main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme AOTC Battle Outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Nostradamus made a great version of this costume with the cape! :D There's a link to the pic somewhere around here...

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Here it is:
    Quincy's Padme

I think I see a rug/blanket I can use to make the cape. It really gonna be useful when I go for the 1st showing at Midnight on May 16 over here. :p

Oh yes, concerning the white lycra, think I found it or could be an alternative. It's stretchy as lycra and thicker than Nylon Lycra but a bit furry like Panne Velvet. The man said it's Polyester Lycra but I'm not sure if it's true. Cost SG$8 (US$5) per metre too! Think till I can find (and afford) some White Cotton Lycra, I'm gonna use this fabric for now.

3. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Guys, check out this pic from sw.com

[image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/feature/20020215/img/2_bg.jpg]

Cool, huh? You can see the detail on the top so much better!

4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I just found some little boots for Quincy to wear with this and a few other costumes.
    I may re-do the top I made for her.
    I will see what I have time to do.

Thanks for the picture.

I made the cape-thing out of a knit fabric I found.

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Talking about boots, I finally found the shop selling the White Rubber Boots, like those kinds Construction and Supermart Deli/Fish/Meat section people wear. Hope it's be a precursor for me getting my own Imperial Armor (soon, soon I hope . . . when I win lottery! :D )

Anyway back to the actual story, I was thinking of using shin wrap (lycra or stretchy fabric) to make the shin guards. I got a very disproportion shin (the back that is!) so making the shin guard out of something hard will be useless. Problem is, I need recommandation on how to replicate the patterns on the shin guards, those rectangular thinging. Drawing it out maybe or sew "ropes" in between 2 layers or the wrap?

6. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, I already posted this in the Trailer D thread, but I figured it was probably smart to post it here too, seeing as how this thread is about the outfit!
    [image=http://www.operationsombrero.com/headlines/2002/mar/episode2/trailer/66.jpg]
    In this picture you can see a really good close-up of Padme's hair, for those of you planning on doing this costume. Even if you don't go all out and do the Do, it's still pretty cool to look at in the pic!

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Poor Padme... :(

Ouch

8. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I know! In all the pics we had before, you never see the cut on her back, just the torn fabric. I guess it would be too much to hope for the ackley or whatever to just catch the fabric and not her back too...

9. dreamweaver_YJN

dreamweaver_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2001
    Hey everyone, I've been working on this costume for about a month now, and I'm almost finished. I make a lot of the costumes for Young Jedi Niagara...and this will be my new one for the EP II line-up events our club has planned. This thread has been such a great source of information and ideas.....thanks everyone!!!

I thought some of you attempting this costume might like to know what I have used for different parts of the costume. For the pants, I just got a very tight pair of white leggings from a second-hand store...and because it IS so tight...you simply cannot wear normal underwear...no matter what style...they show!! I just wear a thick pair of flesh-coloured tights underneath and it looks pretty good. [face_blush]
    For the top, I bought a really tight stretch white top with the right type of neckband from a second-hand store. I had to take off the neckband to make the yoke with the ridges in it....and the decorative seams across the bustline. I also replaced the sleeves so that the shoulder seams are angled in towards the neck...and so that I could put in the outside seams down the length of the arms. The sleeves also needed to be longer...extending past the wrist. This was the hardest part of the costume to do....but I'm happy with the results. :D
    For the boots...I found a good pair of ankle boots that I painted off-white...then I used hockey shinguards for the calves of the legs. I took two pairs of shinguards (4 actual shinguards) and my friend (who is a real hockey expert!!!) boiled them in hot water, and while they were hot, shaped them exactly to my legs. I cut off the excess plastic on the sides after they were remoulded, then painted them off-white. I then attached 2 shinguards together using hot-melt and 3 short strips of inch wide elastic on each side, to make them go all around my leg. The elastic only needs to be stretched a little to get the guards onto my leg...and it holds them nicely in place.
    I made my gun from a 6 in. length of 1.25in. di.chrome plumbing pipe. The rounded ends are made from the ends of plastic easter eggs painted with silver metallic paint, and the gun barrel is the end of a BBQ lighter. The handle is from a glue gun which I sawed off, took the insides out of, filled the screw-holes with polyfilla, painted and stuck to the gun body using all-purpose adhesive.
    My armbands are made from a galvanized steel muffler coupling (3in.di. x 3.5 in.width, but choose a diameter which fits your own arm) cut in half lenghtwise (to make 2), and widthwise (to stretch it apart to get it on your arm). Make sure you file it well before wearing it so you don't cut yourself or your top.
    I made my belt out of beige vinyl leatherette and it is secured at the back using velcro. I made my holster out of a cream-colored Pantene ProV hair conditioner bottle that was almost the exact right shape. I just added some detailing (the ridge along the side) using sculpy. I will use the matching shampoo bottle to make the small squarish container on the belt beside the holster. I intend to make the other pouches out of the same leatherette as the belt.
    Finally, for the cape, I found (after much searching) an off-white woven fabric (lightweight upholstery fabric) with somewhat of a diamond pattern in it. It measures 1.4 x 2.7 metres. I have yet to get the Naboo emblems embroidered on the cape, which leads me to my questions......

