main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme AOTC Battle Outfit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Dorme, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    dreamweaver_YJN, your costume turned out very beautifully! And you look great in it! :) Heehee, I'm the one who should become anorexic cause I'm too fat :( Donno if I'll ever look good as Wesell.

I also wore my half done Padme Costume to a Cosplaying event the previous week (ran out of ideas what to wear!) and it looks horrible from the waist down; no belt, no pouch, wrong pants, no shinguards and a oversize Blaster Rifle (Used the Battle Droid one :p). The sleeves are also too long and keep covering the armband so I'll have to shorten it a bit soon. And how you keep the armband from slipping down, especially if having fat arms?

And the fabric you used for the cape, what is it called? The other day I gotten a fabric I think will be suitable for the cape and it's called Honeycomb Jersy (Spandex plus Polyester?). And I saw another fabric at Spotlight called Waffle something, think it's also a Spandex, Cotton mix.

And for those who haven't done the shinguard, a picture I saw today in a local magazine (LIME) just threw a little bomb shell (or rather tibits) onto us; the shin guard is actually one 1 sided! Apparently, that tiled surface is only on the front and this shin guard got a leather or viny layer underneath. There are 4 belts holding the shin guard to the leather/vinyl behind and 2 goes through the shin guard.

And I realized the pattern on the cape is more of pinecone pattern; diamond like. And the arm band has 2 slit on it instead of one. I won't be surprise if there is some elastic band underneath the arm band which help to grip it onto the arms.

Aiyah, hard to visualized, eh? Okay, lah; tonight I'll try to scan it and upload it into my Photo Folder. The mag also got an almost front picture of Padme in her gold picnic gown (can see the flower on the shoulder band!) :)

2. FiorCara

FiorCara Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 9, 2001
    And for those who haven't done the shinguard, a picture I saw today in a local magazine (LIME) just threw a little bomb shell (or rather tibits) onto us; the shin guard is actually one 1 sided! Apparently, that tiled surface is only on the front and this shin guard got a leather or viny layer underneath. There are 4 belts holding the shin guard to the leather/vinyl behind and 2 goes through the shin guard.

Whaaat?! Argh. So is she wearing boots with shinguards over them? Can you post a pic of this?

Hey, there ain' NOTHING wrong with that droid blaster rifle. :)

~Caleigh

3. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Here is a pic that shows the back of her boots really well.
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/white/padme_select_big.jpg]
    It looks like there are 2 or 3 straps that go around the boots to hold the shin guards on.

Also, here are two new pics:
    [image=http://outlaw4.netfirms.com/anakinpadmesm.jpg]
    [image=http://outlaw4.netfirms.com/apwalkingsm.jpg]

4. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Posted in my Y!Album:
    Padme White Battle

It's the 1st picture. The second one is the one I got off the SW Insider (2nd scan :( )

Hope it's big enough. ;)

5. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
  6. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    Yay! My shirt and leggings came in. They look pretty good! :) Now to modify the shirt... hehe. Here's my costume set up.

-White underthings, heh heh.
    -Shirt: Have
    ----cut sleeve & bottom
    ----sew panel in front
    -Leggings: Have
    -Boots: Looking. Drum major boots?
    -Shin guard/armor pieces: Make
    ----Start w/ shin guards, cut out pieces & apply hard foam for extra
    ----Extra straps
    ----Cover w/ vinel
    -Arm Bands: Make
    ----Silver metal tape?
    -Belt: Have but missing
    -Belt box pouch things: Make
    ----Vinel w/ reinforcing
    -Holster: Make
    ----Vinel w/ reinforcing. Waiting on gun to do this.
    -Gun: Amidala's water pistol off ebay
    ----Paint orange piece silver.
    ----Is the Star Wars logo on there printed, or is it a sticker that can be removed?
    -Blaster Rifle: Have (Droid blaster rifle)
    -Figure out how on earth her hair is done up.

Look like I'm missin anything? Outside of being a lot thinner and shifting the bone structure of my face, heh.

~Caleigh

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    FiorCara did you get a chance to read the earlier posts about her hairstyle? There is some really good info on it available out there!

As far as the arm bands...I know there is a very light metal (an aluminum compound maybe?) available out there. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, but it is a kind of brushed silver color, and is very flexible. It can even be cut with regular scissors. You could buy a sheet of it and cut it to the right size, then bend it around your arms and attach it on the underside with hook-and-eyes, or snaps, or velcro -- or even a heavy double sided tape.

