if my opponent doesn't complain about the assignment to frodo, I can add burdens.

I said it once, and I will say it again: Frodo Direct Damage and Corruption will be very interesting for the future... it seems as THE match up for trees.

20. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Well ultimately I believe your deck should be based on how well it performs from a corruption point of view. My point was that cards like Sam, Son of Hamfast among others can prevent your corrupting your opponent on a regular basis. Even getting 4 or 5 burdens on your opponent with cards like Enquea and Toldea can "win" you the game.

Again, I don't personally have a lot of experience with corruption decks first hand, so I'm not the best person to talk to. I do know I feel very vunerable once I've passed the magic 5 (or 4 when playing Nasgul) burdens on Frodo.

R'Bolt

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, I don't really go for "corruption" per se, but I just get 4 or 5 burdens, and then I wreck his Fellowship.

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Ooh, a Denethor preview card has been posted on Decipher!

23. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah... saw it. Not sure I like the idea that it appears (at least for now) to be a convention "exclusive". We won't be making DecipherCon this go around (regretably) so I'm going to have to count on friends I know who are going. Hopefully they can snag an extra for me.

BTW... for a promotional card, this card looks great. I like playing Gondor so he'll fit nicely into my Gondor deck.

R'Bolt

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yeah, he'll be a great addition in any Gondor deck.

25. JediKynes009

Jun 17, 2003
    Against my current warg deck frodo won't be getting burdened too much. just use the ring bound to remove burden frodo and use rangers. very nasty little deck. when it's on that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.