main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Padme Blue Tatooine Dress

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lelila, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    OBI-DAWN- I think it's because I spend half my life there, and if a speck of dust falls on the floor I see it! LOL!!
    In theory the lined burlap should work, but I thought about playing around with it to see how it lays and looks. You might just have to warn people not to touch you while you're wearing it-LOL!!

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    For the poncho part, I'm using cotton duck. I haven't cut it out yet, but the texture and weight of it look and feel right to me. For lining, well... I *had* some fabric I was going to use, but ended up using for something else. So, I'm probably going to order some satin from Dharma. :) Love love LOVE Dharma. Yes. Excuses to order from them are plentiful. :D Anyway, I had the same idea for the sleeves Ferd. WOOHOO!! I'm not using boning, though. It's... something else. I forget what it's called. It's more of a mesh that's about a 1/2-inch wide, and is fairly stiff. You find it *near* the boning, though.

Can't wait to get this one finished. :) :) kreleia needs a new costume.

^.~

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I worried more about the colour than the texture, mine is in a totally wrong fabric, but since I'm in a hurry and had it at home I'm doing it. I might redo the dress later on in a better fabric.

I was lucky with the underdress, I had a dress with a perfect skirt, and even though the top is a bit wrong, I only had to duy it blue and it works.

I just have to finish the outer yellow circle and do the embroideries on the slieves now, I'm a bit worried about those though, do you have any suggestions?

4. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    You guys have some really great ideas for this dress. When I finally get to remake this dress, I'll have tons to go on. Thanks a lot guys :) Can't wait to see all of the pics of your dresses. But like Obi-Dawn, I have another obsession that is taking up all of my time now-the purple dress. So needless to say it'll probably be a while before I take another look at this dress :(

5. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    KRELEIA- I think the meshy stuff near the boning is horsehair braid. It's often used in hems to give them body and shape and would work wondefully for this project--it alson comes in different weights.
    Great minds think allike!!! :) YEAH!!!!!

6. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Yep, I believe that's it! I forgot to look while at JoAnn's today, but that sounds right. **high-fives Ferd** :D WOOHOOO!!

^.^

7. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Okay, so I *finally* got around to dyeing the cotton duck blue. [face_blush] Yeah, I've only had it for two months. But, OMG, it turned out so PERFECT!! I used the natural unbleached cotton duck from Dharma, and dyed it using their Procyon Dye in Lapis (#96). Can we say GORGEOUS!?!? I'm officially sold on their dyes now. WOOHOOO!! :D This was the first time I've used theirs, rather than RIT, and the color is SO much richer and deeper than RIT could ever achieve. [face_love] (**end commercial**)

Anyway, I'm hoping to start cutting fabric for this dress tomorrow. :) Finally, some progress. I'm SO looking forward to having this one!! YAY!!!

kreleia ^.^

8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I've finished the circles now, I just have to come up with something that will look good on the slieves, I have one more week before I'm supposed to wear, I will have to work hard the next few days.

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Ok, I have decided to paint the yellow stripes on the slieves, there's no way I can get it to look nice with embroideries. I might still embroider the lilac emblem though.

10. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Kreleia,
    I use the Dhrama trading company's naturaland Syntheic fabric dyes. They are beautiful. When I have to dry some silk, I'll have to get my hands on a 15 gallon plastic trash can to dye it since washers for an apartment compelexe aren't the
    best to use, OR the bath tub.<G> Those dyes are good huh? Their dye expert knows what she's talking about. :-D

Mynn

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Ok, I had time to finish everything, but some small details on my dress before the FF meeting this weekend, here are some photos from that occassion.

edit: sorry have to delete the link, due to some problems with the website.

12. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Obi-Anne- Your dress looks great!! :) But I couldn't get the first link to work??

By the way--Just thought I would drop some info--I was in Hancock's over the weekend and I found a really nice silk blend in a perfect blue for the poncho--and it has a great weave to it to embroider--60" wide and here's the best part.... $1.99 a yard!!!
    Woo-HOO!!!! Check out your Hancock's--you never know what is lurking on the sale table.

Oh--one more thing---for those of you who have embroidered this poncho--did you use DMC? If so, how many threads? Did you use yarn? Do you do padded stitches or just regular stitches??

Thanks Ya'll!
    :) FERD

13. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Looks good Obi Anne :)

14. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Obi-Anne it looks wonderful!

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I embroidered everything with yarn, my mother loves knitting so I had quite a lot to choose from. I'm not sue about what kind of stitching you mean, I guess it's regular.

And thanks for the compliments. [face_blush]

And the first link works for me. :confused:

16. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Obi-Anne- the link works for me now :confused: Who knows--my laptop is Coo-Coo Wacky!!

A padded stitch is where you make tiny stitches in the spot where the embroidery is and then go over it with the actual embroidery--the under stitches work to "pad" the top embroidery and hence raise it up a bit more than regular embroidery. With yarn, it's probably not necessary.
    FERD :)

17. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I was a Joanne Fabrics a week or so ago, and I saw some wrinkly turquoise blue cotton gauze that would be absolutely PERFECT for the underdress.

The color was dead on.

18. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    In that case Ferdalump, I did regular stitches.

19. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    The dress looks GREAT Obi-Anne!!! Fantastic work!!!

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Thanks. [face_blush]

21. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Okay - finished the light-blue underdress last night. Easy stuff. :) The pattern I used worked out really nice, and only needed slight modification (making the neck a "V" line, and then lengthened the body for the skirt). I need to re-wrinkle it now so that it hangs a little better, but I'm pleased with the result. YAY!! Poncho part, here I come.

kreleia ^.^

22. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I have been lurking here for quite a while...Obi Anne-your dress looks great!
    Kreleia-your new signature cracks me up...that is how I feel about running my household...ha ha ha
    This is by far one of my faves on my costume to do list...I definitely want to make this one for conventioning-just do to the comfort of wear factor. When I start-I want to embroider it all...*ACK*
    I am going to have to check out that crinkle fabric you guys found at the fabric store...I am a goner for anything "dead on".

23. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    For the sleeve details that look like "flames" I made a stencil out of a plastic template. I sketched out the design, and then placed it under the transparent plastic and cut the design out with an blade. I then sponged on the paint (bright yellow to orange) onto the fabric and once it dryed you heat set it with an iron. I also used a stencil adhesive to keep the stecil from slipping when I was painting. I'm embroidery all the white, and the center design--but this method works really well for the sleeves. If you were really patient you could probably do the center design the same way.
    :) Ferd

24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Yeah, I definetly think it's almost impossible to get the flames right with embroidery, paint also gives better effect when you can shade the colours into each other.

25. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    To embroider the flames right, you would have to get shade of dmc in the yellow to red-about 10 shades so they melt right into one another, and embroider them in a jagged way, rather than a line of yellow, a line of yellow-orange, etc. It can be done. My mother in law has done needlepoint for years, and it has to be done with very small stitches. It WILL be very time consuming.
    She just got a pattern from a needlework company that is of the grecian god statues-it looks SO real from a couple feet away! It was done in about 20 shades of taupes and greys. You won't be able to do it with a pack of yellow, orange, and red.
    The painting is a lot easier to do if time and ease is a concern, but I just don't want to discourage those who may want to stitch it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.