8. sabe-oola

sabe-oola Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2002
    Wow....you guys have definitely helped me come up with some great ideas for this costume!( I am doing the "destroyed" version) I am poor so, my costume won't be as great as everyone else's, but I am grateful to have at least the basics.....

I made the metal armbands out of plastic milk jug,and some platinum silver fabric glued on,and then I glued velcro on the ends to fasten it

I went to the thrift store and found 2 sets of soccer guards still in the original package for 80 cents a piece

I found a brand new white mock turtleneck that still had the tags,and it was perfect!

A regular pair of white stretch pants

I already had a khaki-colored leather belt and now all I have left to do is cut up the shirt, make the gun holseters , find a pair of boots, and lose about a million pounds and All will be perfect! ;) and so far, my dollar count has added up to 5 bucks!! Now I have to lose about a million pounds and All will be perfect! ;)
    I just hope it turns out alright, I will post progress pictures ASAP hopefully all turns out well...I hope :) ................

9. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    . . . there is a very light metal (an aluminum compound maybe?) available out there

It should be an Aluminium Sheet and you can get it from many Basic Craft Stores or even hardware stores as Nostradamus said she had used such thing for the roofing? It's just like what Mrs_MayimNaar said, can be cut with normal sharp scissors. The one I bought, not sure what's the thickness but it's feels hard and flexible but can be cut slowly with a scissors. And when you get one, make sure it's long enough to go round your arm with an allowance of 1 or more inches. You can also wrap thin aluminium or metal sheet around some base but try to make sure it's hard so I think tape or normal ribbon is out IMHO (unless you put a hard base underneath)

I'm going to try to glue some elastic band or hook side of the velcro underneath the band to solve the slipping armband problem of mine. :p

10. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    WOW !!!!!!! YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT .

IM DOING THE BLASTER FOR SOMEONE HERE IN DENVER . I USED A PIECE OF WOODEN DOWEL AND ROUNDED THE ENDS . IT WASNT AS HARD AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE . I DRILLED A HOLE IN ONE END AND PUT A SMALLER DOWEL IN IT .THE HANDLE I MADE OUT OF A PIECE OF 1X4 . THE VISUAL DICTIONARY WAS A BIG HELP .
    THE EASTER EGG THING IS A GREAT IDEA . I MIGHT HAVE TO TRY THE LIGHTER TRICK .

11. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    If you mean in this thread I must have missed it.. but I've looked at topics (and read a fair # of threads) back through October and can't find it... anyone mind pointing me to where her hair is discussed?

~Caleigh

12. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Here is a repost of my comments from the C&P Trailer D thread:

Kind of a costuming revelation:
    [image=http://www.operationsombrero.com/headlines/2002/mar/episode2/trailer/66.jpg]

In this screen shot of Padme in battle, you can zoom in and it is a really clear shot of her hair-do! It's a bunch of strands kind of twisted together in an intricate chignon(sp?) of some sort....

I thought it was interesting anyways! [face_clown]

In response, Kreleia posted this:

Mrs_M that hair-do was talked about in the Homing Beacon e-newsletter (#53). Did you see it? If not, here's the story:

Padmé Amidala finally gets to let her hair down. No longer Queen of Naboo, she's freed from the stately robes and traditional make-up that all but obscured her. Now a 24-year old Senator, she's able to define her own style and even able to relax from time to time. Managing her chestnut curls, and all the hair requirements of Episode II, is hair stylist Sue Love.

"He's very clear about his ideas," says Love, describing her working relationship with director George Lucas. "He explained it very well -- it's more of that old Hollywood glamour. People get confused and think 'space age and futuristic,' but it's not. It's actually completely the other way around. All the costumes and the hair, there's a period feel to them. So, I reference old films when I work."

Concept illustrations and notes start the process, and Love experiments with all manner of coifs and dos. She works mainly with acrylic hair, stretched or wrapped around lightweight templates covered with canvas. "We try to keep it very lightweight," she explains. The wigs and hairpieces are often built atop casts of the actors face, so that everything can be seen in context. It is these pieces that are approved, and then actually are fitted to the actors.

As a result, very rarely are we looking at the actor's actual hair -- especially if it's a rather elaborate set-up. Often, the actor's hair is either completely obscured by a wig, or built upon and incorporated into the piece. "Hayden Christensen had short hair when he first arrived, so we had to just trim it a little bit. We added the braid, which is tied to a little bit of his own hair. We sew the ponytail on the back."