1. In the pics I have, I can only see 2 Naboo emblems on the cape...one on each side on the ends where it hangs down. Is there more???...and what is their exact location on the cape??? :confused:

2. It appears that there is one soft longish pouch on the side of the belt opposite the holster...and another one alomost in the middle at the back. This is in addition to the cream-coloured holster and small squarish container I can see. Is this correct??? Any help here before I go ahead and make these items would be of great help!!!!! [face_love]

I'll post pictures of my costume and accessories as soon as possible!!!! ;)

10. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    Here's a few pictures that should help you out with your belt. There's 3 pouches and a holster that I can see:

Here's a clear photo of the holster and small pouch on her right hip:
    [image=http://www.nenya.net/sw/costuming/padme07.jpg]

Here you can see the large pouch on her left hip:
    [image=http://www.nenya.net/sw/images/7.jpg][image=http://www.nenya.net/sw/costuming/padme24.jpg]

And here you can see that there are actually 2 pouches on her left hip, one a little smaller than the other:
    [image=http://www.nenya.net/sw/costuming/73.jpg]

11. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Dreamweaver_YJN, I am in awe. I consider myself just a sort of dabbler in costuming, so your attention to detail and the amount of work you have put in...well, wow! I can't wait to hear how it all looks!(Please post pics!)

Thank you, Silmarillion, for setting up those pics for us.

I saw some pants at a store at the mall that were almost perfect. They were a bit too white, but were stretchy and had the elongated-tab front closure. The legs flared a bit at the bottom, but that looked easy enough to take in. Also, they had that hip-hanging level for a waistband. The only problem was that they had nothing but larges. :~( (BTW, the store was called "Reference" if anyone else has one nearby.)

12. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Opinion--would "hip-hugger" nylon/lycra blend, cream color jazz pants work? I could add a band at the waist to simulate the off-center closure, and take in the legs to make them more fitted.

13. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Anyone? <hopeful>

14. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Probably so. If they look close enough for you to consider using them, then I'm betting they would work fine. :) No one's ever said you *HAVE* to sew everything. ;)

kreleia ^.^

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey guys [face_clown] For those(if any) of you making the "post-ripped" battle costume, here is a good shot of the tears on padme's back:

[image=http://www.episode-ii.co.uk/images/news/padme_scratches.jpg]

200th Post!!!

16. dreamweaver_YJN

dreamweaver_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2001
    Well, I finally got a photo done of my costume....now all I gotta do is become anorexic, and grow a new face that looks like Natalie Portman....before May 16th.....LOL 8-}

[image=http://www.dragobit.com/chris/Laurie.jpg]

17. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Wow, that's awesome! What did you use for the cape? Very, very, very cool!

18. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Incredible! :~)

19. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    dreamweaver That costume looks great! Excellent job!

20. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    Woah, thanks guys! :) I've been tryin to figure out the varoius parts on this costume for a while now... I've purchased the watergun off of ebay. I'll probably paint the orange part silver. I'm doin the ripped version, and I've already got a blaster rifle :) The boots and guards however...eesh.

Wish me luck!

~Caleigh

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow! That looks great! :D

22. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Very nice dreamweaver!! And whaddya mean you have to go anorexic!? You look great!! :)

kreleia ^.^

23. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    Dreamweaver, that looks AWESOME!

Found some material to make the holster and pouches from, as well as modify some shoes to boots. Still looking for shoes.

Nobody has the right kind of shirt! i.e. long sleeved tshirt thing. Or white leggings/yoga pants! >_< I went to 10 different stores. *sigh*

On the other hand, I got the fabric to finish my other jedi costume and do the black cloak. so *shrug*

~Caleigh

24. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
  25. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to more stores today, including dance stores, NOBODY HAS THEM. GAHHH.

Thank you!

~Caleigh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.