main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Our Website

Discussion in 'Archive: Lincoln, NE' started by Obi-Wan's Apparition, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I thought I would let everyone know that I made us a Geocities site just a few minutes ago here as we discussed at our meeting.

If anyone has any ideas as to what to put there or if there is anyone who wants to help make it, say so in this thread. :)

2. Arwen_Evenstar

Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Good work :)

I'll help you with it.

3. Talon_Knightwing

Talon_Knightwing Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2002
    ill help too if you want.

4. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    Well, it looks like Geocities deleted it because I didn't work on it. :mad:

Shall we try this again?! :D I think we can still use the same name.

5. Talon_Knightwing

Sep 24, 2002
    i think its a good idea. i suppose thoughwe better get around to doing something for it this time ;P

6. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I have a better suggestion for a web host.

http://members.freewebs.com/

Its a site with free webhosting an NO POP-Ups.

This is what the features are:

100mb Space +
    No Banner Ads
    No Popups
    Website Builder
    Counters
    Site Statistics
    Form Mailer
    Chat Rooms
    Discussion Forums
    Guest Books
    Photo Albums
    Calendars
    Site Promotion
    Realtime Editing

I think that would be better cause GEO-POOP has popups and they stink.

I think the only requiorement is a link advertisement about getting a free website @ freewebs.

7. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    i'm going to sign up for a site at this web host and try out the website builder.

Also, I'd prefer to be able to PROTECT the email address if we HAVE to put a contact address on the site. I don't want spammer robots to grab the email address and spam it. [face_plain]

EDIT:

http://www.freewebs.com/lincolnff/

There it is. We can add content later. It has NO ADS. Some of the service things are premium, but we can get a free web board at proboards.com that is customizable, if we need one.

We can also get free cgi contact form (remotely hosted). We can decide that stuff later.

I'd really prefer to use this site cause Geocities is very unprofessional and its a turn off that they have pop ups. And it costs money to remove the pop ups.

8. Talon_Knightwing

Sep 24, 2002
    good deal, looking forward to getting ssome work done then. hopefully soon ill get those concepts done for the icon/logo and stuff. ill keep you posted on that.

9. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    Wow! I didn't know that there was so much activity in this thread! :D Thanks for setting that up, Liz!

Ok, now for the questions: Can we customize the look of the website? What should we put on it (other than what we are)?

10. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    okay, this is the deal. That is one of the layouts they have that you can use with the basic editor. The problem is, if you go to the advanced one, which is writing it with HMTL from scratch, you can't go back to the old one.

I know a LITTLE html, but I'm a little out of practice. I'd prefer to keep this layout until we get some more information for people, such as meeting times, etc.

11. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    Yeah, HTML isn't one of my strengths. :( It looks pleasant enough as it is though. :D

12. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    Liz: just a thought. Could you, if you know who to PM about such a thing, PM whoever is in charge of updating the websites for the FF chapters on this site?

13. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I'd rather wait until the website is actually ready. It'd be pointless to give them the site address when all is there is an email address.

14. Arwen_Evenstar

Nov 6, 2000
    No it wouldn't. If someone visited the website they could email us for more information. It's a chance, and that's hardly worthless.

15. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Well, yes, but what information can we give them? (And its the email I set up, so it would come to ME).

We don't meet regularly. We don't have bylaws or other things like more established FanForces have.

We should really get to be more established. Then that way we can say what we do. Right now we do NADA.

16. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    Look at it this way: we do enough. [face_laugh] We meet (kinda) reguarly, and we are doing this to have fun. If it prompts other people to get involved, then it's worth it, IMHO.

17. Arwen_Evenstar

Nov 6, 2000
    bylaws?! :eek: Do we need bylaws?

Well, as CR you seem a pretty good person to respond to interested members. But if it's a problem that the emails would come to you then change it to the one John set up so that any of us can answer them.

18. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    If you want to I can try to dig up the password again... [face_plain] I always forget it.

19. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I don't mind answering the emails, but I also need to be able to tell them what we do. And as I said before: we don't do anything........YET. We haven't even seen a movie together as a group. We haven't made t-shirts, etc.

I'd like to be able to have more than email on the site.

And we do need to get some sort of rules down.

Maybe I'll try to contact the city rep for Omaha and ask his advice.

20. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Even if you can't give them a calendar or list of events, the website could direct them to the forum so they can help plan events. :)

~H~

21. Arwen_Evenstar

Nov 6, 2000
    That's a great idea, Heather! :)

John, I'm sure I've got the password written down somewhere. I can find it for you if you need :)

Liz, why do we need rules?

22. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Jan 10, 2000
    John, I'm sure I've got the password written down somewhere. I can find it for you if you need :)

I think I changed it. [face_laugh] [face_plain]

23. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    we need rules so if we have younger members join we aren't held responsible for any sort of problems that may occur.

We need to have things like a parental consent form if we do activities and stuff. I'd like to have that sort of thing put on the website.

24. Arwen_Evenstar

Nov 6, 2000
    Good work, John. [face_plain]

:p

25. Talon_Knightwing

Sep 24, 2002
    I agree with the consent forms, i think they are a must. And as far as us not really doing anything, well we are working on that. Things are just taking time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.