A particular challenge is maintaining the pieces in the changing climates of location shooting. "It's a battle," says Love. "It's all the different temperatures. When we were at Lake Como, it poured rain, and Natalie Portman had her long curls which don't go very well in the rain. It was a constant battle to keep curling it up all the time, and to keep it looking the same. Then, the mornings in Tunisia are very, very humid. If I took her hairpiece out, all those lovely curls would just go straight."

Portman has about 15-20 hairstyles in Episode II, and Love has a favorite. "Nothing's difficult on Natalie. She's so beautiful. You can put anything on her," she says. "I think P-11 [the white jumpsuit look] is my favorite. The original design had huge loop, and I said to [Costume Designer] Trisha Biggar, what if I made that smaller, more compact? We sat in my kitchen at home -- it was before I had actually started working on the film properly -- wrapping hair around thin foam tubes, making these loops. We made a rough of it and sent it to George at Skywalker Ranch. It came back here with a note saying he loved it. We've got four copies of that now, but the original one was the one that works the most -- the one made in my kitchen. She just looks so cute in it."

13. Dorme

Dorme Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Hi everyone!

I have a question, for the boots:

I have seen boots like the pic that Darth_Eagle has so *wonderfully* provided, but they are black/brown. Is there a possibility that I could spray paint them that cream color?

thanks!

Oh, and here are some GREAT pics!

thenextamidala.com

thenextamidala.com

This is a excellent pic, but is a *bit* spoilerish

thenextamidala.com

thenextamidala.com

-~Dorme~-

14. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Hi, all...wow, it's been busy around here.

I hope everyone who endeavored to had a nice Easter. :~)

Also, there's a nifty silvery toy called the "Bubble Blaster" that closely resembles Ami's blaster, I believe.

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    New pics of this costume [face_clown]

[image=http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/mnt/media/image/launched/2002-04-03/padme.jpg]
    [image=http://www.granavenida.com/natalieportman/GALERIAS/Ep2-trailer/cinemania_esp_abril2002.jpg]

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Mrs_M finds all the cool pics! :D

17. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Actually, I could say the same about you [face_clown] You always come up with pics I haven't seen!

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    That first picture is a postcard which will be distributed in Singapore's Cinemas, mostly Golden Village ones, I heard. (Didn't find any at the cinemas near my place) I missed the Anakin ones :_| :_| which had been distributed since last Thursday (*cursing* at Straits Times for announcing it only yesterday :( ) and now hope can catch the other 7.

But, but the nearest GV cinema is 15 mins away from my place by bus . . . . maybe tomorrow on my way home cause Padme may be released this week! :eek:

19. sabe-oola

Mar 14, 2002
    DOes anyone have any suggestions on how to make the pouches on the belt??? I have run out of ideas.....i have a khaki colored belt lying around here, but I can't figure out what to make those darned pouches out of (that doesn't require sewing )
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

20. sabe-oola

Mar 14, 2002
    Anyone???

21. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Plywood/Balsam/Light Wooden Blocks with the leather/fabric pasted onto it to create that pouch look? :p I heard some fellows doing the Boba Fett Belt did this.

You can either handsew the "holder" for the belt to go through the back of the pouch or just penknife 2 slits at the back to allow the belt to go in and out of the pouch (but make sure for the back of the block, you didn't or only put the glue around the sides!) :)

22. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Yeay! More pics!

OK, it looks like to me that the lines on the front do a wonderful job of disguising/making an ornament of a built-in shelf bra which is sewn to the front of the shirt. (I assume just the front as this is how most exercise wear is done; additionally, there are no similar lines in the back.) How can I do the same type of thing with my shirt without it "puckering" at the attachment points?

23. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Well, I just finished my Leia Ceremonial Gown this weekend and already I'm bored and am looking for something new to do. Just got my Entertainment weekly magazine and there are pics of this outfit! I love the torn look also that is shown in it. So I figured I'd check out this thread and start collecting ideas and pics. If anyone can tell me how to post those pics on here I will. GentleBant, I was thinking the same thing after looking at the entertainment pics. I'm sure thats how they did it and clevery disguised it with the design on the front.

24. FiorCara

Sep 9, 2001
    Sabe, do you intend to USE the pouches? I know I do!!! Cool costume AND funcitonal! :)

You could by small cardbord gift boxes, or small balsa boxes and hot glue some leather or vynel to them, if you are really really trying to avoid sewing.

~Caleigh

25. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    I have looked at a bunch of photos you guys have all posted... And I have inquries about the boots.

How fragile would doing a plaster cast of the legs and then using resin to make the final piece for painting? Mainly the resin part is my concern, the plaster would just be used as a mold. Any other material reccommendations would be great too for that part of the outfit.

Any help asap would be wonderful!

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.